back to article Chinese cops shutter PRC's biggest pirate movie site

The Chinese authorities’ ongoing efforts to crack down on piracy have claimed another big scalp after police shuttered the nation's largest online source of not-entirely-properly-sourced movies last Friday, cuffing eight execs along the way. Siluhd.com is said to have over 140 million members, who each pay 50 yuan (£5) every …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Defies Belief.

"Siluhd.com is said to have over 140 million members, who each pay 50 yuan (£5) every month to access a vast range of movies the site probably isn't really allowed to offer."

1) "Siluhd" looks like no form of Chinese with which I am familiar; unless that's "Si Lu HD (High Def)" in which case I'm too lazy to get my Mandarin dictionaries out - assuming it's Mandarin in the first place. (And anyway, I'd need to see the actual characters.)

2) "Over 140 million members, who each pay 50 yuan (£5) every month" is over a billion dollars a month. That has to be wrong, doesn't it? 50 yuan is £5.20 times 140 million equals £728,000,000 or $1,130,280,000 per month (at today's rate of £1 = $1.55). This defies belief. Zhou Mou should have become the richest man in the world a long time ago.

3) " A vast range of movies the site probably isn't really allowed to offer." Yeah, probably.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Defies Belief.

Well, a quick name change never hurts anyone.....

2. LarsG
      Meh

Sites like this in China only exist with the permission of the authorities.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its missing a . in there, its 1.4 million members not 140 million

http://english.caijing.com.cn/2013-04-26/112716865.html?utm_source=Sinocism+Newsletter&utm_campaign=5b8e2a7f18-Sinocism04_28_13&utm_medium=email

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          Happy

@turtle: Re: "its 1.4 million members not 140 million"

Talking about messing up units......... :

"

That's still over £7 million (US$1.1 million) a month though.
          "

:-)

1. Turtle

@Jamie Jones: Re: @turtle: "its 1.4 million members not 140 million"

*sighs*

Oh well! (I am going to delete that message and repost a corrected variant.) But thank you for pointing that out.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
              Happy

Re: @Jamie Jones: @turtle: "its 1.4 million members not 140 million"

:-) Any time!

2. Turtle

"its 1.4 million members not 140 million"

And right you are! (And thank you for actually taking the time to look which I should have done myself.) Still, leaving out the decimal point should have inflated the number by 10x to 14 million and not by 100x to the 140 million given in the story. That's still over £7 million (nearly US$11 million) a month though.

"Siluhd.com, founded 10 years ago has grown into a leading blu-ray site in China gathering tens of thousands of blu-rays as well as quality music and games, with more than 1.4million members and daily average concurrent users of over 30,000." (From the Caijing link given in the article.)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's still a significant amount of money each month.

Is that 1.4m paying members a month (reports are abir contradictory) because thats in the region of £7m a month.

With that much money he could easily pay his way out of this problem.

2. RAMChYLD
    Boffin

They should rethink their strategy

If they hadn't censored the movies and actually allowed more western movies through, people wouldn't turn to piracy!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all good

Maybe in China they'll just shoot these criminals instead of wasting jail space?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

With those kind of customer numbers, he should've just worked out a profit sharing scheme with the studios he was stealing content from, he still would've been making a LOT of money. He worked hard to get the customer base but was too greedy in the end.

6. Tony Paulazzo
    Alien

So Hollywood could be making $11 billion dollars a month from China but they'd rather just whinge and whine about piracy?

Is this the definition of insanity?

Fuck!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like