back to article Brit uploaders teach Yanks man-hug techniques

British web-vid upload site VideoJug launched yesterday in the States, offering a striking example of reverse cultural colonisation. VideoJug is a sort of how-to version of YouTube, offering short instructional clips on diverse topics such as tying a Windsor knot and coping with cancer. But, as Reuters tech hacks in New York …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Colin Jackson

Come on!

This must be the slowest fucking news day since there was nothing but void without form. Get a proper job!

2. Kevin Eastman

Homophobic Tripe from the Reg???

I quite enjoy the El Reg, and respect it's opinions most of the time, but after reading the homophobic tripe Mr. Lewis page spouts in this article, I may have to re-evaluate my own opinion of El Reg. I am surprised to be reading an article such as this, in this day and age.

3. English Bob

Somebody needs a hug

Within acceptable guidelines, of course...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm.....

I think its meant to be humourous, ironic, tongue-in-cheek? Perhaps?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get a life....

Homophobic means fear of homosexuality, or homosexuals. This article doesn't seem to contain either. A fear of displaying emotions in public maybe.....

6. Stephen Gazard

ditto

it's massively tongue in cheek, not 'homophobic tripe.' Please re-read the article with that in mind and you might notice it being that way

7. Jason Harvey

Heh

looks like some peeps need a hug so they can calm down. Tongue in cheek for sure... with a stiff upper lip!

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Well, I thought it was funny.

It's good to laugh at ourselves now and then. I agree with Lewis these videos should come with appropriate health warnings about "not trying this at home" and "hugging people can damage your health".

9. Justin Case

Oo er missus

You said "tongue in cheek"!

10. Demian Phillips

Hello!

What I think everyone needs is a good hug from Brian Blessed.

11. Morely Dotes

El Reg editors on vacation? Or made redundant?

"America is, after all, the home of the inappropriate emotional display."

Right. And who was blubbing about some poor sod who was shot dead in the Tube by British cops?

Oh, and do go get some linguistic help. "Mana-a-mano" means hand-to-hand, you illiterate boob.

12. Graham Lockley

Humour is dead...

Well it would appear so from some of the reactions posted here.

Maybe the humour (note TWO U's in that word) is a little too British for some readers ;)

13. Angus Lidstone

Depends on where you are from

"America is, after all, the home of the inappropriate emotional display."

"Right. And who was blubbing about some poor sod who was shot dead in the Tube by British cops?"

Morely, what are you trying to say here? I am afraid it has completely lost me.

"Oh, and do go get some linguistic help. "Mana-a-mano" means hand-to-hand, you illiterate boob."

To spanish speakers and you pehaps. But the english (and probably other languages too.. cept perhaps for French :P) language is rife with stolen phrases/words that have their pronuciation or meaning twisted or changed to suit the locals. So I would contest that your "you illiterate boob" statement should be changed to "you regional illiterage boob", cos he makes perfect sense to me and others in my particular neck of the woods.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Man hugs... and other such activities.

As an American, A glance at photos of you brits playing cricket clearly demonstrates the unmanliness of your athletes, and thus, by some accounts, your population. For example, http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/DB/112004/056052.jpg Any sport in which 2 men in golf clothes can prance around, while another man with a jockey helmet, and a badly made oar cowers away from a small red ball is clearly not manly. Even our geeks are more manly than your professional atheletes, (see http://www-tech.mit.edu/V115/N4/hockey_check.gif). As such, I feel that Britain is uniquely unqualified to determine acceptable levels of man on man affection, methods for demonstrating said affection and its relationship with manliness.

Show your manly affection the manly American way... just grab their ass.

15. JP

Man on man affection...

is a completely different topic of conversation! This is man TO man affection, surely?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Manly sports?

Isn't it a little ironic that an American should criticise an "English" sport as unmanly? Bearing in mind that the American NFL players are wrapped up in so much protective gear that you could have a 10 year old girl play without being injured, I find our American friends comments to be ridiculous in the extreme.

On the other hand, I'm Irish. We play a sport called Hurling - which is the fastest field sport in the world. It's a little bit too physical for most Americans, though there a few teams in the UK. A little sample, til I find a better clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOggPACWsvs

17. Field Marshall Watkins

Girly Men!?!

Ha ha. Men playing golf! That's a game of... um. dunno, couldn't care less.

If you want to see an example of girly Brits, then look no further than Rugby. Over here we don't need to wear cushions to get stuck in ;-)

And we get paid less. lol

18. James Cleveland

whoa

A pretty awesome site.

19. spezzer

f****n

brilliant!

This topic is closed for new posts.