Ding! Dong! —the witch is dead!

This topic was created by m a d r a .

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Ding! Dong! —the witch is dead!

The continuous popping sound you can hear is the millions of champagne corks, sent aloft by those who lived through her reich.

May you rot in Hell, ma'am!

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Ding! Dong! —the witch is dead!

Tasteful...

Still, I don't doubt there are plenty of people celebrating. However there are plenty of others who lived through her premiership, and the 70s before it, that think she got more right than she got wrong.

It would be a more adult reaction to consider that people can disagree with each other without either's motivation necessarily being bad. It's not as if the 1970s were a great period of social harmony and delight, suddenly destroyed by an evil, cackling Thatcher as soon as she got into power. Still, you're welcome to your opinion - and I'm sure you're not alone. So far Labour have mostly been keeping quiet, even Alex Salmond has, but Gerry Adams and Ken Livingstone agree with you.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I noticed that also linked from the BBC front page is a story about the Chinese taking all our baby milk. Someone's got to do it.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

I guess that counts as a excellently timed tribute...

Although I have to say that I really didn't like my school milk. I was never a massive fan of drinking milk on its own anyway, and even less so after it had been sitting in a classroom for ages and gone warm. The only good bit was poking the straw through the silver foil on the top.

1. LinkOfHyrule

hehe I remember that too but I assume i'm remembering from the time when the older kids had already had their milk snatched as this was at nursery - they had these ickle cute toddler sized glass milk bottles and you'd plonk a blue plastic straw through the cap.

I remember the girls at school would sign in the playground "Margaret Thatcher, throw her up and catch her"!

Apparently though, she can't be turned! So I guess you had to be careful!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Were the girls at school all deaf? *confused*

1. LinkOfHyrule

Na, just dumb

3. SiempreTuna

Not quite sure I would call destroying the entire industrial base in order to beat the unions 'right' exactly ..

In the 70s we at least had the real economy plus the 'invisible' economy (basically the city gamblers). The Thatcher legacy is that we now have an 'economy' that's equal parts city gamblers and property-related Ponsey scheme.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

By "industrial base" I'm assuming you mean:

- The car factories which were making crappy cars no one wanted to buy?

- The motorcycle factories which were making great bikes which cost more than most people wanted to pay for a bike?

- The ship building industry in which it was so expensive to build ships that no one was ordering any from them, preferring ordering from companies elsewhere in the world who a) delivered on time (due to not having constant strikes), b) delivered in budget c) weren't charging as much as British ship building companies were charging for the same basic product.

- The coal industry which was only being kept afloat by every non coal miner in a country being taxed to subsidise it.

- The steel manufacturing industry, also being kept afloat by every non steel worker in the country.

Did I miss any? Were there any more viable (in a communism kind of way) industries which she killed?

4. Daniel B.

Some of the hate she gets

... also comes from outside the UK. Namely, a lot of Chileans who are pissed that Maggie supported a bloody tyrant called Pinochet.

A lot of the stuff that people currently hate about NuLabour is actually a product of Thatcherism permeating the Labour Party. Yes, she may have fixed things that were wrong with the UK, but some of the bad stuff will linger for quite some time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon