back to article YouTube Trends Map pokes tacky underbelly of American psyche

YouTube has unveiled a new way to place your finger on the pulse of American culture – even though the beat it detects may accompany a tune you might not want to hear. "Are teens in the South watching the same videos as middle-aged folks in New England?" writes YouTube Trends Manager Kevin Allocca in a Tuesday post on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. iLurker

Faulty logic...

Just because something is popular - as measured by the number of views - doesn't mean it's worth watching.

All it means is that millions of morons watched it.

1. C 18
      Meh

Re: Faulty logic...

>All it means is that millions of morons watched it.

Does it? Really? I would propose that 'all it means' is that millions of people clicked on it. This would mean that the trend reflects the propensity of sharing and response to sharing.

Watching a video to its conclusion is a different thing altogether...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

WTF?

"All-in-all, the Trends Map is a fascinating peek into the American psyche..."

The author is from San Fran. and the author really believes that this is a accurate portrayal of the "American psyche" as well as fascinating.

For those not from the USA, please remember that people from San Francisco are "special" and they should not be considered to be a working example of anything other than "special".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WTF?

I much prefer people from that area to idiots from the centre of the country.

2. ecofeco Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Californians, much like New Yorkers, think they are the entire country.

< perfect example

As for this trend thing, also a perfect example of useless information. Noise is all it is.

1. Matt Piechota

"Californians, much like New Yorkers, think they are the entire country."

And yet, the middle folks most often use the phrase "Real Americans".

3. peyton?
      Facepalm

Dude, he said "peek". Not "Trend Map definitively and absolutely reflects all things American."

Similar to how your post only offers a "peek" into your psyche. Happily, it's not definitive.

3. plrndl
    Meh

American psyche

I think that most of us already know enough about the American psyche to know that we don't want to go there.

4. disgruntled yank

At the moment

An interview with Charles Ramsey, the guy who rescued three long-kidnapped women in Cleveland, seems to have a big lead among both men and women pretty much across the US, with here and there a music video intruding.

5. The First Dave
    Facepalm

Some one could have warned me that men play water-polo in the States - that was a very different video to what I was expecting.

6. ian 22
    Facepalm

Impressive findings

Especially the "men and women differ" finding. Truly?

Face, meet palm.

1. Tom 13

Re: Impressive findings

It's a male Frisco thing. Sort of like they'll tell you how much they respect and value women until you get them drunk and they tell you what they really think. Unless of course you're a woman in which case you might be surprised when they act on what they really think.

7. IronSteve

Great...I can't wait for all the lazy journalism regarding what's trending on YouTube...now broken down by demographic...Yay!

1. Tom 13

If they tweet it

will we be able to get a meta-trend via Twitter trending?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most interesting video for the 55-64 age group

in Milwaukee, WI; New York, NY; Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX; Austin, TX; Denver, CO; Las Vegas, NV; Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, FL and Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL is Grand Theft Auto V: Trevor Trailer.

Rock on, Rock Stars.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like