back to article Australian Federal Police claim arrest of 'LulzSec leader'

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) has arrested a man described "a self-proclaimed leader of the group ‘Lulz Security’ (Lulzsec), a computer hacking group that has existed since 2011." The as-yet-unnamed 24-year-old man was apprehended in the coastal town of Point Clare was arrested after using a known exploit to last month …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomalous Cowturd
    Joke

The leader of Lulzsec?

Yeah right.

And I'm the leader of Anonymous.

Plod. See icon.

1. Rukario
      Black Helicopters

Re: The leader of Lulzsec?

Confession accepted. Icon ignored.

1. Shagbag
        Paris Hilton

Typical hype from 'Down Under'

Still desperate to make sure people don't forget where Australia is, the AFP now claim they have the king-pin of LulzSec.

What a joke.

Typical Australian small-mindedness.

Paris, because the AFP are desperate.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: The leader of Lulzsec?

*SNERK*

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. FozzyBear
    Facepalm

Anyone dumb enough to publicly "proclaim" themselves the leader of any hacking group deserves to be arrested. Any cop dumb enough to believe these claims, should be sitting next to that idiot in the docks charged with diluting the gene pool

1. Oninoshiko

Who said the cop believed him?

It's an arrest, with a confession. That makes the cop look good. Why should he let little matters of "guilt" get in the way of his career?

2. GBL Initialiser

It doesn't say he publically stated it. Could just be worded badly. Maybe it was something said before under an Internet handle and they just matched it up with a person.

As it says, details are sketchy.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch
        Joke

It doesn't say he publically stated it

I am "Chessmaster Hex", and you may claim your £5.

4. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Although I often feel an urge to slap whoever writes AFP press releases around the head with a copy of "A Grammar of Contemporary English", or some equally weighty tome, on this occasion I'll go in to bat for them. The police did not describe him as the leader of Lulzsec, they said: "The man is a self-proclaimed leader of the group ‘Lulz Security’ (Lulzsec)" - note the indefinite article and that he proclaimed himself.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one who usually starts off thinking that articles about this particular area of Australia are inappropriate for a work environment?

1. Black Betty

Central Coast? Point Clare? Gosford?

Where's the offence?

It's a nearly vertical, temperate rainforest, bedroom community. It has 4 shops and a vet clinic, a volunteer sea rescue base, and a land based "training ship".

And really shitty fishing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Central Coast? Point Clare? Gosford?

"Where's the offence?"

Maybe because it's NS"F"W

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Another day ...

... another script kiddie commits felonies to try to please his Anonymous and Lulzsec "friends" and winds up in jail.

Kinda sad when you think about it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone dumb enough...

...to proclaim they are the "Leader of LulzSec" belongs in prison as they are too stupid to be out in public.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

He's suffered enough!

He lives in Gosford for christ's sake!

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Slumberingjournalist

The BBC's quote on this...

The Beeb news site's coverage of this story closes with this gem from our country's finest:

"Those thinking of engaging in such activities should be warned that hacking, creating or propagating malicious viruses or participating in Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are not harmless fun," Cyber Crimes Commander Glen McEwen said.

Too right, DDoS isn't harmless fun. In the wake of donation-throttling following from the Collateral Murder exposé, some of the DDoS going down seemed like a civic duty!

PS: that gets me thinking... "is not" harmless fun; "are not" harmless fun.

Clearly one of us doesn't know their are's from their elbow. Hope it's not me ;-0

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another dumb one bites the dust

These morons just don't get it, but they will when they end up in prison.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Another dumb one bites the dust

Even better, another skiddie who it seems is spilling his guts to the coppers!

12. JaitcH
    FAIL

The real offenders are ...

thos incompetents who can't set up servers and keep their patches current.

FAIL

Re: JaitcH Re: The real offenders are ...

"thos incompetents who can't set up servers and keep their patches current." Yeah, and people that get their houses burgled are at fault for not having steel shutters over the windows, and people that get mugged are at fault for not having a dozen armed bodyguards, and people that have their cars stolen are to blame for not putting boot clamps on every wheel AND steel shutters on all the windows, right? In truth, the real offenders would be the incompetents that "educated" you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The real offenders are ...

Ah, the old "blame the victim" meme that seems rather popular here of late, I'm sure that women who wear short skirts are "asking for it" too? No?

3. plrndl
      FAIL

Re: The real offenders are ...

You wouldn't say that if I came to your house and defeated your security locks with a sledge hammer. Security is not on or off, it's on a scale, and ANY security measure can be overcome with sufficient force/power/time, whether you're talking about your home or your server.

13. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

ROFL at Anonyputzs

".....Anons have dismissed him as likely operating generic software from a Windows machine...." Erm, excuse me, but ain't the fave tool of the Anonyputzs, the Low IQ Cannon, primarily a Windows app, even the Java browser version? Nice of them to expose the complete contempt they have for their own sheeple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ROFL at Anonyputzs

You seem to know an awful lot about this....

Re: AC Re: ROFL at Anonyputzs

"You seem to know an awful lot about this...." Plenty of info on LOIC out on the Web.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ROFL at Anonyputzs

"You seem to know an awful lot about this...."

Great - now he's going to get a big head.

Happy

Re: David W. Re: ROFL at Anonyputzs

".....now he's going to get a big head." Gosh, chap, we're not all easily impressed Anons, you know. Takes a bit more than knowing how to do a simple search for stuff on the Web to impress. Oh, sorry, was that an impressive trick for you?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Facepalm

Re: David W. ROFL at Anonyputzs

← This.

14. Charles Calthrop

I looked up Ponit Clare

The suburb contains Point Clare railway station, which is on the Main North railway line,an Aldi supermarket, a pharmacy, a doctor's practice, Chinese and Thai takeaway, veterinarian. In addition, there is a Scouts' and Guides' Hall at Fagans Park.

Wow, in between the excitement of all that and the thrill of avoiding the flesh eating spiders, I am surprised he ever found the time to sit down at a computer at all.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got to love Anon thinking.

"Anonymous Australia says it has no idea who OzShock is"

Well if you did, he wouldn't be that anon would he?

This topic is closed for new posts.