back to article General Electric pours $105 MEEELION into Pivotal Initiative

General Electric is pouring $105m into Pivotal, a skunkworks cloud and big data company spun-out of VMware and EMC. The investment was announced on Wednesday, several hours before Pivotal held its coming out party first major press conference. "It's no secret that the cloud and big data are driving dramatic business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter 39

Hard to know where this will end up

Hard to know where this will end up. If history is any guide, they'll blow it.

GE was doing intercontinental networking in 1969.

GE has the first block of IP address space 3.xx.xx.xx (0, 1 and 2 have special purposes).

But shortsighted management frittered it all away during the 80's.

Quite sad, actually.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hard to know where this will end up

I'm very happily using my 3.xx.xx.xx address. It was not frittered away in the 80's.

A lot of the Big Data, Industrial Internet, Internet of Things is a bit of spin on old ideas. But GE has the clout to make it visible to the masses, even if it is a bit of a "NASA drawing on Mars" (cockup in the end!)

My only worry is what the Bean Counters make of it at the end of the next quarter - they can't see past immediate return.

1. Peter 39

Re: Hard to know where this will end up

"My only worry is what the Bean Counters make of it at the end of the next quarter - they can't see past immediate return"

That was the exact problem back then.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Mfg Automation Protocol 2.0 anyone?

Might have been better.

Did not seem to take off.

GE have been round this block before.

But note that GE is (like IBM or NASA) not a monolith.

The key question is "Whose faction is in the ascendent?"

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Volatile IP Capital Spooks the Markets

"It's no secret that the cloud and big data are driving dramatic business transformation," Bill Ruh, leader of GE's global software center, said in a canned statement. "They are enabling the Industrial Internet."

Well, giving billions to millions with the common good sense to spend it uncommonly wisely, is a Great Start in All SMARTR Greater IntelAIgent Games Plays which Returns All to the Beginning of Life in LOVEnvironments .

Pick the right one in millions and billions and trillions are assured. Choosing to follow unsound and incomplete ideas can be catastrophically expensive and are easily threaded into narratives and Special Instruction Sets is a sound enough hare-brained idea for Spooky HQ Everywhere to prepare for and expect in the flash of an instance , with future revealed paths to nurture and seed/tend for growth in Fields of Contentment and Spheres of Awesome Control Energy being the Private Pirate Proprietary Intellectual Property of Virtual Interests of virtual interest to Spooky HQ Everywhere.

Trick or Treat, and remember, wrong choices are mistakes and can be devastatingly costly and expensive too.

4. ecofeco Silver badge
    Mushroom

Does this not scare anyone else?

"GE is betting that Pivotal has the best tech in town for analyzing and commanding the millions of sensors and actuators that industrial giants like GE, contemporaries Honeywell, and others are busily putting into all their new devices."

Seriously?

1. Don Jefe

Re: Does this not scare anyone else?

Why does it bother you? I'm not trying to be an ass, just want to know if you're picking up something there I'm missing.

5. hammarbtyp
    Thumb Up

The next big idea?

This is all tied into what GE sees as the growth of the "Industrial Internet", which is a bit of a nebulous term. One way of looking at it is that as sensors etc get more powerful as a natural result of Moores law, there abilities grow and the amount of data generated from increases as well.

The idea is that the data can be captured and analysed and services built on the data, which are then fed back to the customer. In many ways this is akin to what google does with search data, although in this case the primary source is from machines.

This is already done with things like Jet Engines and GE sees the whole industrial landscape as ripe for this sort of innovation.

Whether they will succeed of not of course is uncertain, but I like big ideas, and this is definitely one of the biggest

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like