back to article And they're off: Hubble, Herschel race for hot pics of space filly

Orbiting space telescopes Herschel and Hubble have both snapped new infrared images of interstellar spectacle the Horsehead Nebula. Orion B molecular cloud The Herschel far-infrared snap of the Orion B cloud - look closely for the Horsehead The European Space Agency's Herschel Space Observatory captured the famous dark …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alien

Wow

That's gotta make you feel insignificant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: Wow

Yahhhhh HUGE, really, really, really - ultra fucking huge.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    Happy

To me the Orion B cloud looks like a horse's head (a unicorn actually) while the bit that's been zoomed in on looks like..er..nothing much. Anyone else see that?

1. Ru

Have a search for some older pictures of the nebula, taken with less capable cameras and telecopes. The resemblance is a little stronger.

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Happy

so very nice...

... of the universe to provide us with spectacularly beautiful art.

4. proto-robbie
    Pirate

Quite encouraging...

... that we can build machines which don't kill people, but produce great science and beauty instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quite encouraging...

Unfortunately it's not quite so encouraging that the only reason we tend to have machines that produce great science and beauty is as a by-product of us building machines that do kill people

:-|

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the words of Dr Who...

FANTASTIC!

6. BlueGreen

That is so, so beautiful

one downside to living in london, you can barely see the stars. I do miss them. The milky way on a clear, dark night is genuinely, almost intimidatingly awesome.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: That is so, so beautiful

To see the Horse-head nebula you need very dark sites, a big scope, and for preference an H-beta filter. Even with my 8" in the Alps I failed to spot it (did not have the filter though, next winter might be better).

We are lucky to live in a time when we have instruments like Hubble and Herschel to capture such beauty.

7. FozzyBear
    Happy

Da Vinci and Picasso may have produced some great art, but, these pictures are the real art that inspires

8. NomNomNom

how boring.

It's just a waste void. Each direction resembling the last but for subtle differences in configuration and color. Unreachable objects of pointless character. There we have 5 planets orbiting a star, there we have 3 planets orbitting two. One of them is red.

Life is the only worthwhile complexity and yet despite all this space we can see none.

We could have lived in a more interesting universe. A universe where, instead of staring into perpectual void, we were met with tangles of alien plants and animals stretching lightyears in all directions from our world. Infinite ecosystems to explore.

But instead we are hunched around a secluded star with vast pointless space inbetween.

I can only presume this has been done deliberately to annoy me.

1. John 62
      Alien

"I can only presume this has been done deliberately to annoy me."

That's why I upvoted NomNomNom's post :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like