back to article Spies catch Acer's Windows 8-incher before it hides

Acer will be the first of Microsoft's hardware partners to release a small-screened tablet running Windows 8, if photos purportedly leaked from the PC maker are any indication. French technology site Minimachines was the first to reveal photos and specs of the sub-sized device, which it claims will have an 8-inch screen and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
  2. Shagbag

Pants.

3. Phoenix50

What's this?

8 inch tablet running full Windows?

I'll take 5.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll take 5

I'll take 5 and install Linux on them... but the principle holds, a dinky general-purpose handheld computer is a win for everyone (assuming no UEFI caltrops).

4. qwarty

screen aspect ratio

Please, please let these new generation of x86 tablets have a screen aspect ratio of 16:10 so as to be useable in portrait mode. Nexus 7 got it right. Come on Acer, Microsoft please no 16:9 ers.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: screen aspect ratio

1280x800 is 16:10.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> it's unknown whether that version will run Windows 8 or Windows RT.

I understood Win8 was x86 and RT was ARM; as the atom is an x86 job it should be full(ish) Win 8.

Which is nice. It should mean the RT's locked secure boot shouldn't be an issue and we can whack some Linux on there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And the full quote referred to rumours of a possible 7" from MS that didn't specify whether it would be Arm or Atom:

>Microsoft itself is reportedly readying a new Surface model with a 7-inch screen, though

>it's unknown whether that version will run Windows 8 or Windows RT.

6. reno79
    Windows

If these new smaller form factor tabs are indeed running Pro instead of RT (or some other heretofore un-announced stripped down version) I may actually consider getting one. Pricing will be interesting to see (only skimmed the article, so didn't check for that)

7. nichomach
    Thumb Up

Looks tempting

That's a 1.8GHz dual-core hyperthreading Atom, so I think performance is probably going to be pretty decent.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like