back to article HP out and proud with 8-socket server beast

HP has jumped back into the beefy 8-socket x86 server game with the new ProLiant DL785 G5. The system will initially run on quad-core Opteron chips from AMD. HP pitches the server as a database and virtualization darling, since it offers a ton of horsepower along with vast amounts of memory. HP's willingness to produce an 8- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe HP think 8 sockets will become even more important when...

...Intel stop making plans for the next generation of Itanium (which surely can't be far off, unless Common System Interconnect miraculously brings a last gasp life extension to Itanium).

High end VMS and HPUX customers are accustomed to lots of CPUs and an OS and apps that can make sensible use of them (not like WIndows or even Linux). They're also used to paying lots of money which the non-consumer bits of HP (and in particular HP Services) might like to keep, rather than hand it to IBM or even to Sun (tricky task, that "retain trust" thing already upset Alpha customers bigtime once...).

High end Proliant probably does most of what most VMS customers will need, HP Nonstop (ex Tandem) covers some of the rest if they don't mind rewriting the apps (check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCHpUtJnEI for resilient and even disaster tolerant setups including all their usual OSes).

The remaining VMS OS and app porting folks must be getting good at porting now (VAX to Alpha to Itanium, and presumably soon AMD64).

HP-UX folks have a minor problem with byte ordering to solve, might not be quite so easy, but Unix has always managed it before, one way or the other.

2. Mike Tubby

Rather tubby? Not!

It might be "rather big", "rather heavy" or "rather fast", but it aint me!

Mike Tubby

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

256GB of RAM, WOW!!

256 Gigabytes of RAM with 8GB DIMMS, WOW!!! ....I can't even begin to imagine how that would cost!!

5. Rich
    Thumb Up

Just what I need to run Ableton

(music performance software)

Pity it's 32-bit only, but the next release should give me what I need. Now I just have to find USD17k.

I'm thinking my 450W power monitors will drown out the sound of the fans, especially when making gabba.

6. Sebastian
    IT Angle

@AC

It's 256GB with 4GB DIMMs and 512GB with 8GB DIMMs.

There are already servers out that can carry more than that.

7. Tony

HP - how pathetic

We too had a number of HP servers, laptops and of course printers. But thanks to the rather poor service from them and their re-sellers, we are also moving away as fast as possible.

45 minutes on the phone to their support desk - 30 minutes of which were being passed between departments, each time having to give name, address, product and serial number etc. 10 months on, and the problem still remains unsolved but they keep closing the support ticket as they don't allow it to remain open. They want us to keep opening a new ticket for the same problem to make their completion stats look better.

We've bought some boxes from Dell that are a slightly lower spec, draw less power and create less heat, but actually perform much better and are quieter. Their support used to be quite poor, but I have to say that they have made enormous efforts to improve and it shows.

To my mind, HP are now doing what IBM did back in the 80s - trading purely on the name. They need to seriously look at what the customer wants, not what they want to sell to the customer.

8. paul brain

at last .. something to run Vista on.

Finally, the hardware industry has started to build basic infrastructure that will run Vista as it was intended.

32x cores of CPU , 256GB RAM

But will it run Aero ???

Maybe HP are gearing up for Server 2008 which is 'based' on Vista code....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

For those interested in Alpha here

Still shipping for the next few years ;-)

http://www.multisgroup.com/News_Item.asp?News_ID=47

10. Geoff Mitchell
    Stop

There's no Market for this box

Intel's moving to 6 cores.

With 4 core technology, that's already 6 X 4 = 24 cores of processing power, before you bring in technologies such as Oracle RAC etc for intelligent clustering and load balancing.

I've come across dozens of customers in the last few years who claim to have a need for 8-ways and invariably it's just ill-informed server techs who want the prowess of a big box to play with [there ar exceptions but ver very few]. We all know that CPU technology does not scale linearly beyond 4 sockets and this is why HP and Dell pulled out of this market in the first place.

I have a feeling that HP has not done its homework on this as if anything, the game has changed even more with virtualization technologies such as VMWare and Xen.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

"CPU technology does not scale linearly beyond 4 sockets "

It doesn't scale if you're Intel, and doesn't scale if you're Microsoft. Others have been more successful, but as you rightly point out, the number of situations which really benefit isn't particularly large. Now folks in those relatively uncommon situations have another option, which must be good for most folks (except Unisys and any other niche vendor who's previously been trying to flog high-socket-count systems).

12. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE AC and Mark Mulvaney

RE: AC - "Maybe HP think 8 sockets will become even more important when Intel stop making plans for the next generation of Itanium...." <Yawn> Did someone rattle the nutcage again? You mention Nonstop as replacing Itanium servers, which shows your complete lack of knowledge, as Nonstop is an Itanium platform.... D'uh!

"....to Sun (tricky task, that "retain trust" thing already upset Alpha customers bigtime once...)...." Oh, and all those Sun flip-flops on their schizophrenic roadmaps make them look so reliable ("we hate Linux <flip> we love Linux just look at my penguin suit <flop> we don't have a Linux strategy period <flip> we love Red Hat <flop> give Red Hat the boot <flip> Solaris on SPARC <flop> Solaris on x86 <flip> Windows on x86 <flop> Solaris on T1/T2 <flip> don't buy APL, wait for Rock <flop> buy APL with FSC's SPARC64 whilst we struggle with Rock <flop, flop, flop>"). Check the IDC figures, HP has retained the Alpha customers, they have grown the Itanium bizz, and SPARC is shrinking and dying. Customers appreciate the steady and reliable strategy of HP, which is why they sold eight times as many servers in Q4 2007 as Sun. Double d'uh!

RE: Mark Mulvaney - HP didn't promise anything, if you check all vendors put lots of lovely disclaimers on their roadmaps, including King of the Flip-Flops Sun. If you are too stupid to read the small print then it's no surprise you're now running Slowaris. HP instead looked at the work AdvFS would entail compared to the benefits, then checked with market-leading file-system provider Veritas and decided Veritas had the better product with the better development potential, and it was already ready for hp-ux. And, of course, there's no nasty intellectual property disputes with Veritas/Symantec, unlike with Sun whom (IMHO) half-inched ZFS from NetApp.

"....Also they should have ported HP-UX to x86-64..." Unlike Sun, HP realised that porting their commercial UNIX would put them in conflict with the rising tide of Linux. HP is now the leading server vendor for Linux by a massive amount, making piles more money than the tiddly amount Sun makes with Slowaris x86. What HP did do was carefully port tools like ServiceGuard to Linux, to enhance the Linux experience, rather than being stubbornly stupid and trying too defeat Linux like Sun failed to do. The result is that HP is a respected figure in the Linux community and in the businessplace, whereas Sun is viewed by the Linux community as a smaller M$, and in the businessplace Sun is viewed with distrust given their inability to deliver such monumentally hyped flops as UltraSPARC V and their indecision on Linux and Windows. Please borrow a "d'uh" from AC seeing as you seem to like using other people's work.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

How Many HP Engineers Does it Take To Screw In A Light Bulb...

Ok...this might be the dumbest thing I've heard come out of HP (and there have been plenty). With the company doing so well right now, why open up the doors for Dell to make a fool out of you with the best performance per watt and plethora of clustering technology?

-256GB's of RAM exist today

-6 cores are coming soon

-Good clustering technology exists

-Green IT is the NUMBER 1 CIO priority...this box will not be green at all.

Buy Dell stock now!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like