back to article DataDirect in job slash bloodbath

Times are tough. HPC and big data storage array supplier DataDirect Networks has laid off 65 people, decimating its workforce, after six months of lousy sales. This news is not yet public. The lay-offs follow a poor final 2012 quarter. We asked DDN about this, about morale problems, and also if there were product-quality …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Hawkes
    Headmaster

Marketing VP?

Does the marketing VP get paid by the word? The response is so padded with unnecessary words, it makes me think he (or the company) is dishonest to some extent.

"In order to continue to maintain solid double digit growth..." "To continue to maintain," is a bit redundant. "Solid," is solid word count padding worthy of a college freshman. "In order," isn't necessary. "To continue double digit growth..." means the same thing, but exhibits brevity.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Marketing VP?

He's a VP of Marketing. Excess twaddle is what they're paid for.

2. N13L5
      Pint

Re: Marketing VP?

Its how they teach you to word things in B-school:

Just stilted enough to make optimism sound like already achieved facts.

He's matching every press release ever written, pretty much.

He missed a duplicate word left over from excessive editing though -1 :)

2. JB

Double-digit growth?

Look, I realise businesses need to grow, but can any business honestly expect continued double-digit growth i this economy? Just wonderin'.

1. N13L5
      Big Brother

Re: Double-digit growth?

Should they ever expect to continually grow?

Nope That's what's wrong with the economy.

Just take a 'mere' 10% annual growth as an example... Adding 10% every year results in a logarithmic curve reaching the vertical after a number of years. Even 10% is an impossible expectation.

Interest based debt-money is the driver of this unsustainable growth trap. We need a different monetary system to fix the needless boom and bust cycles.

But since there's some very powerful people profiting from this debt-money scheme beyond your wildest dreams, that's not going to happen without some cataclysmic event.

Nobody ever changed the monetary system in a history littered with failed FIAT currencies. Not because its not possible (see Austrian currency systems examples) But because there are certain people with a very strong interest to keep it the way it is, because they are getting stinking filthy rich off everybody else's hard work with their "legal" ponzi scheme - and they get to exert control over everything.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The point surely..

In tough times, like most of the world has just been through, you re-evaluate your business and run a broom through it. It's an important process and worth seeing through.

Sounds like those plans and a healthy Q1 pipeline are simply telling the story of the economic struggles we've just had, and the fact that it seems we're all starting to turn the corner now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Pipeline

isn't sales and the only thing that counts is sales and revenue. A pipeline never lives up to its potential, especially in a market that is heating up with competitors like storage. They looked at sales and revenue and went "Holy Sh*t" and decided to jettison some staff to stop the outflow and call it hygiene. I wonder if the culled people feel more like clipped toenails or washed crotches?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd imagine that all the recent HP exec hires have drained off a bit of their recent cash while adding little to the bottom line. Then when things slow down a bit . . . its layoff time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like