back to article Twitter turns off Tweetdeck's life support after lengthy coma

Twitter has effectively killed UK-based Tweetdeck Ltd just two years after it bought the social media dashboard for $40m. The final blow was dealt by failing to file its subsidiary's accounts with Blighty's companies registrar, as required by law, forcing officials to dissolve the biz. Documents at Companies House reveal that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Flame

"hence our agreement with the move to dissolve it"

Oh go on, go ahead and dissolve it if you must, if you insist on having quaint local laws. Our HR people in San Fran were too busy sipping frothy coffees in Starbucks.

2. wowfood

fined £375 each time

£375? Each time? Oh no, how ever will Twitter handle such a huge dent in their profits. Oh woe is me, that £375 may very well put them out of business. How can they even hope to repay such a huge amount of money. They might even have to downgrade from premium cola to *gulp* regular cola.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: fined £375 each time

If you think about it, £750 is quite a big dent in, ahem, '£16,500' profit.

2. JayBizzle

Twitter actually makes a profit now?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My first thought too. I actually searched to see. Turns out that my net income for the 2011, 2012 year was better that Twitter UK.

3. ElNumbre
    Unhappy

End of the Road

I'm reaching my own end of the road with Tweetdeck with them fazing out the Facebook support. Time to investigate other options. Any suggestions?

1. hitmouse

Re: End of the Road

learn the difference between phase and faze?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I doubt he'll be phased by your criticism.

2. Psmiffy

Having recently heard of the demise of the Tweetdeck phone app I did some investigations and the best option I have come up with is Hootsuite. Basically does what Tweetdeck did and a little more, and has a decent phone app too.

There are of course a number of other paid and free apps and a quick search for Tweetdeck alternatives will reveal these, but for now I am sticking with Hootsuite.

As a friend of mine told me "First Google Reader, now Tweetdeck, my tech world is crumbling around me"

1. Tom Chiverton 1
        Thumb Up

I've found https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.janesoft.janetter.android.free&hl=en which TBH has all the bits of TweetDeck I need (custom columns, multiple accounts).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do it this way?

I know this is trivia, but wouldn't it have been more conventional to wind the company up in the normal way rather than just stop submitting accounts? Perhaps they are above that sort of thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why do it this way?

Cheaper than getting accountant/lawyer/co. secretary to write a few letters and sign their name. Then get the paperwork wrong and attract a huge fine for willfully filling in a tax form incorrectly. Then there's embarrassment and expensive QCs legal advice for being hauled up in front of a select committee. I should imagine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like