back to article Spectre of Steve Jobs in one last outing at WWDC

Tickets for the annual Apple Worldwide Developers Conference will go on sale tomorrow, offering fanbois the chance to ogle some of Steve Job's final creations. Launched with a flash new logo resembling a day-glo jelly mould, the event will showcase the work that has been going on in Cupertino over the past year. Apple has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Darryl
    Trollface

Damn. The title had me thinking they'd hired the 'Tupac Hologram' guys to try and reanimate Steve

2. StevenN

"Apple has not fared well in the years since Jobs shuffled off this mortal coil"

Apple has increased from 100 billion/year to 170 billion/year since "Jobs shuffled off this mortal coil". Do you have a different definition of "not fared well" than I do?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Do you have a different definition of "not fared well" than I do?"

Maybe I am naive, but bleeding market share doesn't seem like a great sign, unless something changes.

1. Silver

"Maybe I am naive, but bleeding market share doesn't seem like a great sign, unless something changes."

A reduction in market share doesn't mean much when the market is still expanding.

Using completely made up numbers, you could easily go from 100% market share to 70% in one year but (thanks to the increase in the size of the market) still be shipping 3x more units than you did the year before.

2. Moeluk

Hmmmm

Bleeding is something of an overstatement

Any new market that's created relys on early adopters spending a lot of cash for the best thing available...

Then when cheaper alternatives arrive and the market expands then the poorer people buy the cheaper alternatives....as for market cap, well that's always inevitable it's peaks and troughs..

As for WWDC 2013? I for one can't wait to see what Ive has done with ios...and it would be awesome to see 'one more thing' to make a return

3. ThomH

Sorry, share in which market is meant to be bleeding?

Steve Jobs died in October 2011. According to StatCounter iOS had 23.48% worldwide market share then. It's now April 2013. According to StatCounter iOS has 26.65% worldwide market share. Market share is up since Jobs died.

Maybe if we limit the numbers to Europe? Then we're talking 38.86% now versus 42.29% then but that's hardly a bleed. North America goes the other way with 41.03% then turning into 51.79% now.

Okay, what about the Mac? Worldwide share was 7.18% in October 2011 and is 7.04% now; in Europe that's a transition from 6.79% to 7.53%, in North America it's from 13.91% to 11.6%. So the continents are reversed in their trends versus iOS but in neither case is the change particularly massive.

Check out http://gs.statcounter.com/ to try any combination you like — the objective reality is that Apple's marketshare hasn't bled since Jobs died.

2. danR2
      Devil

Well, Apple's legal department leading edge R&D labs have done pretty well for themselves.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

f--king nerds...

talking about market share, sales and profits. I realize this is the Register, but isn't it about time you got "on message"? Surely now we should be speculating about every possible feature Apple might put in its next phone and in doing so feed the rumour mill, which is after all what its really all about.

Well, that and advertising.

4. Barbarian At the Gates

*yawn*

At this point in the hype-cycle, we would have heard about 15 rumorted new features of the iPhone 6, have leaked information on how the next OS X point release was going to have all kinds of stuff in it.

We would have...if there was any sizzle left in Apple these days.

1. Moeluk

Re: *yawn*

You havent been round very long have you?

I remember the days when you could go for weeks if not months, without mac rumour sites posting new stories...because secrecy was so high...the whole point is that apple is truly sizzling when we hear nothing!

1. Barbarian At the Gates

Nope, not very long. First Apple device I used was an Apple ][. Maybe Apple will announce an Apple ]|[? Now that would be something...

1. Snapper
          Joke

Er.........

You do know they did, don't you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_III

Or were you tempting us.................

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...headache-inducing riot of colour..." are you serious?

Come on, don't be a chump.

6. Rukario
    Stop

Sold out

How long did it take for the fanbois to scoop up all the available tickets?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like