back to article Amazon: Hard luck Microsoft, AWS will always be cheaper

Amazon’s struck back at Microsoft camp over its "lowering" of its cloud computing prices by touting Amazon’s track record for saving money. The etailer-turned-cloud-giant’s chief technology officer Werner Vogels yesterday claimed there had been 31 price reductions in AWS since the service went live in 2006 – seven years ago. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Always cheaper?

Maybe for Linux instances, but I bet MS can turn the screws on hosted Windows instances should the wish to bring AWS in line with Azure pricing.

What, you say they would never do such an anti-competitive move?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Always cheaper?

It's anti-competitive to lower their prices?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@JDX

No - they can raise the price they charge AWS for Windows licenses (but don't have to pay themselves). Simplez!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: @JDX

They could but they make tons of money from AWS as well. It would not do MS any good if their AWS customers got huge price hikes because migrating to Azure might be no easier than porting to Linux and staying on AWS without needing to migrate data.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Always cheaper?

Microsoft are not one to sell on the up front price being lowest. Cheapest != Best. Lowest TCO would be Microsoft's aim....

2. Skoorb

Lock-in

"Of course, AWS can lock you in to Amazon by sheer volume of data: it’s easier and cheaper to upload data than to remove it. Once it’s there, you need big enough pipes to extract it - and you'll have to pay Amazon to do it."

This should not be forgotten. You should always have a current price pinned to the wall for bulk extraction of all your data through Amazon's 'Import/Export' service (http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/). If you can't afford to pay it on any given day, realise you are locked in.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Lock-in

And only now you get why companies want you on cloud/subscription models ?

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Really, if you have any sense you will have an independent backup copy so no matter what your cloud provider does, or has done to them, you still have your data.

Though before you get to that stage, you should be asking serious questions about the security of all of your data in another company/country. No open client-side encryption? Then fsck off!

1. JDX Gold badge

Easy to say, harder to do when you're talking about big amounts of data. Even if you have a copy, getting it into another setup is a big job because data volume has increased far faster than upload speeds.

3. ThePlanMan
    Happy

New International

I was there yesterday and found it hilarious that a few minutes before News International's CIO came on (and referred the the company as NI the whole time) everyone was asked to turn their phones off.

4. Doverton

I love the fact that 330,000 customer recommendations would lead to $22M in savings. That works out at a massive $67 saving per customer and I presume per year. That is a drop in the ocean of other considerations like management, availability, performance etc. I'm not saying MS is better at these at all, just that the saving is small and probably not relevant versus other decisions!

5. JCitizen
    Facepalm

Azure a security joke..

Don't rely on Azure if you have IP to protect; you will lose it. I suspect highly, that there are insiders over there allowing many outside interests access to customers data in a way that should cause someone to be shot at sunrise! I have great disdain for what they are trying to do over there. Microsoft needs to wake-up to the customer's security needs, and quit putting its collective head in the sand.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like