back to article Red Hat renames JBoss application server as WildFly

After tallying the votes in a naming contest that kicked off in October 2012, leading Linux vendor Red Hat has announced that the product formerly known as the JBoss Application Server (AS) will henceforth be known as WildFly. "WildFly represents both a brand refresh for the project and a renewal of its vision to drive the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BigFire
    WTF?

This is not a joke?

April 1 was 21 days ago...

1. SuperNintendoChalmers
      Joke

Re: This is not a joke?

Their April fools was loaded on JBoss 5, it only just finished starting up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

:-(

I was disappointed that my suggestion of SpankMonKey wasn't even on the short-list.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brilliant strategy

Don't change or enhance the product. No; put resources into renaming it, that's bound to attract more customers and make the whole thing appear a lot better.

Guys, this isn't the 90's anymore. JBoss is (was?) a very solid application server, but it could never really beat (for example) Tomcat. And I don't see this helping in any bit. Just check the website yourself: "JBoss has a new name, and it's even @#$%ing faster!".

Each to his own, but hollow marketing like that makes me simply click the close button and forget all about it.

1. gnufreex

Re: Brilliant strategy

This is not a product, they changed the name of commnity project from JBoss AS to WildFly. The acctual products is still called JBoss EAP.

Rename of open source project didn't cost any money, and it helps clear confusion and reserve JBoss brand only for product.

And Tomcat is completely different type of application server, Red Hat also offers Tomcat as JBoss EWS

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Brilliant strategy

> but it could never really beat (for example) Tomcat

I seriously hope you are trolling.

4. teknopaul
    Facepalm

sad day

Stupid idea this one, I tried to vote for renaming from "JBoss AS" to "JBoss", but I was too late.

They are even planning to slowly, over time, and via lots of pointless of bugs rename packages and code to match the new brand. Expect documentation to be wrong for many years to come.

This is as about as good news to the Java community as when Oracle decided to rename 50% of the references to java.sun.com to nowherespecial.oracle.com. N.B. they still have not finished that migration, and probably never will, it seems DTDs will not be changed.

JBoss AS 7 broke way too much stuff, like changing the /deploy/ directory to /deployments/ for no reason other than to break your scripts. This change is just horrible. JBoss team have completely given up on backwards compatibility, this renaming is just a symptom of that trend.

5. Kubla Cant

JBoss currantly** encourages developers to use frameworks other than Java EE, such as Spring, and non-Java languages that run on the JVM, such as Clojure and Scala.

** I assume they must have a good raisin for this.

6. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Another data point

... to support the belief that whatever the advantages of Open Software may be, marketing is not among them.

Really, the jokes nearly write themselves. Ah, yes, the wild fly! Free and agile! Friend of dross and corruption! Annoying! Short-lived!

Not to mention what we might do with some of the other meanings of "fly".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like