back to article California Highway Patrol rounds up queens, workers

The California Highway Patrol drafted in apiarists and Romanians this weekend after a truckload of beehives toppled on Highway 99, leaving 440 colonies strewn across the freeway. The commuting workers, and their queens, were set loose when the truck flipped over on the on-ramp to the highway heading north, toppling the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim
    Coat

May I bee the first to say

Well done on that headline, it'll create quite a buzz I'm sure. The Reg editorial office is clearly a hive of activity today.

IGM heavy canvas & mesh coat, hat, veil, gloves and smoke machine.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

oh noes

not buzz-iness as usual then...

mines the yellow and black one :D

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Best Headline Ever

Brilliant. Made my afternoon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to say it...

...un-bee-lievable!

5. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: May I bee the first to say

I would like it to be known that I had no part in this whatsoever.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Christoph

This was obviously

... a covert FBI sting operation

8. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Coat

No, stop, I can't take any more

Obviously both the crash and the decline in Bee numbers is the work of Beelzebub!

I'm also amazed that nobody has managed a "2B or not 2B" comment yet.

Now Bee off with you all!

The bike jacket and my lid please ;-)

9. John

From Bees to Sheep

I am reminded of returning home late one night to find that a truck loaded with sheep had overturned on the M61/A580 junction in Manchester. While feeling very sorry for the poor sheep, the sight of some 30 + policemen - some wearing wellies - chasing terrified sheep all over the motorway and surrounding fields was priceless.

Where is the videocam when you need it.

10. Sam

When I first read it..

"rounds up queens"...well, it is California.....

11. Spleen

@punnists

Oh beehive. All these puns really are a-pollen, it's time to comb to your senses.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@john,

reminds me of when a sales girl phoned saying she'll be late because she was stuck behind a lorry load of blood which had popped on the m6

when she did arrive everybody popped down to take a look at the car, it looked like an extra from death race, theres only so much squirty wipers can manage

not sure if it was black pudding related or not

13. Nick Drew

High farce...

"The paper said it had trouble getting more information about the pile-up, as the onsite CHP spokesman was attacked by a bee in his car"

You couldn't make it up...

14. Lars
    Thumb Up

quit your droning

... you swarms of punning commentors ...

15. Rob
    Coat

Reminds me of the time....

A lorry load of onions overturned on the A1(M).

Police advised motorists to pull over and find a hard shoulder to cry on.

It's the one that looks just like Ronnie Corbett's - or was it Jasper Carrot?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@By Sam

wrong part of California. No body lives there except for the poor folks that have no choice.

Yes the one with sequence and feathers is mine. Dont forget my Elton john CD

17. Bruce H Woodfield
    Go

Those commentaters

- with nothing sensible to say should bee like the truck and hive off.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

brushing up on thier B-rated excuses

yeah right... like any goverment will ever bother to spend money on research when they already have it(in secret reports),

They simply dont want to let the (bee!) out of the bag, that thier gazzilions of $$$ they get in back handers from the Mobile industry is the cause of all the insects making a bee-line to the coast to escape the death rays from all those masts.

They will never spend money, so long as they can inport bees from Australia, so when they too start suffering CCD there, then all hell will really break lose.

black helicopter cos its a Government conspiricy (you really need a evil-bushy icon)

mines the silver suit with the funny hat...

19. Dave
    Unhappy

Bad Spills

Trust me, there are much worse things that can be spilled on a highway than a few workers and queens. Ever see a truckload of animal parts, on the way to a rendering plant, spill? Eww!

Dave

P.S. I'll get my coat. It's the pigskin one.

20. Jon Tocker

440 colonies?

Shit, it was exciting enough when I was a teen and merely one colony (on the move of its own volition) decided to take a rest in the midst of our school. 440 colonies worth of bees (minus a relative few that didn't survive the crash) would look bloody impressive.

Good that they worked to safely remove them - our stupid Principal got someone in to kill the colony at our school (rather than waiting for it to move on by itself or getting an apiarist to come and capture the queen) because it was "a risk to students' lives" (and spraying cyanide powder over the swarm was not?)

21. Larry Adams
    Paris Hilton

@ Anonymous Coward

I suppose we can be glad they weren't Africanized killer bees...one sting is never enough for those bad boys...

Paris because she's busy as a little bee can be...

22. Edward Noad
    Alert

Do bees in transit...

...have a hazchem symbol?

Mines the coat with the veil & hood

23. Ste Mansfield
    Happy

shed your load

For a minute I thought this was a horrifying story of how amy winehouse loses her entire wig collection :)

24. Slaine
    Joke

I'm surprised no-one added...

...that police are combing the area.

Tadaaaaaaa !!! thank you, thank you.

25. Gianni Straniero
    Coat

Where's the IT angle?

Please refile the article in the Bee2Bee section.

26. kain preacher

I stand corrected

THe spill happened in Sacramento. A few queens there in fact there is a whole strip for them.

Yes the cher CD's are mine

27. John Ervin
    Pirate

To bee, To Sheep, To Turkey

I can imagine a truck load of bees overturning. But here in Virginia we have transport trucks with Chickens, and Turkeys. Nothing is worse than following a Chicken or Turkey semi - truck in 90 degree heat in the summer time.

Feathers flying everywhere (these are wiremesh cages - trucks have no sides, tops or bottoms). Bird shit dropping on the windshield. The smell alone is enough to want to vomit even when inside the car.

Last year alone, I had to wash Turkey shit off the car (a white wagon) at least three times- due to extensive travel in the Western half of Virginia on I-81, and I64.

Now imagine 1000+ turkeys on a farm near the highway, in 90 degree heat in the summer time - we have that here in Virginia also.

I think I would prefer the bees any day. Even when I got stung 6 times last year by Hornets that were almost 2 inches in size.

This topic is closed for new posts.