back to article Huawei preps new mobes to overhaul Apple

Huawei says it’s on track to almost double its smartphone sales this year with a target of 60 million units shifted, as it looks to peg back “superheroes” Samsung and Apple, but admitted its brand image is still holding it back from world domination. Speaking to media at the firm’s annual global analyst event in Shenzhen on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charles Manning

Looks like I might be almost right

For a good while now, I have forecast that Apple/Samsung spat will look like two kids having a playground pissing contest when Huawei gets going properly.

The only part of that prediction I want to change is that it will happen sooner.

Huawei has two hurdles to get over: technical ability to generate product - which they seem to have licked and building a brand that is strong enough to overcome barriers such as xenophobia.

It was only 50 years ago that Japan was that place that made crap toys that broke the day after Christmas. Now they are the country most people associate with quality and premium electronic brands.

Twenty years ago Korea was viewed as some squalid country that couldn't make anything. Just ten years ago nobody would have suspected that a Korean brand would out-cool Apple.

Why should it be any different for China? The only difference is speed. The Chinese will do it faster.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's the Skoda/Kia syndrome all over again

And look how things have changed now.

Watch out, Watch out, for there is a Huawei about.....

2. LarsG
      Meh

Re: Looks like I might be almost right

'It was only 50 years ago that Japan was that place that made crap toys that broke the day after Christmas. Now they are the country most people associate with quality and premium electronic brands.'

But look how the land of the committee run company has fallen.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks like I might be almost right

A name that's obvious how to pronounce might help as well... Not that the Ascend G300 wasn't bargain of the year!

1. The lone lurker
        Thumb Up

Re: Pronunciation

Phonetically it's "HOO - A - WAY" which when you look at it is not all that far of from "HU - A - WEI".

1. Tapeador
          Facepalm

Re: Pronunciation

it's not hooaway u fule ;-) it's "wah - way".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price?

Quality apart, its the price that will determine their success. If its priced at Apple levels, it will fail, since people will buy Apple instead.

Look what happened when HP, BB tried to make ( Very good Quality) tablets and priced it at Apple levels? No one even touched them till they brought down the prices.

Huawei is still a more remote name/brand. SO will need to do even better on prices. My sweet spot for a good specced smartphone is £250 ish, a la Nexus 4. Anything above that is pure super profits for the maker. (Apple) And if Customer focus is the stated aim, well profits should not be the driving force. Are you listening, Huawei?

1. Magnus Ramage

Re: Price?

That's why the G300 has done so well, at least in some circles - it does 80-90% of what most people need in a smartphone for £100, very much as the ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) did a couple of years ago. That's cheaper than your sweet spot, but fits well into my sweet spot!

1. Suburban Inmate
        Thumb Up

Agreed Magnus

I am on my second G300 (first MIA after I was mowed down by a minicab) and once all the vodafone shitware is cleared off and Cyanogen slapped on, it should be alright.

Just waiting on a replacement screen after my butterfingers let it faceplant on some concrete. How much for a new screen? A mere £11 from China via fleabay!

3. Frankee Llonnygog

I've said it before, but I still think it's funny

Their biggest problem in the Uk is their name. It sounds like a Geordie vomiting

1. Tapeador

Re: I've said it before, but I still think it's funny

lol it's not "haway" as in "haway the lads". it's wah-way. which ok i suppose is similar. pet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like