back to article Google's $1 fiber deal will cost Provo, Utah $1.7m

Google's sweetheart deal to take over the city of Provo, Utah's loss-making fiber network will come with hidden costs, the city's mayor has revealed. Last week, The Register reported that the Provo city council was planning to vote on a deal that would allow Google to take ownership of the city's multimillion-dollar municipal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Recovery.

"The contractor that originally buried the cables didn't keep records, so the city will now need to pay a civil engineering firm around $500,000 to find them."

I would hope that the city could sue the contractor and so recover the costs of locating the cable.

1. S 11
      Pint

Re: Recovery.

I copied the exact same paragraph as you.

"The contractor that originally buried the cables didn't keep records, so the city will now need to pay a civil engineering firm around $500,000 to find them."

How about the city; do they keep records of the plans the contractor should have filed to get a building(sic) permit? That kind of right-of-way stuff tends to happen in modern cities.

It can be construed two ways: Google is Saving or Google is Hijacking the previous install. Either way, $1.7m is pretty good. Here in Austin Google is giving the city 100 free access points (libraries, schools, etc). Can you imagine how much ANY other contractor would charge for that alone?

I am among the many who welcome/celebrate our Google overlords/ladies.

Beer for the cheer!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

More likely contractor was paid to pull cable and filed the correct permits for that work.

But the contractor wasn't paid to hook up the equipment so didn't care which one was fibre #1 in cable #2 of bundle #3. The city engineering dept didn't care as long as they recorded which road was being dug up.

Since nobody has connected anything to these bare fibees nobody has a list of which ones go where

2. beep54

As another Austinite, I'm curious as to how much we know about our buried fiber. During the dot.com boom, everybody and their 3rd cousins twice removed were laying this stuff (downtown at least) all over the damn place, mainly I think, just because they could. I believe no one even had to ask for right-of-way. Since any number of those companies must have surely gone tits up, I really have to wonder if anyone knows what the hell is down there anymore. Considering that the widening of S. Congress was delayed by years because of incredibly shoddy record keeping, I have some doubts. Hell, even when our oldest hotel downtown (the magnificent Driskoll) remodeled, they found something like a forgotten basement. It'll be interesting, for sure. Nice about the free access points tho. Hope that includes UT...

2. jnffarrell1
    Linux

Buy a Pig in a Poke for One Dollar

Not Google.

3. Rob 5

Isn't this what always happens...

... whenever we let government, at any level, spend money? They piss away a shed load on an ill conceived and pooply* implemented idea, then spend even more on giving whatever value they didn't destroy to some politically connected kleptocrat.

The only surprise is that we still let the fsckers have control of anything more valuable than the biscuit barrel.

* This was, of course, a typo made while attempting to type the word "poorly". I was about to correct it, but realised that the typo was more accurate and expressive than the intended word could ever be.

4. eAbyss

"Part of the problem, it seems, is that Provo has laid so much fiber under its streets since it started building out its network in 2008 that it no longer knows where it all is.

The contractor that originally buried the cables didn't keep records, so the city will now need to pay a civil engineering firm around $500,000 to find them."

With piss poor management like that no wonder why the company was operating at a loss.

$1.7m may seem like a lot but when you consider that Google supplies schools, libraries, etc with free Gigabit internet it's a steal. Also Google is putting up $18m of it's own money to fix and update the network so it's not like Google is getting this for nothing.

I personally can't wait till Google fiber is everywhere. I'm tired of cable companies, who have a conflict of interest, nickle and diming us for internet access. Time to catch up with the rest of the world when it comes to speed and cost of internet access.

5. Gordon Pryra

Blame it on the contractor

Couple of points here

1) They just handed out a lump sum of cash and said "get on with it"? No emails detailing when and for how long roads would be closed etc?

2) Considering its only been done within 5 years, look at your own paperwork and restore the emails from those members of staff they are using to pass the buck onto.

Once again, civil authority proving that Governments of all stripes cant be trusted and would have gone bankrupt if forced to play in the real world (like those company's who fund them through taxes)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

quantum leap

do these jerks know what a quantum leap is? I always laugh when someone uses that term to describe a 'big' change in something when in actual fact, a 'quantum leap' is the smallest possible state change. Doh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: quantum leap

A quantum leap in a non-physics sense is a sudden and significant advance or change.

It comes from physics for a sudden state change.

Therefore this 'jerk' may have been correctly describing that they were sat on a project that was draining money and looked like it wasn't going anywhere and nothing would be finished without massive cost increases to a turnaround in a couple of weeks with a new provider, large investment, cheap deal for residents and major investment.

That is a sudden state change. It's not a massive event - like an earthquake flattening the city, it's a significant and quick event.

Therefore I'd say this guy was right and either way you seem more like the jerk.

2. Yag

Re: quantum leap

Well... Most of the time, they are right.

Most of those "quantum leaps" are quite smaller than the big words might imply.

7. dougal83
    Happy

Nice to see local governments fail everywhere when there are budgets to spend. Impressive that they even raised bonds to pay for this... How long until some genius with no experience and a PRINCE 2 certificate successfully pulls that off over here?

8. mathew42
    Pint

Google to bid for Australia's NBN?

I'm beginning to think the best outcome for Australia would be for Labor to sell* NBNCo to Google prior to the election in September.

*where sell is defined as give with extra cash

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like