back to article Yahoo! Axes! Yet! More! Products!

Yahoo! chief Marissa Mayer is taking her scythe to more product lines as she funnels resources into mobile in an attempt to take the beleaguered web giant into more profitable climes. The company will axe its Yahoo! Deals, Yahoo! SMS Alerts, Yahoo! Kids, and the Yahoo! Mail and Messenger feature phone apps, executive platform …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As far as I'm concerned...

As far as I'm concerned, Yahoo can't suffer enough.

1. Mikel

Re: As far as I'm concerned...

Yahoo used to be my domain name provider. I had to find out from an online article they were going to jack my rates 2.5x without warning. I shifted everything over to Bluehost and escaped the fee. They lost my trust.

That was pre-Marissa by a long stretch. I like what I see now and am starting to warm to the idea of a kinder, gentler Yahoo. Broken trust though, it takes a long time to repair. I see them working on it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do they need apps at all? Wouldn't supporting HTML5 be a better and safer bet? With that you don't have to worry about software changes on the device and supports all current mobile phones and tablets.

1. Tom 35

Read the story

It's Feature Phone apps. I don't think I've seen a Feature phone that supports HTML5 (most don't even handle HTML very well).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Read the story

@Tom 35,

I suggest you take you own advice and read the story.

While the story did say this:

"The company will axe its Yahoo! Deals, Yahoo! SMS Alerts, Yahoo! Kids, and the Yahoo! Mail and Messenger feature phone apps, executive platform veep Jay Rossiter wrote in a blogpost."

It also said this:

""We realize that change is hard, but by making tough decisions like these we can focus our energy on building beautiful products for you like the two we introduced this week - Yahoo! Mail for iPad and Android tablets and Yahoo! Weather for iPhone," Rossiter wrote."

So, they are making apps for smartphones that could be covered by a proper HTML5 implementation. The Asha series from Nokia supports HTML5; they are a feature phone.

2. Daniel B.
      Boffin

IM

Instant Messaging is supposed to be instant, and apps are much better than HTML-anything in that regard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: IM

@Daniel B.,

Then explain Google hat which is browser base; Yahoo IM is also included in Yahoo Mail when using a browser, you have Microsoft doing the same with Outlook/Hotmail in that it has what was MSN Messenger in the browser. Even with HTML it is near instantaneous as it does go to a back end server so that your conversation history is saved. So using HTML is not any slower; it uses TCP/IP. If you really want to get technical; most of the "client" IM programs are already running over TCP/80 and some of which are purely HTML based.

3. csumpi
      Devil

"Why do they need apps at all? Wouldn't supporting HTML5 be a better and safer bet?"

You must be saying this because you have never developed HTML5. It's a complete utter mess. You have to support a multitude of browsers, mobile phones, with all different flavors.

It's much cheaper to make an ios and android app.

BTW, fecesbook went the html way. It was a complete disaster.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@csumpi,

How about the other reason is that you have smart phones and feature phones. There is also more than just Android and iOS out there as well. If you create an HTML5 moble site, you cover all smart phones and feature phones. You also don't have to worry about "updating" an app as all you do is update the site. Since the type of apps require Internet connectivity anyway, little reason not to use HTML5.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The difference between Google and Yahoo!

Some people have actually heard of the services Google occasionally shut down.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: The difference between Google and Yahoo!

I actually had to Google "yahoo kids" and "yahoo sms" to find out what they were...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo Groups

Yahoo Groups seems to work well with either web page or email/digest interfaces. Moderated closed groups via the web page have a decent archive search - and a threading display.

Facebook "secret" groups don't give the same technical or ethical reassurance.

5. Matt Bucknall

This is getting painful to watch now...

Will someone please just take a brick and put Yahoo out of its misery?

6. Paul Crawford Silver badge

IM death

Thought I would fire up Pidgin and see who was on-line for IM. Nothing. Nobody I knew on Yahoo or on MSN seen for at least a year.

Maybe others still use it, but it seems everyone I know has gone for FB messaging (a nauseating decision).

7. zen1

Damn it people

We need to cut until we're profitable, so the board can award us bonuses with money we really don't have. But seriously, she seems to be throwing shit at the wall and hoping some of it sticks. @ Matt Bucknall: I agree. While I didn't really care for a lot of Yahoo's offerings, there were a couple I used. But after watching the utter cluelessness of the current officers, why not just liquidate the remaining assets of the corporation and give it back to the share holder(s), assuming there are any left.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo is better off selling off those not to popular/not so producing products to someone else that can benefit/refine them into gold. Yahoo has always seemed to give up instead of fight for market share and throw away things than reap some profit out of it. These products that will be gone is not for me to cry about, it's about the loss of jobs that now these professionals will go elsewhere and perhaps will create the same wheel under the name of a new company.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't see Yahoo ever returning to Glory...

..Just too much bungee-cord management over too many years. They are the Excite that survived by being on life-support all this time. Its a bad thing too as no competition to GooGhoul is really bad for us...

10. csumpi
    Go

Yahoo! Groups!

Please also get rid Yahoo! Groups!, the worst ever discussion platform. The world will be a much better place without it.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Yahoo! Groups!

I use Yahoo Groups. The interface sucks and sadly, nobody has worked on it in ages.

I can see deleting the "Kids" stuff. It's not really a demographic with much money to spend.

Rather than just taking a chain saw to everything in sight, Y! should try to come up with a package of apps that compliment each other and aren't just clones of everybody else's junk. How many IM services are needed?

When Google consolidated their privacy policies and really started selling user data in a much larger way, I signed off of everything but my mail account and I am slowing migrating everybody who contacts me via that channel to other addresses I use. Competition is essential and Yahoo is pretty much the only balance to Google. I don't count M$ as they don't seem to stay in market segments very long and that makes it hard to rely on them for online services.

I'm an old fashioned guy and I don't use my WEB browser for mail, word processing, PIM and calendar duties. I find online offerings bland and lacking in the features that are important to me. I have also had several occasions where I was able to pull information out of my email program (certainly not Outlook) while not online to get an important phone number. If I would have had to find a Hot Spot to logon for the information, I would have been late for an important meeting and another time I would have missed a flight. I do back things up online to my own servers just in case, but what does Amazon care if I am inconvenienced by a cloud service outage? The answer is a resounding "not at all" and there is no way I can throw money at the problem to get it resolved, which is my acid test for outside services.

1. This Side Up

"I use Yahoo Groups. The interface sucks and sadly, nobody has worked on it in ages."

That's why it's stable. They don't keep tampering with it every few weeks like farcebook. I'm on a number of groups and they work well as mailing lists. I don't use the web site much except to look for archived posts.

2. Richie 1

> have also had several occasions where I was able to pull information out of my email program (certainly not Outlook) while not online to get an important phone number.

Um, sync your webmail contacts with your phone so you have a local copy.

11. pewpie
    Devil

Ah, Irony.. hello there - come on in..

"We want to bring you experiences that inspire and entertain you every day."

You already are - keep up with the delusional phased shutdown.

12. Homer 1
    IT Angle

Ya who?

See title.

13. heyrick Silver badge

Why oh why...

Yahoo Mail (online) would be much more tolerable for me if it worked correctly on a netbook display instead of stuff going off the bottom of the screen (the older version works just fine). It is kinda like how the latest incarnation of YouTube no longer fits a 1024px display. All this clever scripting and they can't do something as simple as make the content fit the screen.

14. ad47uk
    Thumb Down

know new email service for me

I noticed that Yahoo is getting rid of their classic email service,which for me is good bye to Yahoo. i don't use their email service that much these days anyway, so not much of a problem.

Classic email don't get spied on like the new mail service, which they now use to track keywords and throw adverts with those keywords back at us.

I have already started to move the couple of auto emails to GMX or even my own domain.

1. Ed_UK

Re: know new email service for me

"I noticed that Yahoo is getting rid of their classic email service"

Oh no - that's terrible. Won't somebody think of the Nigerians? The '419' business will collapse if they can't use their @yahoo.com dropboxes any more.

15. Tank boy
    Alert

Titanic

They're just rearranging the deck chairs at this point. The band will keep playing to keep people calm, but it's going to sink.

16. WatAWorld

I think it would be simpler to list what will be left of Yahoo

So what will be left of Yahoo?

It sounds to me as if they're annihilating their existing businesses.

Like Google getting rid of iGoogle, but multiplied by 30.

17. Serge 2

This is what happens when...

You overestimate ones abilities Marisa is a joke, a PR stunt by Yahoo! to show how different and cool they are. Unfortunately for them her abilities are very limited. She has turned Yahoo in to bread and circus according to my friend who has worked there for some years now and have seen a few ceo's. There is a good word for people like her: a lucky chancer, was at the right place at the right time and perhaps complained enough to be pushed up Google ladder and then left. Perfecr example that investors have no bloody idea. I can not wait to see her fail.

18. Notwork

I stumbled across Yahoo a few weeks ago, I thought it have died a death years ago, you'll be telling me AOL is still going next!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like