back to article Dunkin' Donuts temps S Korea with ultrasonic tags

Korean commuters are being enticed into eating baked goods for breakfast with ultrasonic tags, making them race to Dunkin' Donuts for discounts and social sharing. Wanting to push up morning consumption Dunkin' Donuts has resorted to filling its stores with ultrasound so smartphone-wielding Koreans can confirm their arrival …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

"dogs shouldn't be hanging round the counter of a food shop anyway."

Two problems with this:

1) "Dunkin' Donuts" sells nothing even approximating food.

2) You've obviously never been to Korea. Personally, I've never seen a food store in Korea that didn't have one or more local dawgs about, looking for handouts.

As a side-note, the last thing I'm looking for when I'm in southeastasia is fucking American so-called fast-food calories-without-nutrition awfulness. And that's coming from a bloody Yank.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: "dogs shouldn't be hanging round the counter of a food shop anyway."

I would have thought it would be pretty hard to find any dogs at all within a mile radius of any Korean eatery...

2. JDX Gold badge

Ah, it's cool to diss things that are popular. What a non-conformist you are.

Although doughnuts for breakfast.... eew. Are DD really competing with SB though, surely DD sells coffee to go with the donuts?

1. jake Silver badge

@JDX (was: Re: "dogs shouldn't be hanging round the counter of a food shop anyway.")

I'm not dissing it because it's popular. I'm dissing it because it's crap, and needs dissing.

As for my lack of conformance ... Please report to the nearest brain-washing center. You are starting to gain a clue, and we can't have that, now can we?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Diss, Norfolk

"Ah, it's cool to diss things that are popular."

Ironically, I get the impression that these days the new hotness is calling people out for hating things that are popular.

Also, isn't "diss" really passe now? I thought "hate on" was the new fad amongst mouth-breathers these days...

(Thinks... is the phrase "new hotness" old and busted now? Presumably that would make "old and busted" old and busted as well.)

"Although doughnuts for breakfast.... eew."

Er... sounds like you're actually agreeing with the guy, then!

3. Euripides Pants
      Headmaster

Shirley the Korean peninsula is in Northeast Asia.....

1. jake Silver badge

Euripides: Late night brain-fart on my part. Mea culpa.

My location might be a fair piece off, but the content still applies regardless of location, no? :-)

1. Euripides Pants
          Thumb Up

Have an upvote, my brain farts too.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shirley, "tempts"?

3. frank ly

Breakfast Dining ???

Are they incapable of pouring out cornflakes and milk for themselves in the morning, or making porridge in less than 5 minutes in the microwave?

1. hplasm
      Facepalm

Re: Breakfast Dining ???

Worse yet- have you seen the new 'Breakfast Biscuits' for 'Breakfast on the go' ?

FFS.... some people are sooooo busy these days....

4. Ageless Stranger
    Coat

...eating baked goods for breakfast with ultrasonic tags...

Crunchy!

5. g e

Strange this works

It implies the sampling frequency of most smartphone mics is extremely high. Say they use a 25kHz tone the mic would have to be sampling at around 60kHz or more.

Given their application, I'd have thought they'd be sampling around 32kHz or less to save CPU cycles and data bandwidth.

Granted, I'm not a mobile phone design engineer

6. Great Bu
    Black Helicopters

Is it just me....

...or did anyone else get the creepy feeling of mind control from watching the videos.

"We use inaudible ultrasound and smell sprays to control you"

7. illiad

y'all missed the point!!

If you bothered to look at the vid, you see it is NOT about donuts...

It is about getting coffee there! only the packed korean buses would make it work...

In Uk, the only response would be "must get a coffee when I get into work"... dunno about US..

8. AJ MacLeod

Vile

I find it hard enough to stomach eating anything at all in these places at the best of times, let alone first thing in the morning. Coffee and Doughnuts (or pretty much anything else that's sold in DD as far as I know) for breakfast is a truly repulsive idea, and I have a better one.

Instead of chomping, sheep-like, on creepy mind-control marketing powered rubbish - how about pouring some cereal/museli in a bowl and pouring some milk on it BEFORE you leave home? You won't have to faff about generating barcodes on your smartphone or paying or finding a seat or even walking to the calorie shop - just sit down, eat it and go. As a bonus, you can enjoy your breakfast in relative tranquility and won't have to suffer your commute on an empty stomach or tolerate the stomach-churning stench of bad coffee. Unless you're unfortunate enough to travel on a bus fitted with artificial-coffee-smell cannisters of course...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SMUG

Of course as a well-organised person, you don't need a SmartPhone, or any mobile phone of coarse, since you ensure that you schedule yourself when in reach of a land-line at work or home.

Your proseletysing is no better than "The Man"s proseletysing.

1. AJ MacLeod

Re: SMUG

Your logic is no better than your spelling... Why would one have to be better organised to eat breakfast at home on the way to work instead of in town on the way to work?

I hate getting up in the morning and am not exactly the world's most organised person and yet even I manage at least a few mouthfuls of cornflakes on the way out the door...

1. AJ MacLeod

Re: SMUG

GAH! I just knew there had to be a spelling mistake in one of my posts after making that dig... I demand an edit button!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too much money

I laugh at the people who are quite clearly incapable of looking after themselves and can't make themselves breakfast in the morning (Either by not getting up early enough or being too lazy) but will then nip into their nearest Starbucks or Cost and spend anywhere from a £5 upwards for a coffee and snack.

It all adds up, and when you're chucking nigh on £100 a month on that stuff, you've got to take stock of your personal organisation.

10. dssf

Severe Competition

DD is probably just doing this because their asses are being kicked by, singly or collectively:

- Krispy Kreme

- Tom-n-Tom's (Tom-Toms, colloquially locally)

- Holly's

- Homestead Coffee

- Caffeine Gurunaru

- Angel in Us

- Angel in You (maybe it is only in Wangshimni, where I drank a few times after it became AiY, probably a location bought out after AiU's lease expired or was bought out)

- Nestle's

- Starbucks

- etc, etc.

I have seen only a few Starbucks in my 6 months there, and only drank at 2 of them only because one of my Korean friends who used to work at one in his early college days thinks fondly of Starbucks.

Other than that, I used the ones I mentioned (Tom-Tom's the most), except Nestles and DD. I used KK once, but found the donuts lacking compared to the US version. Maybe they are healthier -- umm, less unhealthy due to the smaller sizes and lighter ingredients, I dunno.

Mostly, I think the DD and KK use smaller stores (as does one of the Korean shops I mentioned above) because the land costs are so prohibitively pricey. But, most of them are corporate owned, and since Koreans take their coffee SERIOUSLY, having dumped or recently shunned tea), the Ferengi ROA stating "Expand or Die" seems to have gripped the corporates.

DD probably is using this as an intense gimmick. But, too many Koreans eating fattening donuts are going to get fat and have "endtense" experiences. One of my Korean friends in Wangshimni laughed when I lamented, while staring at a woman carting off 3 or 4 boxes of western donuts, around 4PM or so on a Saturday, IIRC), "There are going to be a LOT of FFFFAT Korean pretty soon...."

But, it is funny (and correspondingly sad) to see a young, skinny Korean carrying a strap-banded stack of 3 or 4 boxes....

11. skeptical i
    Pint

There are no Korean brekkie shops cheaper?

Dunkins is cheaper than SBUX, but is it cheaper than any local/ Korean chains? Making a game out of running to save some money off something I'd buy anyway is a neat idea, but if the "save some money" part is a key ingredient of the game it's pro'ly only a matter of time before another shop offers a screaming deal between 0700 and 1000 (or whenever) to peel all customers away, not just those with fancy-dancy phones.

<-- Beer does too go with donuts, preferably a nice IPA with a honey/sugar-glazed, yummy. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like