back to article High-rollers’ shop pitches wallet-pounding, wall-pummelling MONSTER TV

Suddenly found yourself with £35,000 in your pocket and can’t think what to spend it on? Wander on down to posh shop Selfridges which says it has the answer: Samsung’s S9, an Ultra HD enormo-telly boasting 4K x 2K resolution. And you’ll get a whole penny in change. Selfridges, which describes the Samsung set as “truly a work …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. thesykes

is the frame part of it? looks nasty.

1. Tom_

Yeah, that's put me off getting one.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The frame contains the speakers (on the vertical as well as the top 'crossbar'), and is in any case removable if you prefer to mount the television on your wall.

It strikes me that complaining about the frame is a little moot, since anyone in a position to spend £35,000 on a television can spare a few thousand to have some builders come in and reinforce their living room wall, and then buy a separate surround-sound system.

2. Gordon Pryra

The frame comes off

You can hang it on the wall with the Samsung "string" wall mount.

Tbh though you will need a big pair to actually do that, it was scary enough hanging my 55", the final "release" when you need to trust the 2 grand to the string was bad, imagine trusting it to hold 35k....

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: The frame comes off

String? If you've got the cash for this TV, you'll have the cash to a, reinforce your wall, and b, attach the TV to the wall securely. Even paying a local steel fabricator to build you a custom frame that can be hidden behind plasterboard isn't going to cost much more than a grand... a chunk of money for me, but pocket change to those this TV set is aimed at, surely?

Supporting systems are usually rated to a load, including a safety margin of at least three times. For extra peace of mind you use a back-up system (such as used on stage-lighting fixtures to avoid a can falling on someone's head), and beyond that you have insurance.

1. JDX Gold badge

String/rope/wire routinely hold hundreds of Kg and things costing far more - the mast on a yacht for instance.

1. Alan Edwards
            FAIL

... or suspension bridges, which weigh considerably more than that.

Those do tend to be put together by people who know what they're doing though, not hung off a drawing pin banged into some plaster board by some moron with the wrong end of a screw driver.

2. Natalie Gritpants

Ugly

3. Stuart Ball

Dumb Telly?

Hang on!

You get a massive screen, huge resolution and its all connected to an STB which makes it smart, so you can keep the screen but upgrade your Smart TV bit....

It's a TV and Console combo!

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: Dumb Telly?

The "Evolution Kit" is a smartphone-sized box that clips into a socket on the back of the TV.

See:- http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2013/01/10/samsung-evolution-kit-smart-tv-and-the-colliding-worlds-of-phones-pcs-and-televisions/

4. Len Goddard

Why?

No room, no content, no point.

(and no dosh).

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Why?

Telly, shmelly.

Try 4K games machine.

With four in a square, you'd have a nice industrial VR rig.

5. Stuart 14
    Happy

Stand, no problem

Just wall mount it and use the stand as a cloths horse.

Of course it might tear the east wing of your castle down due to the weight.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Stand, no problem

>Of course it might tear the east wing of your castle down due to the weight.

Well, if you collect classic motorcycles, you invest in a secure garage*. If you collect old manuscripts, you might consider a climate-control system. The amount you would have to spend on making your gaff suitable for this TV set is unlikely to cost more than a few percent of the price of the unit itself... well, round here it wouldn't; I'm blissfully ignorant of the rate builders in London might charge!

*(I actually know of one man in London who has been collecting classic motorcycles such as Broughs since the 1970s... though the value of the bikes has increased over the years, the market value of the dozen or so garages he bought to store them in has increased much, much more!)

6. Rampant Spaniel

Thats a UHD set, not a 4k set :-)

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

People still watch telly?

I can think of dozens of better things to buy. For 35k, I could have them all.

8. Anomalous Cowshed

TV

I know this is going to sound controversial - but I never understood the principle of people paying for television sets. TV is mostly about conditioning and FUD, i.e. subtle, fun but highly effective mind-control. And yet we keep getting excited about better, thinner, higher resolution ways of having our imagination and free-thinking propensities sapped away. We even think it normal to pay a yearly tax for the privilege. I suppose this is similar to paying tithes to the church - which my eccentric mind sees as the predecessor of today's TV.

9. I think so I am?
    Facepalm

could pay for a lot strip shows or a nice German car, or a conservatory.

Even if you was rich enough to buy this, why the hell would you?

By a £10k projector and have a 300" screen

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: 35k

Other than as a tool for work (barco and eizo and a few others have had actual 4k screens out for a while) I can't see it as having much attraction other than to those who have to have the latest of everything. Common sense says in a year or two they will be a tenth of the price. Theyre already lots cheaper than this one. A friend works for rolex in a store, she was hyped because a Japanese tourist bought a $100k rolex and she made 15% off it. Seriously, 100k on a watch, and a rolex at that. Some folks just have enough money to spend that and not notice. Must be nice!

Personally when uhd drops to 1500-2000 for a decent brand set I might get one assuming theres content and the picture is worth it. When Eizo have a model out for under 4k I'll have one for work (photographer so I have a vague need). Until then it's not worth it.

2. Eddy Ito

Re: 35k

I was thinking it would be a nice boost to my individual retirement/savings account. Heck, I could max it out for a few years and still have enough left over for trip to the Bahamas.

10. David Evans

Evolution Kit

Interestingly, I've stuck one of these on the back of my (rather more modest) Samsung telly; a 30 quid Raspberry Pi.

11. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Harvey Norman

The local Harvey Norman has an 85" on display (I forget if LG or Samsung). Very nice too. €13,500 sounds a lot but much shorter life Plasma TVs with only 480 lines used to sell at €6,000.

Considering all else equal 84" panels will have about 4 times as many rejects as 42" panels and all the Electronics etc, you'd expect the 84" equivalent of top of the range 42" to be about £5000 rather than £35,000

Sure isn't everyone watching 4" and 7" screens now :-)

12. Shakes
    Flame

Glossy or not?

Is that actually a non-glossy screen?

One would almost be tempted to splash out for such an exclusive feature... </sarcasm>

13. Ketlan
    FAIL

Gawdelpus

Anyone who buys one of these is a complete and utter twat. Downvote all you like but I'm firmly of the opinion that TV and the mush it seems to make of people's brains is the blight of our country. And no, I don't have one and I have no desire to get one.

1. Yesnomaybe

Re: Gawdelpus

Well you aren't really in a position to comment then, are you?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you have extra deep pockets go to Costco for 152 inch TV

Panasonic TH-152UX1W 152 Inch 4K2K Plasma Display - Fully Installed Package £599,999.89 (inc VAT)

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.1,cos_1.1.1/142976

15. Toadkiller

Everything was fine until the near-sighted professor mistook it for a chalkboard and wrote on it.

16. Red Bren
    Paris Hilton

Sales-droid overhype

"it has a pair of tuners that are capable of picking up cable, satellite and terrestrial DVB-T2 transmissions"

Really? I can plug a cable/satellite feed straight into a telly and view Virgin or Sky without their set top boxes? Sorry if I take this with a pinch of salt but I'm just getting flashbacks from conversations I've had in Dixons/Currys/Comet that went along the lines of:

Sales Droid: "It has 99 preset channels!"

Me: "Really? Why would I need 99 presets when there are only 4* channels I can tune them to?"

SD: "You can use them for satellite channels..."

Me: "So I won't need a set-top box?"

SD: "Well no, you'll still need the set top box..."

Me: "But I can assign the TVs presets to different satellite channels?"

SD: "Er... no, you assign one channel to the set-top box and change channels on that."

Me: "Ok, so why do I need the other 94 preset channels?"

SD: "Errrr..."

* I'm showing me age.

1. Richard 74

Re: Sales-droid overhype

The satellite one could probably be used for Freesat, but not Sky, and the cable one is useless in the UK. They're only there because they're useful for other countries - I think Germany has ubiquitous cable TV that would just connect like this? Could be wrong. Less hassle than designing an additional model without them just for the UK I guess.

17. ecofeco Silver badge
    Joke

But....

...does it go to 11?

18. Christian Berger

I could imagine this on the wall of an architects office

You could finally show plans in all of their glory on a computer screen. No more plotting or printing on A0 sheets of paper, just the full plan on a screen where you don't need to zoom or scroll. Finally you have the ability for multiple people to look at the same screen.

19. A 31

35K to spare

... or you could still buy a nice telly for 5K, realise that spending all that money on a screen is insane, and give some cash to a charity that will do something meaningful with it

This world ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 35K to spare

If I'm a multi-millionaire and donate 5 million to charity every year surely I can buy my 35k telly without feeling in the least bit guilty. Certainly you, who I guess don't donate millions each year (which charities often piss away btw) can't lecture me on my behaviour.

Now I'm off to spend £600k on an even bigger, telly thanks to the poster above for the link :)

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.1,cos_1.1.1/142976

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like