back to article Peak Apple: Foxconn contemplating life after Cupertino

Foxconn is reportedly planning for an Apple-free future after a massive slump in orders from Cupertino. Apple's favourite production company is moving away from simply building other people's designs and trying to break into a new market with the introduction of a range of flatscreen televisions. However, since their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin Johnston

Laudable but...

just hope they don't make the mistake a certain microphone manufacturer did.

1. FartingHippo
      Paris Hilton

Re: Laudable but...

Huh? That's either far too obscure or far too clever for me.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. WeaselNo7
        Paris Hilton

The trick is to nod and exchange knowing looks with everyone around you.

1. Kevin Johnston

Perhaps I should have mentioned Nokia and HTC One to help out.....it was only a matter of days ago in this very august website though...well, two weeks ago anyway

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes sense

Apple are inherently niche players - they make a small number of high priced devices using a very insular business approach. In the short term, iOS managed to gain a big market share, but in the longer term they will go back down to niche market shares. If Foxconn don't start preparing for this, then other companies are going to pick up the opportunities in the rest of the market.

Apple will continue to make big profits out of selling these niche products with high margins, but their manufacturers with razor thin margins wont - they need big, big volume.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Makes sense

>Apple will continue to make big profits out of selling these niche products with high margins

Probably, but Foxconn don't see those margins, just $6 a unit - hence time to move on to new customers and a chance at the serious profits they should have been making all these years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's exactly what I just said.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"That's exactly what I just said."

Only if you're both the same AC.

3. Steve Todd
    Stop

Lets add a little sanity

Apple sales for last quarter were actually up. They sold more, cheaper devices, at a lower margin hence the drop in profits. Oddly enough the comentards here abouts have been screaming about how they should sell cheaper devices. You got what you wished for, why are you suprised?

Apple only form about 35% of Foxconn's sales, so even if their sales to Apple fell by the same percentage as Apple's headline profits (unlikely, cheaper devices tend to cost not much less to assemble) then that's less than a 10% reduction due to Apple. Sales must therefore be down across their whole client base.

1. Ted Treen
      Boffin

Re: Lets add a little sanity

Steve, you fool.

Don't you realise that any comment on El Reg which doesn't heap vitriol on Apple will attract large numbers of downvotes from those of a certain mindset...

4. Jurassic
    Mushroom

Morons of the world, unite!

"The Taiwanese company is responsible for the manufacture of Apple's hardware."

... AND Google, AND Microsoft, AND Dell, AND motorola, AND Sony, AND Nokia, and Many others.

But any time there is a problem at Foxconn (a company not owned by Apple, or Google, or Microsoft, or any of its other clients) the morons of the world make fools of themselves by blaming Apple?

It's time for those people to get themselves a brain cell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Morons of the world, unite!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/thumb_up_32.png

Agree entirely. And how about the deaths? Yes there were some but the last one, according to the link in the article, was nearly three years ago after a lot of work was done to reduce/stop the deaths. How many times does the same story have to be resurrected?

Get some news for a change, please!

1. Michael Hawkes
        Alert

There was a suicide as recently as April: http://micgadget.com/34842/suicides-return-foxconn-workers-forced-to-work-long-hours-in-silence/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Although I have sympathy for anyone who feels suicide is the way out we need to put it into perspective - thee factories employ hundreds of thousands of people - how does the suicide rate compare to a similar demographic of people in China who do not work for Foxconn.

Or how about the suicide rate of a similar demographic in the US?

1. gnufrontier

The U.S. suicide rate is higher than the U.S. murder rate. You are your own worst enemy. China's suicide rate is almost twice the U.S. rate.

2. Ted Treen
      Pint

I'll echo my comment (above) to Steve...

And send you a beer as consolation.

5. Mage Silver badge

Radio China (Not they I listen to them usually)

Radio China last night had a very critical article on Foxconn. I remember wben Foxconn made dodgy 486 Mobos.

Of course a Taiwanese company isn't a PRC Comapany.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like