1. jake Silver badge

Urban Farming

Our "house in town" (where we park the in-laws when they are about) has roughly two tenths of an acre that works for vegetables. Today, the tomatoes, tomatillos and peppers/chilis are happily flowering and setting fruit. The onions, carrots, beets, radishes and other root vegetables are flourishing. We've been harvesting cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts, celery and lettuce for months. The herb garden has been operational for almost a decade.

Anyone else around here grow their own food?

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Urban Farming

Not, except for some fruits such as lemon, fig, cherry, apple. To gather those takes less time than going to the shops. But reading about all the food you farm (vegetables, fruits, meat, something else?) I wonder how much time it takes. I can hardly imagine doing all those things being full-time employed.

1. jake Silver badge

@Evil Auditor (was: Re: Urban Farming)

I'm full-time employed as a ranch owner (or is that full-time owned by a ranch?). Our food-production takes roughly 1.5 person years/year, or 60 hours per week, 5 days per week. Between our eight full-time employees, and seasonal staff, it's not exactly an issue.

The "house in town" veggie & herb garden is something the wife & I do in our spare time, as a labo(u)r of love. We probably spend a total of an hour a week on it over the course of a year. Why bother? To give our guests a taste (literally!) of another way of looking at the world. Some have dipped their toes into the world of growing food as a direct result.

2. gotes

I do what I can with what I have... I don't have a garden and there's a lot less sunshine here than in California. My "not quite a balcony" is packed with planters full of whatever I can manage to grow, which is mostly parsley and some tiny onions. Any suggestions for a place which gets about 2 hours of sun a day during the summer?

1. jake Silver badge

@gotes (was: Re: Urban Farming)

Get yourself to the nearest "garden center" and ask for details about growing in your situation. Local micro-climates vary wildly, world-wide. Ask a local. It's the only way.

3. Rampant Spaniel

try papaya if you get enough sun. small footprint, prolific growth, fruits in under nine months. wet kalo can be grown in buckets with some circulating water.

2. Blitheringeejit

Latitude?

Jake is obviously well set up - I'm guessing somewhere warmer than me. I have half a dozen raised beds about 3 square metres each - but as we've had a bitterly cold spring here in the British midlands, only the onions sets and a few beetroot are planted out - everything else is in trays and pots in the greenhouse, pending our last frost, though most of it will get planted out over the next couple of weekends.

But we're already eating salad stuff grown in the greenhouse in containers, along with a few perennial garden salads (chives, garlic chives, lovage, fennel, sorrel) which are up and running.

And to answer the Evil Auditor - it's probably not worth the time it takes (or the money it costs) in British weather conditions, but there's no simple way to calculate this empirically. For example, I find that growing veg is an infinitely more rewarding and interesting way of exercising than going to the gym, and paying for membership thereof. And of course it's impossible to put a price on the benefit gained from eating stuff straight out of the ground - it tastes better, and my (probably biased) reading of the science says that many nutrients start to degrade as soon as a plant is lifted, so picking and eating on the same day may well have serious health/nutrition benefits compared to the 3-7 day latency inherent in supermarket shopping.

Of course having animals and grazing land means that you can use the resulting fertiliser to get more value from limited veg growing space - and I wonder if Jake uses the manure from his larger farm to boost the productivity of his urban veg garden. I would certainly grow more in the limited space I have (and use more of my garden for growing) if I had a ready source of good bullshit.

Which is one reason why I read the reg, especially on a Friday...

<ahem>

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Latitude?

I had allotments in Poughill, Cornwall & Harrogate, Yorkshire when I lived in those locations as a school boy. I had harvest-able food nearly every day of the year. Again, get to a local garden center and ask about your local growing conditions.

Yes, I compost shit. In massive quantities. It's amazing how much money the yuppies will pay for a couple cubic feet of composted horse + steer + chicken manure ... I'd give it to 'em for free if only they'd collect it & compost it for themselves ;-)

1. Blitheringeejit
        Facepalm

Re: Latitude?

>I'd give it to 'em for free if only they'd collect it & compost it for themselves

I'm in - where do I collect? No, wait, wrong continent. Damn.

3. ukgnome
    Thumb Up

Actually Jake me and missus gnome often grow our own. Well I say me and missus gnome when that in fact is an outright lie. Missus gnome does the veg whilst I work mainly on maintaining the flowers. Although this year I am growing some onions amongst my flowerbed.

Currently we have the following :-

Rhubarb, onions, peas, spuds, lettuce, cabbage, pumpkins and courgettes. unfortunately the leaks and carrots have died. I expect this of the carrots as I have never had a great crop which is unusual as i live in Norfolk. But the leaks, this brings much sadness into my life. As for the flowers I grow, put simply I use a meadow mix of lots of different ones. I couldn't tell you there names, but they do look pretty and the bees and butterfly love them.

1. jake Silver badge

@ukgnome

Gut feeling, and off the top of my head, your carrots & leeks are seeing too high a Ph in your soil ... Most of what you list likes a PH of 6.0 to 7.0, carrots & leeks prefer closer to 5.0. I could be wrong. Soil test kits are available for about $20 American, probably 15 quid where you are. Again, get thee to the nearest garden center for local info.

Note: You can condition the soil for the two anomalys separately from the rest of your veggies.

4. a cynic writes...

Does livestock count?

SWMBO has pet ducks and chickens, who produce so many eggs that the excess pays for their food. I was also daft enough to get her an incubator for Christmas so we've 6 or 7 who aren't old enough to lay yet.

Whilst our egg consumption has gone through the roof she won't eat chicken any more.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Does livestock count?

...she won't eat chicken any more.

Never mind the chicken, ducks are far more yummy!

2. jake Silver badge

Re: Does livestock count?

Eggs are a snack that produces food, if allowed.

Compost that chicken-shit (and bedding/nesting material) for next year ... it makes for good fertilizer for veggies. Do NOT, however, use it without composting or you'll chemically burn the roots & leaves of your plants.

5. Triggerfish

I have a couple of windowsills that are quite wide on the inside. The one downstairs has a trough with herbs growing coriander, mint etc.

Its a deep trough with about 3 inches of gravel at the bottom, it keeps it low maintenance (imo) because you can water it heavily once a week and it acts like a water reservoir, give it the odd trim when the herbs get to crazy, water it each week with a load of water from the fish tank change (good water for plants), it seems to have been working so far.

Have a few odd things I'm attempting like galangal and lemongrass not sure if its going to be warm enough for them though.

Haven't decided on the top windowsills yet, currently using one to experiment with growing some emersed fish tank plants. But I am thinking of trying micro salad or maybe some sort of veg.

I've lived in houses or with people who have veg patches and it is some work, or light exercise depending on how you see it, but even simple things like chips made with newly dug potatoes that are sweet and earthy....

I can understand why people bother.

1. jake Silver badge

I've done lemongrass hydroponically. Grow galangal just like ginger or turmeric. All get quite tall for shallow systems ... but I've grown all indoors in 5 gallon plastic buckets of compost (store-bought planting mix should work).

For microgreens, bean sprouts & the like I use a thingie called a "germination station". See:

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=1898

I have several, most are over five years old. I also use 'em to start veg from seed, before transplanting into 3" pots, which live for a time under a 6,700K growlight[0] in an indoor greenhouse[1] before being moved either outdoors, or into a greenhouse.

Growing veg for personal use isn't work. It's meditation :-)

[0] No, I don't grow pot. I can't abide the stuff.

[1] Take a 66qt clear plastic storage container ... flip it over, pull the container off the lid, put the 3" pots on the inside of the lid, and place the container back on the lid. Place under growlight. Instant small greenhouse that you can carry in and out of the house until the last frost, on days when the sun shines. Or can simply provide 12+ hours of false daylight until time to transplant

6. Corinne

Unfortunately when it comes to horticulture I have what can only be classed as "brown fingers", i.e. everything I try to grow dies - except certain weeds & grasses, which won't die even if I poison them thoroughly.

I tend to them according to what I've read, I ask advice from successful gardeners, I've tried checking I have the right soil balance and everything, but nothing I want to grow ever thrives. If I let someone else plant & tend for them then certain things like heathers & conifers may survive provided I don't touch them myself.

I do however have a fine crop of couch grass that so far has survived digging up and multiple applications of different appropriate weedkillers, and in a previous house the garage was completely smothered by Japanese Knotweed.

1. jake Silver badge

@Corinne

Are you over watering? Reading between the lines, it's probable cause. Soggy roots make for pissed-off veggies. Trees & bushes get even madder. Weeds & grasses, on the otherhand, thrive on it ...

1. Corinne

Re: @Corinne

That's been suggested but apparently not the problem, if anything I didn't water plants enough.

Tried an experiment with a neighbour at a previous house (same row of houses), she checked my soil was the same as hers, both gardens faced the same way, planted the same seeds/seedlings, both let nature take it's course i.e. they were watered when it rained, hers thrived mine died. Though I did have a rampant golden globe buddleia she was jealous of, couldn't keep the damned thing under control despite hacking it practically down to the ground at the time of year they tell you NOT to because that may kill them!

A friend used to tend my flowers & shrubs for me, even if I did anything to them under her strict instructions with her watching they would die whereas the ones next to them that she tended were fine. plants just don't like me :(

1. jake Silver badge
          Pint

Re: @Corinne

I can't wear a mechanical wristwatch. They die on me within 10 hours. Pocket watches, on the other hand, are just fine ... If we were all alike, the world would be a very boring place!

Suggestion: Find an SO that has a green thumb if you want a garden.

During the meanwhile, relax & have a homebrew :-)

7. Triggerfish

@Jake

I have a sort of ad hoc germination station for my tank plants, a fish tank with cling film on the top and a heat mat underneath.

Did you find the lemongrass needed heat? I seem to read mixed opinions.

All the lemon grass, galangal, and krachai has come from basically having some left over from buying in a supermarket and just thinking lets see if I can grow it, so at the moment its a no loss (and frankly minimal effort on my part) poke it in some dirt experiment rather than a serious attempt to grow it.They are on a W-SW windowsill in Yorkshire, the krachai seems to be rooting, the lemongrass has been in water and is starting to poke some roots through, think the galangal has died though.

@Corinne

Just my opinion but I think there's a little bit of an art to growing as well as science,wherever you put your plants they tend to have a slightly unique environment (light/shade humidity, drainage, soil makeup/structure), there's a lot of plants I grow just by checking them and deciding when to water or not, move the plant etc tempered by what I know of their conditions and how the plant looks like its doing.

I actually quite like this part of growing the observation and fiddling experimentation its like a little science experiment you can potter about with.

1. jake Silver badge

If it's VERY fresh, store-bought lemongrass can be rooted in nothing more than tap water. If you're not going hydroponic, transplant to pottingsoil/compost after the roots are 2cm/3/4inch or so in length. It really needs full sun, but your window may work, depending on which of the many Yorkshire microclimates you are in. I was in Harrogate, and had an eight-foot wide upstairs dormer with a similar exposure to your window that I was lucky enough to be able to use for my herb garden. Lemongrass did well. It needs regular water, but not soggy soil. Indoors, it'll get ~3.5 foot tall. Don't harvest until the initial side-shoots are 1cm/0.4 inches in diameter at the surface. Cut with secateurs (not a knife!), don't break, or you run the risk of killing off the whole thing..

Your rhizomes, on the other hand, might be a trifle more fiddly. They need moisture (but not soggy!), humidity & heat. Try pottingsoil/compost in a ~2.5 gallon pot about a foot high. Stick it onto a 5 inch deep tray with about 3 inches of ~0.5 inch pebbles sitting on top of a 15-20W heating pad. Add water to about the 3.75 inch level in the tray; it'll wick up into the potting mix, and the heatpad will provide the extra humidity needed. Plant the rhizome three to 5 inches below the surface. If you can find/build one, put a clear plastic container (bin/trash can/whatever) over the pot to keep in the heat & humidity, remembering that condensation will happen so provide proper drainage (my homemade clingfilm-wrapped bamboo&coathanger-framed cover's OD was roughly that of the ID of the pebble tray, making the contraption nearly self-watering). Put the whole thing in the sunniest window you have, keep the water topped up, and pray. I could get ginger & turmeric to grow, but none of the others. Might have been a PH thing, might have been a soil chemistry thing. I'm not sure ... This was a little over thirty five years ago, when I was young & dumb & absolutely certain I knew it all ;-)

Agree on the experimentation.

8. Blitheringeejit
    Thumb Up

Sprouting seeds should also get a mention

Even if you have no garden, you can still make a really nice variety of salad and stir-fry ingredients by sprouting seeds. It's dead easy too - just get a large glass jar, soak seeds in it overnight, then drain (cap the jar with a piece of muslin held on by an elastic band) and leave on a windowsill. Rinse the seeds three times a day (more if you can) by filling with clean water, swilling around, and emptying.

Standard supermarket beansprouts are mung beans, but I don't like them much - alfalfa is much nicer in salads and sarnies, and sprouted seeds from clover, radishes, any brassicas, or indeed pretty much any legumes are great - they taste surprisingly different from their parent plant (some quite spicey), are really good for you, and cost very little compared to buying sprouted seeds or the equivalent weight in fresh veg. Check your local wholefood shop for packets of seeds for sprouting.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I'm a firm believer in evolution in the garden

... if it can't grow on its own without help it's doomed...

Herself is in charge of the pretty stuff and growing the lawn; I get to look after an 8'x6' green house and a couple of small raised beds.

Usually we get some sort of tomatoes and peppers working in the greenhouse - some curly orange Romano peppers from seeds taken from a supermarket pepper, last year, so I'm curious to see what the second generation does, and some dedo de mocha 'cold' peppers. And some strange Bulgarian tomatoes.

Outside, last year was not a great success. Some leeks worked, and some onions, but nothing else wanted to grow. Lettuces merely fed slugs, and cabbages won't grow for me at all. Even the apple tree didn't deliver, though the plums were so heavy they were breaking the branches off.

This year, there are potatoes outside (they'd started chitting in the kitchen) and there will be some beans, with luck.

10. Triggerfish

Unfortunately not young any more, willing to go on the possibility of dumb.:)

It tends just from a bit of observation (just comparing to local weather from other people in nearby places - maybe hearsay is more accurate) to have a more warmer microclimate here nestled in a valley.

Its definitely been a case with the lemongrass etc of suck it and see with left overs rather than a proper attempt to grow. Weirdly out of the two stalks, the one that's produced roots doesn't seem to be shooting new greenery (and has been planted) the one that had been sitting in water and hadn't produced roots yet was going to be chucked but seems to be sprouting new fresh green growth (and as such has had a stay of execution.

I had a feeling the rhizomes may have been suffering since they have just been plonked in the same dirt trough as the mint, coriander, basil has been growing in. So have had the feeling it may be too damp and cause rot, but I was being lazy and to get to the bag of compost I had would have required emptying out the whole of the cupboard under the stairs. (sod law whatever you put at the back you need).

Next time I will try and rig up something like you suggested.

Window space is still premium at the moment as I am still growing bits of moss over wood etc, after that I think microsalad and sprouting seeds is going to get a try. I may even try rigging a mini hydroponic type set up, but I am also contemplating once an open topped fishtank is built planting in shower caddies around it and running some of the tank water through it or having it partially dipped in there and seeing if it wicks up - on the theory that its going to get nice warmth and a decent lighting from the tank lighting .

11. jake Silver badge

Just picked up a couple Ghost Pepper seedlings ...

... Wish me & mine luck, hopefully we'll survive ;-)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Just picked up a couple Ghost Pepper seedlings ...

These things seem to like it here ... about a couple dozen half-centimeter fruits on each plant, and probably two hundred and fifty flowers on both of 'em. Big, bright-green, half-playing-card sized leaves. Pretty plant, could be used as a decorative. I touched one of the young fruits, and then my lips ... These thingies are going to be fsckin' HOT :-)

Recipe(s) for use to follow ...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Just picked up a couple Ghost Pepper seedlings ...

They were advertised as Yellow Ghost ... They are Red Ghost.

Oh, my freaking gawdess, are these things hot!

Nice flavo(u)r, though, if you can get past the heat :-)

12. MArnold

I don't currently do anything like this, but would like to in the near future. Best way to know that what you're eating hasn't been messed with.

13. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Those 'chuck 'em in' spuds

Produced seven kilos from a square meter this weekend. Had another crop of rhubarb, too. Peppers coming along but I don't think the tomatoes love me any more, and the gigantes beans are in hurry up and wait mode.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon