back to article UK's first copyright swap-shop for cat pics (etc) still yonks away

The UK's Copyright Hub, designed for high-volume legit trading of copyrighted material, will launch in July. Ultimately the service will allow individual Brits to, for example, easily license music to use in wedding videos, cat photos for calendars or illustrations for books. But not just yet. Its chairman Richard Hooper …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

BBC

I stopped sending any pictures to the BBC. What is the point of adding copyright information to the EXIF data if they just strip it out?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BBC

What's your thinking, here? Do you want to share your photos of something newsworthy or not? Do you really think they're worth something after the news has gone stale?

Not trolling, genuinely interested. If I captured some interesting moment and shared it to the world, a simple credit would do, and life's too short to worry about copyright once it's Out There.

If I had managed an absolutely historic shot somehow, I'd be negotiating the rights properly rather than just sending it in free.

1. Graham Marsden

@AC Re: BBC

"I'd be negotiating the rights properly rather than just sending it in free."

The problem is that most people don't realise that, by sending stuff into the BBC, they're effectively giving it to them for free in perpetuity, let alone have any idea *how* to negotiate the rights properly.

Of course it's not in the BBC's interests to tell them about this...

2. Raumkraut

> If I had managed an absolutely historic shot somehow, I'd be negotiating the rights properly rather than just sending it in free.

By definition, nobody knows if an image will be a "historic shot" or not until many years after the image has been taken.

Would you be happy if a photo, which you had sent to the BBC for free, got included in a top-selling compilation book, with the note "copyright BBC" or "public domain"? Or would you be demanding recognition and remuneration?

3. James Micallef Silver badge
        Facepalm

" If I captured some interesting moment and shared it to the world, a simple credit would do"

Yes, but right now you wouldn't get that at all, because they not only strip out the metadata, but they also do not attribute sent-in photos

2. Flywheel
    FAIL

"Q.Will licensors have to pay to sell their work through the Hub?

We are still exploring various mechanisms for financing the on-going operations of the Hub"

So that'll be a yes then. Why waste an opportunity to make money from both the licensor and the customer? After all, storage is sooo expensive these days..

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

provided a "diligent search" is made

Presumably, through the Hub... fancy that.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Toldyaso!

We've told the government this time and again... yet their response was:

LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!

With the obligatory fingers in the ears, of course.

*sigh*

5. Tom 260

ISBN...?

It's more like stripping the first few title/copyright/printing info pages and both covers from the book than just the ISBN number... all you're left with is the content, which can only be recognised by the creator and those who've seen it before.

6. Forget It
    Stop

Question

Is it a reflection of their retro-thinking that the huge light bulb they show on

all their webp-pages is of the OLD TYPE before the world changed to be

Eco-friendly?

7. Mike Green

The Waco Fertilizer Explosion

There's a video on YouTube which a guy filmed from his car which shows the explosion, and has appeared on all the news in Oz. I wonder how much he's getting, if anything, and how much he would have got 20 years ago when he would have been the sole possessor.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like