back to article Terabit trial gives Telstra some backbone

The 995 kilometre optic fibre link from Sydney to Melbourne has played host to Australia's first demonstration of a commercial terabit-per-second fibre system. Announcing the demonstration, Telstra's director of transport and routing engineering David Robertson noted that it owns the largest amount of fibre in the country, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds good

When can I get this at home?

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Re: Sounds good

You won't. But I'm sure that, midway between Sydney and Melbourne, some of it will be siphoned off to service the House on the Hill.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds good

Not. Unless you can afford Telstra leeching your wallet at over $1000 a second plus tax.

2. DownUndaRob
    FAIL

Data Useage

Robertson noted that technologies like the terabit transport are important, since both Internet and non-Internet data traffic are doubling each year.

Yet Telstra's latest mobile phone plans double the call and text quotas and halves the data useage available... left hand/right hand I think.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Meanwhile in Canberra...

Tony and Mal's carrier pigeon service was further delayed today when "Lil' Betsy" went off her seed.

4. HappyBlue
    WTF?

Robertson noted that technologies like the terabit transport are important, since both Internet and non-Internet data traffic are doubling each year.

And yet the Oppositions NBN 'plan' is based on the 'fact' that there is no growth in internet usage and so there is no requirement for faster speeds! Go figure ...

5. Christian Berger

So is this per wavelength?

Because 10 Gig is already standard per wavelength, and you can run about 100 wavelengths over a pair of fibres totalling around 10 Terabits per second.

1. earplugs

Re: So is this per wavelength?

Telstra is a monopoly, so they can run fibre as slow as they want.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like