back to article Chinese state tightwads help strangle Asia-Pacific PC sales in 2013

Asia-Pacific has well and truly succumbed to the global economic malaise, with the region’s PC market declining 13 per cent year-on-year in the last quarter – its first ever double digit drop, according to IDC. Not even the launch of Windows 8 in China in October and more Intel-powered ultrabooks could stop PC sales sliding to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 35

Just remove a few extra words...

the launch of Windows 8 in China in October and more Intel-powered ultrabooks could stop PC sales

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the value proposition of ultrabooks...

Is that supposed to mean there is a value proposition?

Sorry to be nasty, but ultrabooks shout "I want to be cool like a Mac owner, but I'm too dim to make it up the OSX learning curve".

(disclaimer: I am *not* an Apple iThing owner but *can* see the value proposition in their products - just not for me)

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

"still really don’t know the value proposition of ultrabooks"

I kind of agree with the AC above, really what is the 'value' of an ultrabook to justify such a high price? Let me see:

Screen resolution better than 1080? Nope, in fact often not better then 768 lines.

Is much cheaper than a "look at me, I'm cool" Mac? Nope

User replaceable batteries, etc, compared to a Mac? Nope

Battery life better than an iPad? Nope

Has useful connectors like RJ45 Ethernet unlike a Mac that has lost them? Nope

Runs software much better than a typical £400 laptop? Not sure, but probably not twice as good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: "still really don’t know the value proposition of ultrabooks"

I can't identify a value proposition here either, and I include everyone save the cheap end of the Android market (Nexus 7/10/whatever). Too damned easy to break, not much performance, and cost way too much. A laptop is a far better deal and can survive better. I could set up a cottage industry in this town fixing tablets, if I could get the parts.

If I could justify the expense I'd drop $1K, or so, on real VDI and just use throwaway tablets. Just need the server video card; I have the rest. It'd be even cooler to have it for the home, but that's blue-sky country. For now.

2. Mike 29

Re: "still really don’t know the value proposition of ultrabooks"

The Samsung Ultrabooks I've seen have RJ45 built in.

The difference between the $400 laptop and the ultrabook is weight, not speed really... but yeah, UK is being robbed blind on prices. (a £400 here *is* an ultrabook)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like