back to article Java 8 release date slips again, now planned for 2014

Oracle has redoubled its efforts to address the recent spate of vulnerabilities related to Java running in web browsers, but the renewed focus on security has had an unfortunate side effect – namely, that Java 8 will no longer ship by its planned September 2013 release date. According to Mark Reinhold, chief architect for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aitor 1

How about

Reimplementing string memory (ab)use and primitives, for example?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How about

"recent spate of vulnerabilities related to Java"

Is ever since launch considered 'recent' then?

2. stephajn

A struggling platform

It feels so much like Microsoft and getting people to develop for their Windows Phone / 8 platform. Plagued with so many problems that by the time they can get anything out people may not be all that interested or start thinking their strategy through and wonder if they should switch to something a bit more promising or less unsure as to its future.

The question that arises at this point though is this: What platform is that?

1. xpusostomos

Re: A struggling platform

It's not anything like Windows 8. Win 8 being a consumer platform (primarily), time to market is critical to get consumers interested. Java 8 holds nothing interesting for consumers. It's interesting for developers, who are hardly going to jump ship to something else because of a delay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A struggling platform

Not to mention that Windows 8 and Windows Phone are far more secure than anything Oracle produces...

3. Ru
    Headmaster

"Project Lambda, an effort to add Lisp-like code structures to the Java syntax"

Alonzo Church rather predated the creation of LISP, and I believe he coined the term 'lambda expression'

My compsci history is a little fuzzy, but I think that lexical closures popped up in the 70s, a little while after the creation of LISP, and I believe they were first implemented in some (admittedly obscure) languages first.

4. GeezaGaz
    Thumb Down

Who cares anyway?

Lets just forget the write once run nowhere, slow, bloated behomoth that is Java.

Its all webby these days, thats whats all the rage. JQuery and its ilk, build responsive websites that are truly cross platform with zero deployment.

Da Geeza

1. AnthraX
      FAIL

Re: Who cares anyway?

You have no clue about enterprise development, or software development in general, do you?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like