back to article US Navy builds master control for military drone ops

The US Office of Naval Research (ONR) has successfully trialed a new computer system that controls airborne drones, automated craft on (or under) the water, and ground-based robots online via a central server. The new Common Control System (CCS) – although El Reg bets its developers call it Skynet – would allow any combatant …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Keep dreaming .

"Some day in the near future you'll have a Sailor controlling an Air Force unit's unmanned system .."

<chuckle>. That'll never happen. Not in a million years.

More likely outcome is that each force will build their own skynet that may or may not be based on the same technology and may or may not talk to the other force's skynets.

Under no circumstances is anyone going to hand control of their toys to the competition.

2. Vimes

On a not entirely related note there's already a system called Skynet. It's operated for the benefit of the MoD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(satellite)

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Science fiction

"Sailor controlling an Air Force unit's ... or a Marine controlling an Army "

I think you are more likely to have a joint Royal Navy / French Navy nuclear deterrent. Or a joint US/Russian infantry unit in Afghanistan - than you are having the Navy cooperate with the USAF or the Marines with the Army.

4. JaitcH
    WTF?

It's nice to know I am a SOMEBODY with a ...

Bi-Directional Remote Video Terminal (BDRVT) in my pocket.

And my TV, I presume, is a Uni-Directional Remote Video Terminal (UDRVT)?

So, help me out, what is the InterNet screen/computer to be called?

These letters are getting so confusing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps in Australia

Operational command of the ADF is located at a purpose-built 'joint' headquarters comprising personnel from the three services. It includes a continuously manned Joint Control Centre, the main role of which is to "plan, monitor and control" ADF operations and exercises. So, at least here the three services* talk to each other. Also, we have plans to acquire more US drones.

*We don't have Marines.

1. Rattus Rattus

Re: Perhaps in Australia

"We don't have Marines"

We have the Australian SAS. We don't need Marines.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

In CyberSpace, are All the Best Betas Servered by NOBODIES ....

.... for Immaculate Security Protection, Actively Afforded Anonymously

It's nice to know I am a SOMEBODY with a ... Bi-Directional Remote Video Terminal (BDRVT) in my pocket.

And my TV, I presume, is a Uni-Directional Remote Video Terminal (UDRVT)?

So, help me out, what is the InterNet screen/computer to be called? …. JaitcH Posted Monday 6th May 2013 23:46 GMT

For those who and/or that which be Ready, Willing and SMARTR Enabled to Create and Beta Utilise CHAOS* and CyberIntelAIgent Security Systems with Virtual Protection Programs/Pogroms/Projects/Protocols for …… well, let us consider the Myriad Fields of Conflict and Confrontation or Aid and Assistance to Mayhem and Madness for Reversal of Fortunes and RealLocation of Universal Assets in/for/to Greater IntelAIgent Game Play for/in/to Peace and Harmony, Sanity and Satisfaction …. would that be answered quite truthfully enough to be considered perfectly worthy of being called a Global Operating Device (GOD), JaitcH

A blasphemy to some who be struggling, I suppose, but a blessed relief and Common Control System and AIDevice to others, methinks, who be free of spirit and soul and of a greater mind to explore and exploit Novel Possibilities with Guaranteed Certainties.

*Clouds Hosting Advanced Operating Systems

Now, place that on someone's desk and Inbox, and you will soon and immediately discover whether intelligence escapes them and they be unfit for future leading share positions in proprietary intellectual property. .... although nowadays, with all internet action and inter-reaction supposedly being monitored by challenged and paranoid authorities, is that action probably extraordinarily rendered superfluous with the simple sharing of it here and elsewhere on the Internet.

7. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Mushroom

"All the data is transferred and controlled via a private cloud network"

Seriously? So if Amazon goes down (again) so do our drones?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Amazon"

The clue is in the word private.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Black Helicopters

OMG Soldiers controlling submarines, Marines controlling USAF assets.

Truly we are in the END TIMES

Do you need to ask why the helicopters?

1. Vimes

Re: OMG Soldiers controlling submarines, Marines controlling USAF assets.

Even worse - from the PoV of those working within the armed forces - a unified control system implies a unified help system.

Cue the picture of that damned Clippy assistant popping up with 'You appear to be trying to bomb Iran. Would you like some help?'

9. Will Stephenson

Carrier Command?

I wonder if Geoff Crammond had a hand in this software.

10. Yag
    Coat

Muhuhuhahaha...

"Some day in the near future you'll have a Sailor controlling an Air Force unit's unmanned system, or an Airman sitting at a desk controlling a naval unmanned system or a Marine controlling an Army platform"

or so they'll think!

Mine is the one with the master remote control in the pocket.

11. squigbobble
    Trollface

Skynet?

MCP, shurely?

12. bugalugs

I

wanna puke. Management-speak murder. Death is so easy when it's somebody else.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like