This page has been left intentionally blank

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Wharram

Just airbagged?

Or was the reassignment more complete?

1. TrishaD

Re: Just airbagged?

Given her overall shape, this certainly isnt a disguise - hormones dont give you those sorts of curves in a year. A couple of years at the least would be my guess. So the surmise that she is in fact transsexual is probably accurate.

In Europe (including the UK) she'd most likely be given the option of serving the rest of her sentence in a women's prison, but I've no idea what the situation is like in Colombia. Hopefully they'll do the civilized thing.

She should certainly be serving her time - gender dysphoria is no defence against the crimes she's been found guilty of.

2. The Indomitable Gall

The Spanish article refers to "him" frequently, says "trasvesti" (not a false friends) and "dressed as a woman, with breasts (he was operated on). So it would appear that yes, he was "just airbagged" and yes, it is still acceptable to refer to him as him. (Although there is no mention of whether or not he wants to become a she in the long term.)

1. Richard Wharram

Chaps with baps then?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Convincing.

Rebolledo actually makes a fairly convincing woman - which is not always the case.

It might be worthwhile to note the sacrifice that this entails (see what I did there?) on the part of not only Rebolledo but also other transsexuals: as far as I know (and I could be wrong) they become non-orgasmic after surgery.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Convincing.

AC for obvious reasons - but I think kudos has to go out to her/his surgeon, looks a fine job to me ;-)

? Was he a particularly effeminate looking guy to start with - haven't gone as far as doing a before/after comparison search to be certain ?

2. A J Stiles
      Mushroom

Re: Convincing.

Ah, another one who confuses orgasm with ejaculation.

They are, in fact, two distinct phenomena. Orgasm in men usually triggers ejaculation; but if and when you do finally learn how to get the fireworks without the mess, it will prove to be one of the most worthwhile experiences of your life.

<-- This is what it feels like, if done properly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Gimp

>> This is what it feels like, if done properly.

"OH CHRIST IT'S BURNING! IT'S BURNING! MAKE IT STOP! I NEED YOGHURT NOW, ANY FLAVOUR, NOW! I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH FAT!"

(at least that's how leg-crossing I find your icon. Now I'll try...)

<=====

3. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    IT Angle

The fugitive was busted?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New bitch on the block...

Not going to be fun for "her" if she gets sent to a male prison - on the other hand, she might enjoy it a bit too much.

Though I suspect she'd get treated even worse if "she" was sent to a womens prison...

5. joeW

Look at the pic linked in the article - how uncomfortable is that cop on the left! You can almost see what he's thinking.... "Don't look at the boobs, don't look at the boobs, for the love of god DON'T LOOK AT THE BOOBS!!!"

1. Richard 120

The rest of us, comfortably off camera and not being officers of the law in charge of the prisoner are allowed to look at the boobs and think "Ahhhh BOOBS, yay!"

6. TrishaD

@AC

Transsexual women dont actually become non-orgasmic as such. Hormones do make you infertile and prevent erectile function over time however, which isnt quite the same thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@TrishaD

"Transsexual women dont actually become non-orgasmic as such."

What does that mean? - it's not really informative. When reading about Danielle Bunton Berry, who underwent the surgery to become a woman, he complained that he was non-orgasmic and said that the surgery usually renders a person non-orgasmic. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danielle_Bunten_Berry )

"Then in the final bit of irony, after surgery my new genitals were non-orgasmic (like 80% of my TG sisters). " (Danielle Bunton Berry from http://web.archive.org/web/20110725030149/http://www.anticlockwise.com/dani/personal/changes/dont.htm )

More generally, the story (and also the linked Spanish-language article as far as I can tell) did not mention a single word about gender dysphoria, or that Rebolledo was gay, or even that he was a cross-dresser prior to the surgery. My impression was that his sex change was purely as a means of evading capture and re-imprisonment.

1. Aldous
        Stop

Re: @TrishaD

"My impression was that his sex change was purely as a means of evading capture and re-imprisonment"

Yep after all its such an easy procedure that takes minutes to do, costs nothing and totally does not change your life in the slightest. Don't you think it would have been easier to get out of Columbia? or even having face changing plastic surgery rather than a gender swap?

Also gender identity and sexuality are not hard linked. There are MTF and FTM transsexuals who still have relationships with people of their original gender. 20 years is also a long time in surgical science, techniques change and get perfected (of course it depends how far along she was hormones+implants achieve a lot)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Aldous

"Yep after all its such an easy procedure that takes minutes to do, costs nothing and totally does not change your life in the slightest. Don't you think it would have been easier to get out of Columbia? or even having face changing plastic surgery rather than a gender swap?"

Your objections to her gender reassignment surgery are specious. "Getting out of Columbia" where he presumably was born and lived all his life is also an enormous change in his life and would not "cost nothing and totally not change his life in the slightest" and would still leave him in danger of arrest and extradition and serving out the remainder of his sentence of sixty years in prison - which is itself another outcome that would not "cost nothing and totally not change his life in the slightest".

"20 years is also a long time in surgical science" but for some things it makes no difference at all. I quoted one person, who actually went through gender reassignment surgery, and who said that 80% of people men who go through it and become women are non-orgasmic. Why don't _you_ come up with some reputable source to refute that - instead of merely pretending to be an expert?

"Also gender identity and sexuality are not hard linked. There are MTF and FTM transsexuals who still have relationships with people of their original gender. " I didn't say gender identity and sexuality are "hard linked". (I am guessing that I know what you are trying but couldn't quite manage to say. Because what you are saying is that a man who had relationships with other men will still have relationships with men after becoming a transsexual woman. Well duh. It's not like he's going to become a lesbian. Or maybe you'd like to make some specious objections to that too?) And if you weren't so intent on being some sort of expert, you might have been able to see that supports my original point - that his gender identity and sexuality might not have all that much bearing on his decision to have the surgery and that he could have been a sexually-well-adjusted male but still had the surgery and still been interested in, and had/have relations with, women and maybe not have to spend 60 years in prison. And if he did have to spend 60 years in prison as a woman, then he would spend it in a women's prison, and been able to have relations with either lesbians, or situationally-lesbian women. You understand what the alternative would have been, I hope - being victimized by predatory, situationally-homosexual men in a men's prison.

Among other things, you need to consider the meaning of "sixty years in a Colombian prison". Because Club Fed does not have resorts there. And it's conceivable that some people - in this case a vicious criminal who is probably not all that much like you and whose way of thinking might perhaps be totally alien to you - would find gender-reassignment surgery and a whole-life term in a women's prison to be the least bad of all available alternatives.

2. TrishaD

Re: @TrishaD

Well... as I said, given their appearance, this person is likely to have been on hormones for more than a year, so unless she was remarkably prescient, I doubt it was done for the purpose of evading capture. Which would lead me to suspect gender dysphoria - a person uncomfortable with birth gender and transitioning to the gender they associate with psychologically. No question of them being gay or not - sexuality and gender identity are two seperate things.

Regarding 'orgasmic', its not the same thing as being capable of sexual arousal. Hormones do suppress sexual arousal, but post operative arousal has a great deal to do with the skills of the surgeon involved in retaining erectile tissue and getting it in the right place. Additionally, it''s common for women (transsexual or otherwise) to describe orgasm as a 'whole body experience' which isnt focussed in the same sense that male orgasm is.

7. Elmer Phud

A Tom Baker moment?

"Aaaargh, ye've got a woman's beard"

8. Joeman

Looking like that, HE is going to be very popular in prison...

9. Don Jefe
    WTF?

Lineup Photos

I love how they've got her in front of one of the sponsor boards like at film releases & they did a full 360 shoot so we could all admire her dress.

This topic is closed for new posts.