back to article Google formally recognises Palestine: Puts it on the virtual map

Google has waded into the Middle East's most intractable conflict by recognising Palestine as an independent state. On 1 May, the advertising giant wiped the term Palestinian Territories from its localised search page, replacing it with Palestine. It follows a UN decision in October to name Palestine a non-member, observer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

About time

Well done Google.

1. asdf
      Trollface

Re: About time

Yeah now they just need to release an app or map view than can show you in real time the land being stolen, sorry being settled by its rightful (as in might makes right) owners.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another example of religious and political intolerance mucking up ordinary peoples lives.

Recognition of Palestine as a country is long overdue.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: AC

".....Recognition of Palestine as a country is long overdue." It was going to be recognised in 1948 by the UN, along with the original State of Israel, all part of the UN Partition Plan, only the Arabs decided that stopping the Jews having any land was more important than recognising the State of Palestine.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jews already had land there.

2. Chad H.

...Which all in all excuses Israels foot dragging of the peace process.

No, wait, it doesn't.

At least now they're being honest about a 2 state solution being dead.

FAIL

Re: Chad H. Re: AC

"...Which all in all excuses Israels foot dragging of the peace process......" Oh dear, some forget to give Chabdul access to the Web so he could actually learn some facts. Ignoring Hamas, who say they won't deal with Israel but just want to destroy it, shall we review progress with the "moderate" PNA (that being the marketing revamp for the old and terrorist PLO)? Bibi offers unconditional talks but Abbas insists on a settler development freeze. In August 2009 Bubi then freezes settler development, which is described by Hamas as a "dangerous move" (dangerous to Hamas as it could lead to peace). In December Bibi extends the freeze for a ten month period and the PNA simply looks for more reasons not to negotiate. At the end of the freeze, Israel goes back to building settlements having shown that the PNA has no real intention of ever negotiating, but gormless sheeple like Chabdul somehow manage to put that through their reality distortion devices and declare that Israel is dragging its feet on negotiating.

This is even more silly when you consider how the PLO have a long history of throwing away any chance of peace, as proven at Camp David in 2000, when Barak offered Arafat just about everything the PLO was demanding, but did Arafat stay and negotiate? No, he ran back home to start the Second Intifada, the First having been such good news for peace, not.

If it wasn't so tragic the self-deluding stupidity of the sheeple would be classic comedy material.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The ISO made the first move

I think Google are following the ISO.

http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_3166-1_newsletter_vi-14_name_change_state_of_palestine.pdf

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

What Google did was merely reflect the truth.

If the International community recognises the existence of the country, then it basically exists.

Recognising a fact is not "getting involved politically" with anything.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Interesting too how a president can be more honest and straight as an ex president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvtC_qzHVM4

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: skelband

"What Google did was merely reflect the truth......" LOL! What Google did wasn't about "truth" or any other noble cause, it was about ensuring business in Arab countries.

1. Craigness

@Mat you could also say that's the reason they recognise Israel. Palestine has existed for centuries but Google didn't always recognise this fact - why? It was named checked by the Crusaders.

Facepalm

Re: Craigness Re: skelband

"@Mat you could also say that's the reason they recognise Israel....." Agreed, I'm pretty sure the only reason Google "recognises" Israel is beacuse it wants to do business there, not because they are overwhelming supporters of Zionism.

".....Palestine has existed for centuries but Google didn't always recognise this fact - why?....." Because it is not a country, it is an area, much like Southern Europe or Central America.

".....It was named checked by the Crusaders." It was created by the Romans as a new designation for the Jewish empire they conquered, as a means of imposing their will on the Jews. There has never been a country called Palestine or a Palestinian people, both are propaganda concepts of the Arabs intent on seizing all the land in the area formerly known as the Palestine Mandate. To the Crusaders, the area they refered to as Palestine encompassed modern Israel, the Lebanon, the West Bank and Jordan, Gaza, a chuk of Egypt and most of Iraq. You might agree that a lot has changed since the Crusades.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Craigness skelband

@Matt Bryant

"Mandate Palestine" ?

"The Council of the League of Nations:

Whereas the Principal Allied Powers have agreed, for the purpose of giving effect to the provisions of Article 22 of the Covenant of the League of Nations, to entrust to a Mandatory selected by the said Powers the administration of the territory of Palestine, which formerly belonged to the Turkish Empire, within such boundaries as may be fixed by them...."

"The Mandatory shall be responsible for placing the country under such political, administrative and economic conditions as will secure the establishment of the Jewish national home, as laid down in the preamble, and the development of self-governing institutions, and also for safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine, irrespective of race and religion."

Ah such long lost and hopeful times were the 1920s......

Facepalm

Re: graeme leggett Re: Craigness skelband

"....,and also for safeguarding the civil and religious rights of all the inhabitants of Palestine, irrespective of race and religion...." Please note that says "all the inhabitants", meaning Palestinian Arabs (both Sunni and Shia), Palestinian Jews, Palestinian Christians (of many nominations), plus sundry other groups (Alawlites, Druze, etc.), and does not say "only to the satisfaction of the Muslim Arabs across the whole Middle East".

Re: graeme leggett Craigness skelband

@Matt, very true, that's why I included that bit. How are Palestinian civil and religious rights doing under Israel at the moment?

Facepalm

Re: graeme leggett Craigness skelband

".....How are Palestinian civil and religious rights doing under Israel at the moment?" Israeli Arabs have full citizenship, can vote in Israeli elections, own land and even be elected to seats in the Israeli Knesset. Sites of Islamic worship in Israel, such as the Dome of the Rock, are not only given over to Islamic control but are protected by Israeli law and the Israeli police. Mulsims living in Israel are free to worship as they wish. By comparison, no Jews can live in the West Bank or Gaza, the stated Fakeistinian plan is to remove them all - that's called ethnic cleansing, BTW. That is despite the historic Jewish presence and continued residence for thousands of years (there was even a Jewish quarter in Gaza City until 1948). Jews are forbidden by law to buy land in either the West Bank or Gaza. Jewish shrines and historic sites in the West Bank are often vandalised and the PNA attempts to restrict access whenever they can. They've also started driving the Christians out of areas such as Bethlehem. But even that pales in comparison with Gaza, where Hamas dug up a buried synagogue just so they could destroy it. No Jew has any citizenship or rights in any Fakeistinian controlled areas and the very idea of a Jew being elected to a seat in any Fakeistinian parliament is simply too silly for words. Question answered?

2. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

> "What Google did was merely reflect the truth......" LOL! What Google did wasn't about "truth" or any other noble cause, it was about ensuring business in Arab countries.

And your evidence for this is what exactly?

Nobody is talking about noble causes.

It is the update of a database record to reflect what the International community says is the current situation.

Countries are political constructs formed by our illustrious leaders.

Your rather bizarre hyperbole regarding this issue does seem rather unreasonable.

Did a Palestinian rape your wife or something?

1. Local G
          Happy

Re: "Did a Palestinian rape your wife or something?"

Not very likely

More likely MB's mother was Jewish and conferred on her son all the rights and responsibilities of the twelve tribes.

He's not so much a Hebrew Horatio at the Bridge as a Horatio at the Settlements.

I know this comment will end up in the Salon de Refuses, but all theories must be weighed and measured.

Matt Bryant would be the first to second that.

FAIL

Re: Local Dupe: "Did a Palestinian rape your wife or something?"

Your anti-semitism doesn't deserve a reply.

1. Local G
              Joke

Re: Matt Bryant Is this joke anti-Semitic?

"The only cow in a small town in Poland stopped giving milk. The people did some research and found that they could buy a cow from Moscow for 2000 rubles, or one from Minsk for 1000 rubles. Being frugal, they bought the cow from Minsk.

The cow was wonderful. It produced lots of milk all the time, and the people were amazed and very happy. They decided to acquire a bull to mate with the cow and produce more cows like it. Then they would never have to worry about the milk supply again.

They bought the bull and put it in the pasture with their beloved cow.

However, whenever the bull came close to the cow, the cow would move away. No matter what approach the bull tried, the cow would move away from the bull and he could not succeed in his quest. The people were very upset and decided to ask the rabbi, who was very wise, what to do. They told the rabbi what was happening; "Whenever the bull approaches our cow, she moves away. If he approached from the back , she moves forward. When he approaches her from the front, she backs off. An approach from the side and she just walks away to the other side." The rabbi thought about this for a minute and asked, "Did you buy this cow from Minsk?" The people were dumbfounded. They had never mentioned where they have gotten the cow. "You are truly wise rabbi. How did you know we got the cow from Minsk?"

The rabbi answered sadly, "My wife is from Minsk."

FAIL

Re: Local Dupe Re: Matt Bryant Is this joke anti-Semitic?

You're even recycling your jokes now.

1. Local G
                  Thumb Down

Re: Local Dupe Matt Bryant Is this joke anti-Semitic?

I thought maybe this time you'd answer the question.

FAIL

Re: Local Dupe Re: Local Dupe Matt Bryant Is this joke anti-Semitic?

"I thought maybe this time you'd answer the question." I'm waiting for you to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected to the forum thread, rather than bother with your evasions and continual denials of reality.

1. Local G

to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected to the forum thread

An original thought connected to the forum thread. That forum thread being "Google formally recognizes Palestine. Puts it on the virtual map." Whoo hoo.

Here's my original thought, Matt old pal.

If there can be peace in Flushing, N. Y., there can be peace in the Middle East.

http://gothamist.com/2013/05/09/video_hasidic_man_gets_into_heated.php

Enjoy. :-)

FAIL

Re: to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected to the forum thread

Nope, still nothing to do with the thread. You fail again.

1. Local G
                          Boffin

Re: to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected to the forum thread

" nothing to do with the thread."

I think I made it clear the subject wasn't topic-worthy, dude.

Happy

Re: Local Dupe Re: to post an original thought that is in some way actually connected....

Exposing your popularist views as nothing more than bigotry and ill education is certainly fun though.

2. Local G
                      Happy

"Here there be Philistines."

Is that virtually original enough for you? I hate disappointing you.

Facepalm

Re: "Here there be Philistines."

".....I hate disappointing you." Why, the person you are clearing failing most is yourself? Or is it just you have become used to losing?

1. Local G
                          Happy

"Here there be Philistines." (A play on the markings on old maps. And a play on the name, Palestinians, from an ancient people who lived close by the deed holding Hebrews. I hope I don't have to explain all my jokes to you from now on.)

Admit it, Matt, you haven't come up with as clever a line as that since you've been posting here. In all likelihood since you were born.

All you do is submit the same old ad hominum crap reply after reply after reply after etc.

I see your replies to those who also don't cave in to your bullying and, yep, they get the same old put downs.

OTOH, I suppose a lot of us wouldn't have as much fun here if we couldn't laugh at you. :oD

FAIL

".....Admit it, Matt, you haven't come up with as clever a line as that since you've been posting here. In all likelihood since you were born......" Apart from your definition of clever being a whole lot lower in cleverness than what seems to be the accepted norm for society, I would also have to point out I post verifiable facts and leave the lies, myths and hyperbole to you and your ilk. You moan that all your equally vacuous posters that post easily debunk able propaganda are "bullied"? Well, I just have to assume that was you reaction to education in general, which probably explains your naive and childish hatred for The Man - it's all just an extension of your unhappy childhood failings at school.

As of the Philistines, they were a completely separate ethnic group to the people that later became the Arabs, so for the Fakeistinians to claim the are the "rightful owners" of the whole Palestine Mandate territories by being descendants of the Philistines is also complete rubbish.

1. Local G
                              Pirate

"your definition of clever being a whole lot lower in cleverness than the.... norm"

Hey, I guess that's why I enjoy carrying on with you so much. Your cleverness is a lot lower than I think it is. You are so full of male bovine manure, when you're on the streets, everybody is afraid there's going to be another zeppelin attack.

" I would also have to point out I post verifiable facts and leave the lies, myths and hyperbole to you and your ilk"

Matt, did you know that when you lie like that there's a twinkle in your eye and the corners of your mouth turn up in a stifled smile?. In poker they call it a 'tell'.

I remember our back and forth about the USS Liberty and how you said the IDF thought the embattled ship was Egyptian and then tried to sink it. I said the Israelis knew it was American.. So then I posted this and proved how full of it you and Israel are:

"A Juridical Examination of the Israeli Attack on the USS Liberty

NAVAL LAW REVIEW VOL. 36 WINTER 1986

Lieutenant Commander Walter L. Jacobsen, JA GC, USN"

Later that day you were seen crossing the Waterloo Bridge and were captured on a cell phone camera looking like the screaming woman in Edvard Munch's masterpiece, Det Skrik (The Scream.) Enjoy.http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/coffee_keyboard_32.png

FAIL

Re: "your definition of clever being a whole lot lower in cleverness than the.... norm"

"....Your cleverness is a lot lower than I think it is......" Well, let's look at your track record in "thinking". Firstly, all you ever do is regurgitate the standard Internet attack pieces on any subject, all of which are predictable and very easy to debunk. Whilst there are often more complex and pertinent arguments you could deploy, you never do, probably because they are either too complex for you to regurgitate, or because the websites they occupy are not on your approved reading list. Then we have your constantly being wrong, as shown by how you always lose the argument and going schwinging off on a tangent. And then we have the most damning fact, that you keep getting caught out in blatant lies. So, applying your track record, for you to say my cleverness is a lot lower than you think it is would actually mean my cleverness is a lot higher than your limited outlook can comprehend. Thanks.

"....the USS Liberty...." Aaaaand SCHWING! Not only are you reaching for the bottled Israel-bashing sauce, this one you've already tried and been soundly shown up on! Please, if you're going to be ridiculously stupid, at least present a new case of your stupidity, otherwise you'll go from being childishly naive but amusing to just plain boring. Oh, and can we safely assume that your desperate change of tack is yet another case of you avoiding admitting that you have lost another argument? This is my surprised face, honest.

1. Local G
                                  Unhappy

standard Internet attack pieces.... which are predictable and very easy to debunk.

DEBUNK THIS, SIR

"A Juridical Examination of the Israeli Attack on the USS Liberty

NAVAL LAW REVIEW VOL. 36 WINTER 1986

Lieutenant Commander Walter L. Jacobsen, JA GC, USN"

usslibertyinquiry.com/law/jacobsen.pdf

"Not only are you reaching for the bottled Israel-bashing sauce, this one you've already tried and been soundly shown up on!" said Matt Bryant.

You call that debunking Lt Com Jacobsen? This is the second time I've brought up the Jacobsen inquiry. The first time the topic was closed before you could worm your way out of an answer. This time we get the laughable answer above. (ha ha)

Where did your debunking appear, Sir? In the Kibbutznik Farmer's Almanack?

Where the reader is told to use the magazine as toilet paper after a week of wrong predictions?

I weep for your world class stupidity. Unless you are old enough for dementia, in which case I weep for that.

FAIL

Re: standard Internet attack pieces.... which are predictable and very easy to debunk.

"DEBUNK THIS, SIR....." Already have in a previous thread where it was no relation to the topic, so I can't be bothered to entertain your attempt to schwing off topic again. Please try and come up with something even remotely conencted to the thread topic - Google's "recognition" of Palestine as a "country" - and please do try a little original thought, rather than just rebleating some canned Israeli-bashing article that was spoonfed to you.

1. Local G
                                      Happy

<klaxon>Aah-Ooo-Gah. Aah-Ooo-Gah. Delusional Matt Bryant has escaped from Lobotomy Op Room.

He is extremely armed (knuckle dragger) but not too dangerous. He was last seen running down the street, wearing a cowl with his little pointy face and bug eyes exposed. If you see him call 1-800- Delusions of Grandeur.

Unhappy

Re: <klaxon>Aah-Ooo-Gah. Aah-Ooo-Gah. Delusional Matt Bryant has escaped from Lobotomy Op Room.

And, yet again, Local Dupe adds nothing to the conversation other than what one suspects are his drug-addled "thoughts".

"....wearing a cowl...." If anyone is to be wearing any headgear I would suggest it is more likley to be you wearing a white hood, seeing as you seem to share a common vein of anti-semitism with that old Klan favourite, Stormfront. And - what a surprise! - Stormfront has a cesspool of a forum that likes to shriek hatred regarding one of your favourite Israel-bashing topics, the USS Liberty incident (warning, NSFW - http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t807427/). Truly you are a sad little individual.

1. Local G
                                          Happy

Re: <klaxon>Aah-Ooo-Gah. Aah-Ooo-Gah. Delusional Matt Bryant has escaped from Lobotomy Op Room.

Why Matt, I do believe you're whinging. There, there.

Everyone at The Reg who wanted to read http://usslibertyinquiry.com/law/jacobsen.pdf

already has. There is no one left on either side to be converted.

So let's kiss and make up and hope that the editors here don't put up any more stories about the antics of Israel or vile Manning and naughty Assange.

<SARCASTIC>

Happy

Re: Local Dupe: <klaxon>Aah-Ooo-Gah. Aah-Ooo-Gah. Delusional Matt Bryant has escaped......

"Why Matt, I do believe you're whinging..." No, that's winning, again. To be frank, it doesn't really take much effort with the weak rebleating you put forth.

".....Everyone at The Reg who wanted to read http://usslibertyinquiry.com/law/jacobsen.pdf already has...." LOL, I like how you try to avoid admitting the places on the Web that share your views are either all drenched in white supremacist bile and swathed in swastikas or Islamist shrieking, or both. Someone once told me that the psychiatrists are convinced that people aren't born racist, but that the opinions form at an early age, often by seven, from the home environment, and are pretty much engrained by age twelve. So I suppose there's little chance of reforming you now, even if your mental age probably matches that of a twelve-year-old. Even your attempts to evade off into "safe" topics where you feel more comfortable rebleating your half-truths, lies and myths, are becoming sadly predictable.

I'll tell you what, just to give you a semblance of a chance to redeem yourself, I'll give you an easy one to come back on - why don't you post why you are so happy that Google has a www.google.ps page? Please explain how it has advanced anything anywhere, how it has changed the situation on the ground, given the Fakeistinians one ounce more legal right or might, or even caused Israel to surrender one square kilometer of land? Oh, but that's the problem for you - like most Fakeistinian "victories", this is just an empty echo lost on the Internet, achieving nothing more than giving the hating sheeple like you "hope". LOL! Enjoy!

1. Anonymous Coward
                                              Anonymous Coward

"The boy put his insolent black head in the doorway, and said in a tone of scathing contempt"

"Mistah Dupe – he dead."

2. Local G
                              Devil

Philistines were a completely separate ethnic group to the people that later became the Arabs

I suppose you managed to get a dab of Delilah's DNA before you boned her. Who else, Matt? Helen of Troy?

Facepalm

Re: Philistines were a completely separate ethnic group to the people.....

Oh look, another fact that Local Dupe cannot argue against.

FAIL

Re: skelband Re: skelband

"......And your evidence for this is what exactly......" Going by Google's previous behaviour. Where's the Google page for Tibet? How about Scotland or the Basques? What, they not on the Leftie popularist bleating list?

".....It is the update of a database record to reflect what the International community says is the current situation......" Wrong! The current situation is that "Palestine" is still not a state and still not a real country until it meets the obligations set by the UN Security Council. It won't be until the a final peace agreement is reached and borders agreed. Oops, did I just introduce you to a fact, probably your first experience of one?

....Did a Palestinian rape your wife or something?" LOL! That's typical, just about the best counter the Self-deluding can come up with. I bet your parents are so proud of you - the only member of their family that can use a PC, even if it is without intelligent thought.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That settles that

Oh good. Now it's a country. Problem solved.

5. The Mole

"This change raises questions about the reasons behind this surprising involvement of what is basically a private Internet company in international politics,"

perhaps should be:

"This raises questions about the reasons behind this surprising involvement of politics with what is basically a private Internet company" ?

1. goldcd

Damn it

I hate it when somebody has already written my post for me.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting the popcorn ready for the arrival of the shrill shills

I wonder how long till the usual shrill shills turn up crying and weeping, accusing google of anti-semitism and running round in circles desperately trying to justify the subjugation and occupation of Palestine ? Won't be long now, methinks.

1. unwarranted triumphalism
      Thumb Down

Re: Getting the popcorn ready for the arrival of the shrill shills

I didn't know it was Google's place to recognise terrorists.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah yes. Indeed. Here we go, right on cue too. Some Palestinians certainly do wage asymettric warware against Israel, you can call it terrorism if you want to use manipulative, loaded rhetoric. Poor little Israel. But just a minute !. Pertty much every third year Israel so their best to reduce Palestine to corpses and rubble with the full force of a large, modern and well equiped military. And they are not too dainty to pay attention to little details like the ethics or legality of the weapoons they use, either. I wonder if maybe, just maybe that might have anything to do with the Palestinians being a bit pissed off ? Not to mention the occupation, persistent terretorial encroachment and ongoing economoc strangulation. Now this is your cue to start crying and accusing me of religeous or racial bigotry. Go on then. I dont care. When the USA cant afford to look after Israel any more and they are left to fend to themselves they might wish they had dedicated themselves to developing normal mature relations with their neighbours.

WTF?

Re: AC Re: Getting the popcorn ready for the arrival of the shrill shills

ROFLMAO.

2. Suricou Raven

If Israel wanted to reduce Palestine to corpses and rubble, they'd have gone so by now. They've got more advanced weaponry, an advanced air force, allies in just about the entire western world... oh, yes. And nuclear bombs.

If they were willing to treat this as an open war, it'd have been settled in 1967. But in these political times, it isn't so much of an option to win the war by wholesale slaughter of the opposing country's population. It tends to result in bad PR. So instead we get this continuing fight - Hamas or whatever organisation is leading the fight lob rockets into Israel, Israel occasionally sends a few aircraft the other way, but one side lacks the military strength for a true victory and the other is constrained by the need to avoid mass civilian deaths. So on and on it goes, until we all grow entirely sick of hearing about it, all because a well-connected religious-ethnic group claims having ancestry in the area entitles them to occupy it. Given the human rights abuses on the other side, I don't like either of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, that "ethnic group" was definitely well-connected around 1940. Aren't we just all sick of hearing about it?

1. Yag
              Thumb Down

Yes, we're getting sick of hearing about past atrocities to justify present atrocities.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge
        Coat

I only recognize terrorists when they're carrying a pressure cooker....

GRANDMA!!! NO! IT'S NOT WORTH IT! NOT THE BAKED BEANS!!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could not find any results for:

"This change raises questions about the reasons behind this surprising involvement of what is basically a private Internet company in international politics,"

Did you mean:

"This makes it more embarrassing for us to go on grabbing land and resources from the region for our own benefit"?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@unwarranted triumphalism

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Thumb Down

Re: @unwarranted triumphalism

Yes, dead civilians are just a point of view I suppose.

1. asdf

>Yes, dead civilians are just a point of view I suppose.

Yep and the IDF prevents dead "civilians" by labelling the two year olds they kill as terrorists waiting to happen.

Well, if that's the standard of argument I can expect from the Palestinian lobby, I guess I'll just give up now.

9. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Facepalm

Yay, Israel thread!

I, for one, await the torrent of reasonable, thoughtful, and moderate posts which will no doubt ensue.

1. asdf

Re: Yay, Israel thread!

Just for the record a whole lot of Americans are disgusted by our government being Israels bottom bitch and putting Israel's interests before our own just because AIPAC know how to use money and influence to manipulate our broken political system (come on American Jews (who outnumber Israel Jews) be Americans first). What Americans you will mostly hear from here will be the right wing born agains who never let facts or a misplace crusade get in the way of them going to heaven. Keep this in mind when thinking all yanks are represented by Reg posters lol.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Yay, Israel thread!

Oh good, thanks for proving my point.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what palestine?

Google et al. are wrong. The West Bank/Gaza are part of Israel/Palestine. Google should just make sure they have an Arabic page on their Israel site, if they haven't got it already. :)

11. Patrick R

reasonable, thoughtful, and moderate post

Here you have it: lets consider this article and leave it as it is; the most normal thing in the world.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recognising...

Interesting to see the responses here which are more ignorant than what the responders are trying to pre-emptively suggest applies to anyone who has any kind of support for Israel.

The usual things keep getting churned out, pointing out the many Palestinian deaths which proves Israel is an evil oppressor without thinking about what they're saying.

it's like watching Channel 4

1. asdf

Re: Recognising...

When an occupier starts settling land of the occupied bad things are going to happen and neither side is going to look like saints especially in that part of the world. There are no good guys in this conflict just a bunch of zealots. Israel comes off as nasty bullies and the Palestinians come off as the scum of the middle east (really only allies of Sadam in first Gulf War eh, and living in refugee camps in most neighboring countries?) like the other Arabs consider them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah. People DO keep going on and on about all the dead Palestinians. I wonder why that is ? AFAIK the body count is something like 1 Israeli killed to every 5 Palestinians. Even if those figures are exaggerated, even the most ardent pro-Israeli sources cannot deny that the Israelis are doing significantly more of the killing. How is it possible to carry on doing significantly more of the killing AND to keep the moral high ground at the same time ? I don't think that is possible. I am CERTAIN that if the Palestinians were doing the bulk of the killings then global sympathy would be more with the Israelis, and rightly so.

But the bottom line is that Israel cant have it both ways. They can be peaceable victims of terrorism, and have the sympathy and help of the world. Or they can be bad ass military motherfuckers and say basically "Yeah, we rule here, by superior power. What you gonna do about it ?". But by trying to have it BOTH ways, by walking like bad ass military motherfuckers and talking like poor helpless innocent little widdums diddums they just look dishonest and will get neither sympathy for their real sufferings nor respect for their real prowess.

Facepalm

".....even the most ardent pro-Israeli sources cannot deny that the Israelis are doing significantly more of the killing....." Your logic is flawed. The Israelis are doing a better job of protecting their people from random attacks (such as the rockets out of Gaza which are just aimed at Israeli civilians) whilst singling out active Fakeistinians terrorists for surgical strikes. That is why the ratio is skewed, because the Israelis are better equipped and better trained. The ratio you should look at is how many Israeli soldiers are killed by Fakeistinians attacks compared to how many Israeli civilians, then compare to how many active terrorists are killed compare dro Fakeistinian civilians by Israeli strikes. Despite the most blind denials of the Fakeistinians and their supporters, the truth is the Fakeistinians are happy to kill any Jew, whereas the Israelis try to kill only the terrorists.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hi. I do not condone random attacks on civilians, who would ? As you yourself said, because of the disparity of resources and training that is probably pretty much all they CAN do. I am sure if they had the means to wage a proper symetrical war and cause real damage to the Israeli military then they would prefer to do that. And this whole dehumanizing "They are monsters and kill out of hate, but we are poor innocent angels and kill out of love, look, here's the logical proof, oh pity us pity us" thing frankly makes me feel naseous. I woud respect Israel a lot more if they canned that crap and just said, "Yeah, we hate them. It's a nasty war so we are gonna be bigger and nastier." As another commentor said, there is not much that is to the morally to the credit of either side in this war. It is a very nasty business. And with regard to surgical strikes, BTW, you must let me know the name of you surgeon so I can make sure he never comes near me with a scalpel.

FAIL

Re: AC Re: Recognising...

"......that is probably pretty much all they CAN do......" What a pathetic apologist you are. You actually want to equate the deliberate targeting of civilian women and children by the Fakeistinians as somehow morally equivalent to the lengths the Israellis go to AVOID having to kill Fakeistinian civilians? All you have shown is that you know nothing about the realities of the situation. If the Fakeistinians were better armed it would not make them suddenly more moral. In the past, such as 1948, when they outnumbered and did have superior equipment AND the help of their fellow Arabs, they did not stop killing Jewish civilians. In fact, in every conflict up to the 1982 Isreali invasion of Lebanon, it was the Isrealis that were outnumbered and had less kit than the Fakeistinians and their Arab buddies, but it didn't stop the Arabs and Fakeistinians deliberately targeting Jewish civilians. Indeed, the core reason for the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982 (and again in 2006, and the incursions into Gaza) was repeated attacks on Israeli civilians across the border from Lebanon.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: AC Recognising...

As I said, I do not condone random attacks on civilians. But as for calling ME a pathetic apologist, look at what you are saying; "Oh yes, we kill more of them than they do of us, but its always by accident ! we never mean to !". C'mon, how poor an apology is THAT ?. Any 5 year old could do better. And even if I believed it, the Arabs never will.

But even suppose I accepted your moral justifications as unimpeachable, is Israel's position sustainable, sensible and truly in its own best interests ? Lets look at the wider strategic picture. Israel is a small state with one powerful (but distant) friend. It is surrounded by hostile neighbors. It's policy appears to rely TOTALLY on the unwavering support of it's one friend. It never hides the fact that it regards it's neighbors as subhuman monsters, and it does nothing but antagonize them at every turn. The initial local grievances caused by the foundation of Israel are never allowed to heal. Instead of making every possible effort to put the issue into the past (as I would deem wise) the hatred is stoked and nurtured and handed down from generation to generation, becoming more poisonous and virulent as time goes by. This situation all but guarantees that if American support for Israel wavers for a eye-blink, then Israel will be flattened by its neighbors. I ask you, is keeping all Israel's national eggs in one US-made basket sensible ? Is it wise for them to antagonize their neighbors at every possible opportunity ? Of course Israel have a right and duty to defend their citizens from random attack. But in their precarious strategic context, the clumsy, heavy handed and undiplomatic way they go about it may eventually doom their country (which would be a sad loss to the world). American global power appears to be waning and I don't see China or Russia being particularly interested in taking on the role of Israels protector. If Israel finds itself friendless and surrounded by angry neighbors I doubt it will last long. And I wouldn't be happy to see Israel destroyed, just as I am not happy to see Israeli warplanes smash up Palestine every third year.

FAIL

".....C'mon, how poor an apology is THAT...." Whatever, you are obviously determined not to see the facts. When the Fakeistinians send suicide bombers into pizza resteraunts or fire rockets out of Gaza or Lebanon, they are aiming to kill Israeli civilians. You seriously want to compare that to the IDF, who often call off strikes when Fakeistinians are being used as human shields by their own "fighters"? I suggest you go do a lot more reading on the matter, you simply don't know what you're talking about. The Fakeistinians KNOW the Israelis are constrained by the Israeli desire to avoid civilian casualties, indeed they take advantage of it by often putting women and kids on the roofs of houses the Israelis have announced in advance they are going to attack. Please do compare that to a suicide bomber going into a Sbarro's and deliberately trying to kill as many families as he can.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

As I said (for the third time now) I do not condone random attacks on civilians. The Palestinians deliberately target civilians, I agree that is reprehensible. And the Israelis use hi-tech military force when it is CERTAIN there will be even heavier civilian collateral casualties. That is reprehensible too, be it sincerely regretted or not. The whole war is reprehensible.

But leaving aside the whole issue of moral justification, what about my summary of Israel's political and strategic position ? I am interested in your opinion on that.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

truth is the Fakeistinians are happy to kill any Jew, the Israelis try to kill only the terrorists.

On the Truth-o-meter your statement got a zero. The Palestinians are happy to kill any Jew," but in fact they kill very few of them. How many Israelis died from the rocket attacks? Less than 10?

"The Israelis try to kill only the terrorists." And the collateral damage in civilians is ten times the number of the terrorist killed. But don't tell Matt Bryant.

FAIL

Re: truth is the Fakeistinians are happy to kill any Jews......

"On the Truth-o-meter your statement got a zero....." It is very obvious that you simply are too biased to have a "Truth-o-meter" in any shape or form.

".......The Palestinians are happy to kill any Jew," but in fact they kill very few of them. How many Israelis died from the rocket attacks? Less than 10?....." And that is where you ignore the simple truth that every rocket or mortar launched out of Gaza (or Lebanon) is a deliberate attempt at the murder of Israeli civilians. They are not aiming at IDF positions, they are aiming at Israeli towns. Your upset is that the Fakeistinains cannot be more successful, whereas the Israelis do have the kit and training to do their job of striking back at the terrorists in a much more efficient manner.

The Israelis have the tech and capability to sweep into the West Bank and Gaza and kill or evict every single Fakeistinian there, yet they do not. If the position was reversed and it was Hamas or the PLO with the capability to sweep into Israel and kill or evict every Israeli then history shows that is what they would promptly try and do. In Hamas's case it is written into their charter as their core reason for existing. Try that one on your "Truth-o-meter".

The question you should be asking is why do the Fakeistinians carry on with their stupid rocket attacks? As you say, they result in very few if any Israeli military casualties, but often result in the death of their own "fighters" and any unfortunate Fakeistinian civilian the brave jihadis are hiding behind, so why carry on? Or is it because the death of their own people means so little to them, that what they really value is the idea they can terrorise Israeli civilians? Oh, sorry, did I just ask you to think - obviously too much of a challenge for you.

1. Local G
              Meh

"is a deliberate attempt at the murder of Israeli civilians"

1) Believe it or not, attempted murder and murder are two different crimes. But apparently not for Matt Bryant and the IDF. Matt could argue that attempted murder is the more heinous of the two crimes.

2) " the IDF has the capability to sweep into the West Bank and Gaza and kill or evict every single Fakeistinian there, yet they do not" It wouldn't be because the global boycott of Israeli products would cause the rabbis to change Psalm 137? " By the waters of Babylon, there we sat down and wept, when we remembered our prophets?"

3) "why do the Fakeistinians carry on with their stupid rocket attacks? It's right there in '1984'. You shoud probably reread it. "That what they really value is the idea they can terrorise Israeli civilians?" Yup.

FAIL

Re: "is a deliberate attempt at the murder of Israeli civilians"

Oh look, right on cue, Local Dupe has arrived to rebleat the same points he drools at every opportunity, despite them being just as much "zombie facts" as the ones he likes to spew about A$$nut and Dickileaks.

"......attempted murder and murder ......" Israel, as a sovereign state, has the right under international law to self-defence. Targets chosen by the Israelis are done so in accordance with the law and are not random attacks. Israelis forces conducting such operations do so under strict rules of engagement and follow strict martial laws - when they break those laws they are tried and convicted. Members of the IDF that kill Palestinian Arab civilians outside those laws are tried and convicted of murder. Fakeistinians that kill Israeli civilians are lauded as heros. Fakeistinians act under the one law of kill as many Jews as possible, period.

".....It wouldn't be because the global boycott of Israeli products would cause the rabbis to change Psalm 137?...." Don't be even more stupid than you have to be. All the useful idiot dingbats like you that would boycott Israel already do so a new boycott would make zero difference.

Once again, you have obviously not spent the time since your last exposure as a complete fool in the study suggested, maybe it's about time you asked a resp on single adult for help?

1. Local G
                  Devil

With every misbegotten comment, Matt Bryant looks more like Pavlov's dog..

and I don't mean his drooling caused by his early stage dementia. I mean the ill-tempered personal attacks which vary inversely with his meaningless arguments.

MB)"The Israelis have the tech and capability to sweep into the West Bank and Gaza and kill or evict every single Fakeistinian there"

ME) "It wouldn't be because the global boycott of Israeli products wouldn't happen because of economic pressure"

MB)"a new boycott would make zero difference."

ME) The Guardian reports:"The Co-operative Group has become the first major European supermarket group to end trade with companies that export produce from illegal Israeli settlements.

The UK's fifth biggest food retailer and its largest mutual business, the Co-op took the step as an extension of its existing policy which had been not to source produce from illegal settlements that have been built on Palestinian territories in the West bank." It took the boycott by the West 70 years to change Russia.

Oh,you expected a boycott to bankrupt Israel overnight? Nope.

"when they (members of the IDF) break those laws they are tried and convicted." Matt did your nose get longer when you wrote that? Send me a pix of your nose with a swallow perched on it. Please.

"Israel, as a sovereign state, has the right under international law to self-defence."

THE REALITY OF THAT, DUDEFACE, IS THAT SELF-DEFENSE IS IN THE CROSSHAIRS OF THE AGGRESSOR.

Hope your drooling stops soon. It should when the full fledged dementia sets in. :-!

FAIL

Re: With every misbegotten comment, Matt Bryant looks more like Pavlov's dog..

Yet again, Local Dupe fails to counter a sinle point raised. It's embarrassing, it's like debating with a three-year-old, he just can't hold his own without someone to spoonfed him arguments.

".....Matt did your nose get longer when you wrote that? ....." No, it's just you got even stupider upon reading it. I'm bored with spoon feeding you links to the realities of the situation, why don't you go Yahoogle "IDF soldier convicted" and you'll get hits for a number of cases where Israeli soldiers have been convicted by Israeli courts for illegally killing, wounding or endangering Fakeistinians. Now comes the challenge - find just one example of a PNA court that has convicted a Fakeistinian for killing an Israeli. They don't the name square after them and decribe them as heros and martyrs.

1. Local G
                      Trollface

This must be the punishment you meant, Matt.

""IDF soldier convicted" and you'll get hits for a number of cases where Israeli soldiers have been convicted by Israeli courts for illegally killing, wounding or endangering Palestinians." And for taking a dump on city streets. On the sabbath, yet.

HAARETZ

"An Israeli soldier who exposed his buttocks to Palestinians while on patrol in the West Bank city of Hebron on Saturday was sentenced to 20 days in army prison.

The incident occurred during routine activities by Kfir Brigade troops. In the midst of a verbal exchange between three soldiers and a number of Palestinians, one of the soldiers pulled down his pants and exposed his behind to the group of Palestinians.

The soldiers themselves reported the incident to their company commander, an Israel Defense Forces source said. After a disciplinary hearing the offender was sent to army prison for 20 days.

The IDF Spokesman's Office said on Sunday, "Yesterday an incident occurred in which an IDF soldier failed in his behavior and acted in a manner inconsistent with IDF values. The incident was reported to commanders who dealt with the matter."

In 2008 three Kfir Brigade soldiers were filmed exposing their buttocks to a Palestinian farmer near Hebron and flashing the "V" for victory hand gesture at Palestinian bystanders. The soldiers were sentenced to 21 days in prison and suspended from operational military service."

When it comes to punishing IDF soldiers for wounding or killing Palestinians the IDF court is often AWOL. When it comes to punishing IDF soldiers for holding their hairy, pimply asses up for public ridicule, the IDF court makes Singapore look like the Christmas Islands. B:- (B is for buttocks. I assume you're familiar with those other little things)

FAIL

Re: This must be the punishment you meant, Matt.

".....When it comes to punishing IDF soldiers for wounding or killing Palestinians the IDF court is often AWOL....." Oh dear, Local Dupe gets caught in another outright lie! I checked, just in case your reality filters went into overdrive - top four hits on Bing, Google and Yahoo for "IDF soldier convicted" are all regarding soldiers convicted of murder or manslaughter for killing Faleistinians. It is really sad that you have to resort to flat out lies in an attempt to peddle your warped view of reality, and the truth is to be that manipulative you are simply anti-Semitic, end of. Please don't bother posting your usual denials, that you have "lots of Jewish friends", etc., you have been exposed again. You are truly a sad little individual.

1. Local G
                          FAIL

Re: This must be the punishment you meant, Matt.

"Liars, damned liars and Matt Bryant. Phooey.

Stop

Re: Local Dupe Re: This must be the punishment you meant, Matt.

You were the one caught lying, don't lump me in with your type, thanks.

1. Local G

Re: Local Dupe This must be the punishment you meant, Matt.

Which offended your renowned sensibilities more?

Probably "their hairy, pimply asses up for public ridicule," I guess it strikes too close to home.

1. Local G
                                Trollface

Shocking news about Stephen Hawking.

Will you be alright?

Facepalm

Re: Shocking news about Stephen Hawking.

SCHWING! Yes, Local Dupe has lost the argument again, yet again, so has swung off on a new tangent. This is my surprised face, honest!

That's Hawking's personal decision, no doubt after having been browbeaten by a large number of the ivory-tower-dwelling fraternity. I can just imagine the pressure he was put under, as soon as your name is announced as attending one of those events the fruitloops start calling and emailing to harrass you into changing your mind. I've been on the receiving end of it myself when I have traveled to Israel on business - as soon as the fruitloops find out your company is working in Israel they start bombarding you with hatemail. My currenet employer has an arm of the company in Israel that operates under a completely different name in an attempt to throw the fruitloops off the scent. It works seeing as these people aren't too bright.

You have to ask what Hawking thinks he has achieved by deciding not to go (other than peace and quiet, probably) - he cannot present a point of view or possibly challenge the views of others if he is not there, so all he has done is reduce the workload for the conference organisers who probably won't have to put in as many wheelchair ramps. But then that is the whole Fakeistinian attitude - it is better not to talk and not to negotiate rather than actually have to face facts and deal with Israel and the Arabs' own failures.

1. Local G
                                    Meh

Re: Shocking news about Stephen Hawking.

I hope Matt's complete and total defense of Israel here at the reg has more to it than the fact that his "currenet employer has an arm of the company in Israel."

How disappointing it would be if all he's arguing for is the right to harvest New Israeli Shekels in perpetuity.

Nah, Matt is bad but he's not that bad.

FAIL

Re: Local Dupe Re: Shocking news about Stephen Hawking.

"I hope Matt's complete and total defense of Israel here at the reg has more to it than the fact that his "currenet employer has an arm of the company in Israel."...." SCHWING! Yes, Local Dupe has lost another argument. Is anyone surprised? I would rather be accused of some form of duplicity as that at least implies some form of cognitive thought, rather than the self-deluding and petty anti-semitism dribbled by yourself. But the reality is my work over the years means I have not just visited but lived in the Middle East, I have most and talked to people on both sides (and the many sides inside the Arab "side" which hate each other almost as much as they hate the Jews). That means I have real and firsthand knowledge of the matter, whereas as all you have is popularise bleatings. Fail, again, yet again, again.

1. Local G
                                        Happy

Re: Matt Bryant, Kibbutznik.

I have a friend in New York who has a similar background. He moved to Israel in the 70's and raised his lovely family there. They all returned in the 90's. Now he has a successful online public relations business. All of his friends are convinced he is Mossad. Do you remember someone like him when you were being trained by the Mossad?

Is it true that Yitzhak Shamir personally gave you a tour of Dimona? Cool.

FAIL

".....Do you remember someone like him when you were being trained by the Mossad?....." Seriously, whatever meds you're taking, they are obviously not working. So, to your feeble intellect, anyone that could possibly see through the farcial claims of the Fakeistinians just must be a Mossad spy!?!? WTF? Just admit you haven't a clue about the realities of the Middle East, bow out, and please don't waste any more bandwidth.

1. Local G
                                            Happy

How come when I mention the meds you're on, my comment gets rejected? While you can post about my meds all day long and improperly borrow a line from mine? ("Seriously, whatever meds you're taking, they are obviously not working.") I wrote that about YOU just the other day. It was rejected.

I'm not going to take you to the Hague or anything, but how do you expect me to take you seriously when you're just a wannabe Oxbridge plagiarizer?

"please don't waste any more bandwidth." Duh. That's all the internet is is wasted bandwith.

Have you ever heard of FaceBook? Of course, you have. You're there more than you're here.

FAIL

Re Local Dupe Re: Local Dupe This must be the punishment you meant, Matt.

"Which offended your renowned sensibilities more?...." Your blatent lying.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I find interesting

is that Larry Page and Sergei Brin are Jewish, are they not? I wonder what they'd hope to gain by this move. Perhaps to prove that not all Jews in the US lick Israel's bum?

14. Brennan Young

What mole and skel said

And we could add: NOT recognising a country when the rest of the international community has done so ( beginning with ISO, UN etc.) is just as much or more 'getting involved' in the conflict.

15. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

When is a "country" not a country.

Happy to remind all the Pally-sympathisers, but the UN Security Council has also said that a State of Palestine can only be admitted to the UN as a full member state as part of a full and final peace settlement. Seeing as that has not happened, mainly because the Fakeistinians keep running away from the negotiating table, labelling the PNA-controlled areas of the West Bank (and what about Hamas and Gaza, are they in?) a "country" is more than premature, no matter what clever little way the Fakeistinians try to circumvent the UN Security Council rulings. Merely labelling the area "Palestine" is no more making it a real country than saying the Midlands in the UK, the Pyrenees in France, or the South in the US are countries. Enjoy!

1. armyknife

Re: When is a "country" not a country.

You know, continually calling it Fakeistinian doesn't help you win the argument, just comes over as rather juvenile.

FAIL

Re: armyknife Re: When is a "country" not a country.

"You know, continually calling it Fakeistinian doesn't help you win the argument, just comes over as rather juvenile." You know, your obvious lack of background knowledge on the matter goes beyond the juvenile. There never has been a country called Palestine and never a people called Palestinians, it is all a deliberate ploy developed by Arafat's PLO to fool useful tools like yourself into thinking the Palestinian Arabs are the only legitimate owners of the land. "Resistance" and "liberation" were simply covers for the same old jihadi principles of killing Jews, but they are much more acceptable terms for Lefties. It is all the more funny considering they don't even have a hard p in Arabic and so cannot even pronounce the lie they have developed, having instead to say Falastin, hence Fakeistinians. Don't worry, people that think themselves a lot smarter than you have been fooled by the trick so don't be too hard on yourself for being suckered. Ask yourself if, given that the Arabs claim that setting up a "Palestinian State" for the "Palestinians" was their only desire, why did they not do so when all the current land, Gaza and the West Bank, so hotly declared as "Palestinian" now, was under Arab control (right up until 1968)? It's because they were and are nothing more than Palestinina Arabs and were happy to be under Arab control.

I would suggest you read up on the matter. Why the KGB helped Arafat create the myth of the "Palestinian people" (http://www.think-israel.org/brand.russiatheenemy.html).

Why the claims of a "Palestinian State" is an Arab farce to avoid having to meet UN treaty obligations (http://www.factsandlogic.org/ad_91.html).

And as admitted by Hamas (http://www.barenakedislam.com/2012/09/27/hamas-leader-admits-there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-palestinian-people/).

Re: armyknife When is a "country" not a country.

The last thing I would trust is a website that felt it had to call itself "factsandlogic", and I suspect the other two sites do not take what I would call a position of analytical examination of the issues from both sides.

Facepalm

Re: graeme leggett Re: armyknife When is a "country" not a country.

"The last thing I would trust is a website that felt it had to call itself "factsandlogic", and I suspect the other two sites do not take what I would call a position of analytical examination of the issues from both sides." You may chose to not like their tone, but I note you are unable to counter the historic facts they base their arguments around.

Re: graeme leggett armyknife When is a "country" not a country.

@Matt

No, there are other things I care to do than increase their page hits and discover which "historical facts" they have chosen to use to back up their opinion.

Facepalm

Re: graeme leggett armyknife When is a "country" not a country.

".....No, there are other things I care to do than increase their page hits and discover which "historical facts" they have chosen to use to back up their opinion." So you only read websites that agree with your opinion. I suppose it's no surprise then that you remain so ignorant of the realities of both the history of the region or the current events.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Had a look on "factsandlogic.org"

Your search - white phosphorus - did not match any documents.

FAIL

Re: Had a look on "factsandlogic.org"

"Your search - white phosphorus - did not match any documents." Your search for a clue is probably a fruitless exercise as well, but please don't give up hope as one day you may meet an adult with the time and patience to educate you.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

So you must know about the white phosphorus then.

FAIL

"So you must know about the white phosphorus then." I know that white phosphorous has been used as a smoke-making material by forces across the World for decades and is not just some invention only used by the Eeeevvuuuuul Joooooooos. Its use as an incendiary by just about everyone is also well dcoumented. In fact, the Paras admitted they used it by choice for trench-clearing in the Falklands in 1982, when they were under instruction to only use it for smoke screens. But I suppose you are trying to suggest Israel has illegally used white phosphorous? Gee, you're upset by the possible use of phosphorous, but OK with suicide bombing pizza resteraunts or shooting rockets are civilians? Oh, those attacks are fine for you because they're aimed at killing Jews, right? Fail!

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Matt Bryant Re: Had a look on "factsandlogic.org"

Oh oh. The *Eeeevvuuuuul Joooooooos* are back. Keep your children close by your side.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Local G

Never "been a country called Palestine and never a people called Palestinians."

Palestinian comes from the word Philistine (a people living in Canaan before Joshua and his interlopers barged in, according to the Holy Word in the Holy Bible), just as England is derived from Angeln (where the Angles came from). You do remember the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons?

Facepalm

Re: Never "been a country called Palestine and never a people called Palestinians."

"......England is derived from Angeln (where the Angles came from). You do remember the Angles, Jutes, and Saxons?" And not only can I pronounce it, I'm not using it to justify the ethnic cleansing of anyone from their historic homeland either!

16. Suricou Raven

World, can you please just get over it?

I don't care that one faction claims the land is theirs because their great-to-the-nth granddaddy killed off the old tribe and was personally handed the land by God himself.

I don't care that the other faction claims the land is theirs because their people owned it more recently.

Just sort something out, and stop bothering me with all these incessant news stories about the latest rocket to go flying one way or drone to go flying the other. Get rid of all the annoying news columns asking 'Will Obama be loyal to Israel?' and questioning his theological commitment. Put an end to these mountain-from-molehill outrages every time someone decides to change their terminology a little.

I'm fed up. Please, make it all go away. Get the nukes out if you must. This has gone on long enough now.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Numbers

Since people are throwing opinions and "facts" around at random anyway, I thought I'd supply my own: The number of casualties in the Palestine/Israel conflict in the past 20 years combined amount to ... the number of gun-related deaths in the US over a span of 4 months.

No, I don't see the relevance either. Just thought it was kinda interesting to observe in the light of recent events.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Numbers

Wow America must be an angry place, what are those numbers and what are Palestine vs Israel, i.e. who is the most successful at killing people?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

According to Wikipedia, the number of direct casualties in the I-P conflict is around 10k and the number of USians killed by guns in a year 30k

Facepalm

".....the number of gun-related deaths in the US over a span of 4 months....." Seeing as the population of the US is so much larger it's a bit of a silly comparison unless you're an anti-gun fanatic. In which case I suggest you consider how it probably also equates to the number of people in the US killed in road accidents in less than a month.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is no such thing as Palestine!

1) The truth is that Palestine is no more real than Never-Never Land. The first time the name was used was in 70 A.D. when the Romans committed genocide against the Jews, smashed the Temple and declared the land of Israel would be no more. From then on, the Romans promised, it would be known as Palestine.

The name was derived from the Philistines, a Goliathian people conquered by the Jews centuries earlier. It was a way for the Romans to add insult to injury ... Palestine has never existed – before or since – as an autonomous entity. It was ruled alternately by Rome, by Islamic and Christian crusaders, by the Ottoman Empire and, briefly, by the British after World War I. ... There is no language known as Palestinian. There is no distinct Palestinian culture. There has never been a land known as Palestine governed by Palestinians.

2) Israel did not seize Judea, Samaria, East Jerusalem and Gaza from the Palestinians; those were areas controlled by Jordan and Egypt until Israel won the Six Day War in 1967. All so-called Palestinians are really just Jordanians or Egyptians.

3) The Palestine Liberation Organization was established in 1964, three years before Israel secured the West Bank and Old Jerusalem. What was the PLO trying to "liberate" then? Clearly the pre-'67 state of Israel.

Why people still fall in the trap of the Arab mythmakers and try to make something where nothing exists is beyond me.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: There is no such thing as Palestine!

Pretty much the same argument could be made about Great Britain

Or Roman-Scandanavian-Anglo-Saxon-Norman-Hanover Land (incorpoarating Wales, Scotland and Ireland (sometimes)) land - but that is rather a lot to put on a passport

FAIL

"Pretty much the same argument could be made about Great Britain....." Yawntasticly stupid fail. Great Britain is a sovereign state and exists through treaties binding the collective countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland together. As individual countries, each of those has a distinct people and culture. There is no such thing as a Palestinian people and no individual Palestinian culture.

2. Chad H.

2) Israel did not seize Judea, Samaria, East Jerusalem and Gaza from the Palestinians; those were areas controlled by Jordan and Egypt until Israel won the Six Day War in 1967. All so-called Palestinians are really just Jordanians or Egyptians.

-----

So by the same argument, all those Israelis are actually Eropean and Russians, and thus equally have no claim to the land.

I love it when Israel backers cite "there wasn't a country called Palestine" argument, because not so long ago there wasn't an Israel, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Jordon and Turkey either.

There was sonething called the Ottoman Empire though, but they never seem to be in a rush to call for its reinstatement.

FAIL

Re: Chadbul Re: There is no such thing as Palestine!

".....There was sonething called the Ottoman Empire though, but they never seem to be in a rush to call for its reinstatement." So you trumpet something you admit completely destroys the Fakeistinian farce but they deny that there was a Jewish homeland long before the Ottoman Empire existed? Indeed, it was there before the Roman Empire and long, long before the tragic mess called Europe. Your extremely shallow grasp of history seems to cover just about nothing.

1. Chad H.

Re: Chadbul There is no such thing as Palestine!

"" So you trumpet something you admit completely destroys the Fakeistinian farce"

Err, no actually. Because there were palestinians living there at the time. Funny that.

As for the rest of your tirade, Shouldnt whats good for the goose, be good for the gander? If Isreal has a right to exist because of some similarly named historical kingdom 2000 years ago, does the Italian government, as the decendants of the Roman Empire, have the right to rule all of Western Europe?

Also, you might want to stop confusing "Being an absuive ass" with "making a reasonable and compelling point", you might actually sway some converts if you do... the way you're going, you're convincing more and more people than the Palestians are right, and the people on israel's side are completely unreasonable people who simply throw around insults to anyone who disagrees....

Acutally, no, wait I get it. You're smart enough to know that. Clearly you're a HAMAS agent posing as an Israel supporter in order to help blacken Israel's image. Good job.

FAIL

"......Err, no actually. Because there were palestinians living there at the time...." Get it through your thick head - no such people as "Palestinains" ever, it is Arab propaganda. There were people living in the area that came to be called Palestine, but none of those groups identified themselves as "Palestinian" until the KGB and PLO dreamed up a little scam to try and imply only the Arabs from the area were the rightful owners of the land.

"....If Isreal has a right to exist because of some similarly named historical kingdom 2000 years ago....." Israel has the right to exist due to it being a recognised state by an act of the UN Security and General Councils. The Fakeistinians also had their chance to have similar recognition of their lands under the UN Partition Plan but chose instead to try and steal the lands of the Jews. So nothing to do with "historical kingdom", but very much to do with the continued Jewish presence in the area. The UN Partition Plan was based on finding which group was in the majority in an area, which meant there were also plenty of Jews that had lived for centuries in areas that the Israelis accepted would be under Arab control. The problem was the Arabs could not accept ANY Jewish homeland.

"....you might actually sway some converts if you do...." Why on Earth would I want to "convert" an idiot like you? Apart from the comedy value of reading your incredibly uninformed posts, it is not my responsibility to make up for your parents' failings. I'm quite happy for you to continue making an ass of yourself, it will have zero impact on the future of Israel or the Fakestinians if you remain clueless. Get over yourself, you're simply not that important, and I very much doubt your circle of equally dimwitted acquaintances extends to anyone of influence. Enjoy!

1. Chad H.

Oh Matt, stop it, I'm sure you HAMAS handlers are over the moon at the way you've made the average Israel supporter look like a complete prick. They must be so proud of the great work you're doing... You're clearly getting results they can only dream of!

I'd suggest you knock off and head to the pub, but you Muslims don't drink, do you? Well maybe you can have a glass of OJ or sonething.

1. Chad H.

One question though, if we're not that important, why do you keep coming back to a dead thread? Surely you would be more effective in threads that are currently trending?

FAIL

Re: Chabdul Re: Chadbul There is no such thing as Palestine!

"One question though....." One question? Just one? How small-minded of you. I think what you actually need to do is ask a lot more questions, only this time try asking the ones your hip'n'trendy buddies aren't trying to avoid.

1. Chad H.

Re: Chabdul Chadbul There is no such thing as Palestine!

Matt, I know you might not have many friends the way you act with so much abrasiveness and with the way you throw around insults... But I just have to let you know, a few replies doesn't make us buddies... I would appreciate it however if you stopped avoiding the question.

By the way, how much does Hamas pay you to embarras yourself like this?

FAIL

Re: Chabdul Chadbul There is no such thing as Palestine!

"Matt, I know you might not have many friends the way you act....." Hate to break it to you but I have no problem getting on with intelligent people not trying to force-feed me their agenda. I just must hang out with people a lot smarter than the sheeple you spend time dribbling with.

".....so much abrasiveness and with the way you throw around insults...." Puh-lease, going by the idiocy in your posts, I find it very unlikely that you aren't called a fool on a daily basis! If you can't stand the heat (and you obviously can't supply any arguments to back up your "ideals"), then get out of the kitchen and go back to the kiddie websites, at least until you've grown up and learned enough to be able to participate like an educated adult.

".....By the way, how much does Hamas pay you to embarras yourself like this?" Is that tragic effort the best you can make towards a contribution to the thread? I pity you, I really do, that you somehow think that was either topical or humourous.

I think you'll find Hamas would be unlikely to pay me to expose the delusions of people like you, though they would probably enjoy the next bit. You see, unlike the PLO, Hamas haven't had forty years to develop a massive and illegal income ("..... In 1993 and 1994, the British National Criminal Intelligence Services estimated the total to be about $10 billion, with an annual income of $1.5 – $2 billion....." http://www.eufunding.org/terror/FundingEvil.pdf). Instead, they are spending the funds they should be using for developing Gaza on buying rockets and sending their fighters to train in Iran (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/4127074/Hamas-fighters-now-a-well-organised-force.html). How long Iran is happy to fund them is also in question, now, given events in Syria.

Indeed, Hamas is a bit short of cash, and the Hamas fighters have been moonlighting as mercenaries for the Sunni Gulf peinces in Syria (http://breakingnews.sy/en/article/10056.html?m=0). You'd think the latter would be an embarassment for the Hamas leadership after they spent so many years hiding behind Assad's apron in Damascus, but once again it can be explained by the old Sunni-Shia schism - when they're not all hating Jews together, Muslims are quite happy to kill each other (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/24/us-syria-palestinians-idUSTRE81N1CC20120224).

I suspect that - unless the Gulf princes start making me an offer - I'll just have to keep exposing your idiocy for free! Enjoy!

Happy

Re: Chabdul Re: Chadbul There is no such thing as Palestine!

"......you've made the average Israel supporter look like a complete prick......" It seems your definition of "a prick" is someone that can provide verifiable facts in rebuttal to propaganda, myths and lies. I suppose it must be very disheartening for you when people don't give up reason and education just because you think you're so special that all you have to do is call them "a prick" to make them instantly and completely realign their views to your blinkered and naive outlook. Seriously, get over yourself. Yes, I am laughing at you.

19. Ramazan

"controversial" decision

as told by the "news website" The Register

20. Zmodem

they should team up with garmin or release their own mobile no internet GPS unit with country maps and satellite view you can update when you at home with downloads from google maps

1. Zmodem

would be less people dying 20 feet away from that water pool in austrailia outback, and you can find that statue you walked or bikes 50 miles to see thats just over the slope

21. Dan Paul
    Devil

Time for the International Thunder Dome....... Two Go In, (N)One Comes Out

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to Thunder Dome! Tonight for your viewing pleasure we have "Arab Biased Anonymous Coward" and "Jewish Biased Matt Byant".

We will let the "Dome" determine what thousands of years of war has not...who gets the area formerly known as "Palestine"!?

Guys, I was 11 years old in 1967 watching the tanks roll in the Six Day War and every year it's the same BS. Threats, intimidation, shelling, funerals, pictures of bombed out buildings, burnt flags and effigies, more lies and prevarications, bogus peace talks, more useless US aid to arsholes on both side we can ill afford.

As the Special Forces boys are wont to say...Fuck'em all and let God sort it out. Both sides act like spoiled brats that need a good asswhuppin. Both side deliberately self sabotage each and every decent solution that is put forth. Please let them both have what they deserve.

There will be no peace in the Middle East until each and everyone on BOTH sides are dead as they are both completely batshit crazy and will NEVER see reason or logic, EVER.

Push the button and get it over with please. The sooner we get to start over the better. Used to be we'd just have a nice plague or flood to keep the idiots in line but that's not kosher anymore.

Boffin

Re: Time for the International Thunder Dome....... Two Go In, (N)One Comes Out

Whilst I understand your frustrations, as Golda Meir put it, "Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us."

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And if that ever happens, do you think that Israel lift the economic embargo and return all the encroached and settled land, I wonder ? But, the point is moot. Looking at Israel's strategic position it seems much more probable that peace (of a sort) will only come when American support for Israel wavers and all its hostile neighbors kick the door down. It wouldn't be pretty and I wouldn't be pleased to see it. When you have regained your composure a bit, Matt, I am still genuinely interested in your thoughts on this point. An ounce of practical strategic advantage is worth a tonne of moral justification, but this thread doesn't seem to have got past the moral justification.

FAIL

Seriously, what are you smoking, rolled pages of the Koran? After Germany launched two aggressive wars against her neighbours the Germans were punished, their borders changed and land given to the victors. After six decades of aggressive wars against Israel you want to give the Arabs an extra country, shedloads of aid money, and tell them it was "right"?

"......return all the encroached and settled land....." This just shows the disconnect far too prevalent in certain circles. Firstly, seeing as there is no legal country that Israel is "encroaching" on - the Arabs passed on their chance for legal recognition in 1948 - any and all land in the West Bank is up for negotiation. If the Arabs don't want to negotiate, and Abbas has done all he can to avoid negotiations, then Israel can do as it pleases. Secondly, no-one is insisting that the Arabs return any land they are "encroaching" on or stop any "settlement" building activity in the West Bank, despite any are of it being up for negotiations. Yeah, spot the double standard!

"..... all its hostile neighbors kick the door down...." Oops, looks like you forget the history of the last sixty years! The neighbours tried plenty of times, going right back to 1948, and they got beaten every time. But what really exposes that old Fakeistinian and Pan-Arab pipe dream is the modern reality of the Middle East - all those neighbours are too busy fighting each other. Just look at Syria and Iraq, where open warfare is going on between Shia and Sunni sects, then look at the Gulf States and their current problems with Iran stirring up their Shia communities, and even Saudi and their extremist problems and their involvement in Yemen. The Lebanon is lining up for another civil war and Jordan is one step away from one with the Fakeistinians (who have tried twice to take over the country). The truth is the neighbours are all too busy sorting out the decades of their own despotic dictatorships to rally behind the Islamic flag for another go at Israel. And the majority of those countries mentioned are dependent on the US for their continued security, which means they will never openly attack Israel again, so you can kiss your Pan-Arab pipe dream goodbye, it ain't going to happen. The old backers of the Arab dictators, Soviet Russia and Communist China, are now too busy trying to export to the West to meddle too much in the Middle East. individually, none of those neighbours has the military might to seriously threaten Israel beyond the usual terrorist attacks. So take that strategic perspective and sit on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thankyou, I am reading your comments with interest, whilst picking my way through all the rather unnecessary and uncalled for insults, which do not make a positive impression, BTW. What would be the harm in keeping it civil ? Just FYI I am a non-practicing christian. I have no personal stake in the war, and I have less than zero personal affiliation with Islamist politics. I have an interest in history and current affairs, and naturally I have opinions, which I can express and defend robustly. But my opinions are not fixed in stone, which is why I am interested in what you have to say. Your assessment of Israel's strategic position is interesting. I would only like to take issue with your comment that "The Arabs passed on their chance for legal recognition in 1948" This is an extremely weak argument. Political history is in constant flux and states routinely split and merge to form new states.

Facepalm

Re: AC Re: AC

".... I would only like to take issue with your comment that "The Arabs passed on their chance for legal recognition in 1948" This is an extremely weak argument....." What, weak as in completely destroys the Fakeistinian charade weak you mean? The Arabs refused to accept the UN Partition Plan in 1948, a plan unanimously accepted by the UN General Council except for members of the Arab League. Instead they launched a war of aggression against the new State of Israel. They lost and then spent another thirty years trying the same stupidity time and time again, until Egypt decided the Pan-Arab pipe dream of erasing Israel simply wasn't worth holding back Egypt's development for anymore. The Arabs are the only group of countries that has mounted not one but three major wars of aggression, lost all three, and still insisted they should get what they want.

BTW, as a "lapsed" Christian, please do tell how you feel about the continued decline of the Christian community in the former Palestine Mandate? Please do try and pretend it's due to Israel, but I feel forced to point out in advance that Israel is the only country in the Middle East with a growing Christian population.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like