back to article US Department of Defense fingers China as top cyber threat

A new report to Congress by the US Department of Defense (DoD) includes some of the strongest language yet implicating the People's Republic of China in recent global cyber-attacks. "In 2012, numerous computer systems around the world, including those owned by the U.S. government, continued to be targeted for intrusions," the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Miller
    Facepalm

China involved in cyber-attacks

Not much gets past the boys at the DoD, does it?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: China involved in cyber-attacks

And yet if wikileaks had leaked this - it would be top secret military inteligence and treason.

1. Vimes

Speaking of wikileaks:

http://news.antiwar.com/2013/05/06/manning-judge-orders-secret-practice-trial/

Might as well get some kangaroos ready too while they're at it...

2. Vimes

One name for you: McKinnon.

And the DoD still expects to be taken seriously in the information security stakes?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

"One name for you: McKinnon."

I think your point is that if they knew their stuff McKinnon wouldn't have got in. But there's a follow on, that if they'd spent less time hounding the guy and trying to extradite him, maybe they could have spent the time asking how a lone oddbod was able to get in so easily, and what they ought to do to stop things getting worse. So two fails for the price of one.

But now it's all the fault of the Chinese. Lucky for the US taxpayer that its never the fault of the US authorities.

2. Rukario
    Trollface

In other news

China fingers US Department of Defense as top cyber threat.

1. Eddy Ito
      Pint

Re: In other news

Turnabout is fair play after all and I'm quite certain they are both right.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Strong?

I didn't read the article, but this doesn't seem strong, in fact, the second quote even adds a bit of plausible deniability to the wording.

Also, I've never understood if it was that the USA is better at hacking the Chinese, or the Chinese just don't publish their reports of the USA hacking them.

1. TrishaD

Re: Strong?

Its not really a question of 'Are the Chinese hacking US systems?', but 'Why would they not be hacking them?'

If I were a nation state trying to build myself a viable industrial complex for the purpose of profit, I certainly would be.

4. Anomalous Cowturd
    Holmes

Hmmm...

Over 90% of intrusion attempts on my server trace to .ru IP blocks. Mostly "academic" blocks, at that. Do they run hacking courses at Russian Universities?

YMMV.

1. Vimes

Re: Hmmm...

The majority of attempts on my site seems to be originating from US IP addresses at the moment, with Russia/eastern Europe being a close second.

As for the rest:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2013/04/21/Vimes_Serious_WPAD_flaw_in_IE/

Perhaps a more productive course of action would be for the DoD to focus their attention a little closer to home? If they tried to do something about US companies releasing software with these sorts of mistakes then maybe at least the Chinese would find things a little more challenging?

Avoid using IE for your browser if you're in the UK.

The mention of Verizon is also interesting given that they have been caught handing over to the NSA. The US government don't have to hack people when they have the active cooperation of the telecoms companies.

1. Vimes

Re: Hmmm...

caught handing over information to the NSA

If anybody at the register is reading this, please consider allowing all your users to have editing facilities.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missed typo ..

"Differentiating between civil and military end-use is very challenging in the USA due to opaque corporate structures, hidden asset ownership, and the connections of commercial personnel with the central government,"

6. mhenriday
    WTF?

«China's armed forces have directly benefited

from the expanding Chinese civilian economy ...» Well, that does seem frightening, especially given that the US military has not directly benefited from the expanding US civilian economy ever since the end of WW II - at least under periods when the latter was expanding....

Henri

7. Stephen Gray
    FAIL

Spys

We all have them, why is this a big deal? We spy on enemies and indeed "friendly" regimes. How shocking that China might do the same. Are all Ameerkans beyond stupid? Perhaps they've never heard of the CIA, NSA et al. Another EPIC fail.

8. tjdawson

We are in trouble if more than five years after it was apparent to many, the DOD is now making this observation! Can anyone say "Pearl Harbor?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like