back to article Under the microscope: The bug that caught PayPal with its pants down

Security researchers have published a more complete rundown of a recently patched SQL injection flaw on PayPal's website. The Vulnerability Laboratory research team received a $3,000 reward after discovering a remote SQL injection web vulnerability in the official PayPal GP+ Web Application Service. The critical flaw, which …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John H Woods Silver badge

Oh FFS

Sanitize your fracking inputs! When will companies realise that coders with a clue cost money?

1. Rob Carriere

Re: Oh FFS

It's a lot worse than that. On a system the size of PayPal's (or even on a system a tenth that size, for that matter), there should be a framework in place that does this stuff for you, will ye or nil ye. The art of programming in the large is making sure that is easier to do things right than to do them wrong.

So either somebody broke out of the framework and this wasn't picked up in QA or there isn't an adequate framework. Either way, they have a structural problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh FFS

Coders with a clue cost money.

Coders without a clue cost money, but in different ways.

Unfortunately The Management prefer to take a risk on the the less immediate costs and gamble with it.

2. Crisp
    Trollface

A sanitised input? What's that?

At least El Reg sanitises its commentards'";GO;DROP TABLE Students;GO;

1. theblackhand
      Devil

Re: A sanitised input? What's that?

Are you sure'";GO;DROP TABLE AdBait;GO;

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: A sanitised input? What's that?

Bobby? Is that you?

3. Cliff

$3000

What an insulting amount! What would it have cost for a security consultancy to have found that? Three grand US wouldn't pay for the first days consulting where the coffee and biscuits would be hit hard in the meeting room.

I know the result isn't a labour for money, but a bit of proportionality would seem appropriate.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: $3000

While I do agree that the sum isn't really commensurate this kind of research shouldn't be done for the money. The kind of research that is done for big bucks is the stuff that you generally don't hear a lot about. The Economist recently ran an interesting article about the sort of professional services that companies are willing to pay handsomely for.

The error is reprehensible for, as has been noted, allowing both SQL injection and excessive permissions. The spirit of openness and at least some kind of peer review should, however, be welcomed. If companies think that this can replace paying for proper reviews then they are likely to learn the hard way.

2. Beau
      Holmes

If like me, you have had to deal with 'PayPal', you would be totally amazed at that payment.

Totally amazed that is, that they handed over even $3, never mind $3000.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Granted but they didn't have to do the research and they didn't have to hand over the results, they could have sold it on the "black market' for 10 times that. If I was running a company and managed to find someone willing to do a job almost purely for the love of it just to recieve a token payment , I'd do it too! I look good being charitable and open about my fuck-ups and it only cost a fraction of what it would have cost to have it done by industry pros.

"One born every minute!" springs to mind but also with a healthy dose of "You get what you pay for!" too.

4. Tom 7

And paypal will charge them 5% for the transfer!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree it isn't much but I bet folks @ Vulnerability Laboratory are pretty darn happy with the publicity.

"Ah, you may have heard of us, we found the SQL vuln in Paypal some time back. Sign here please".

Second, Paypal (whom I loathe) should be praised for engaging into this process which has the potential to make them look stupid but an even bigger potential to fix actual problems. And if they can limit their costs to $3000, <10 hours worth of Accenture, ahem, experts' security Powerpoints, then great.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PayPal's gratitude is exceeded only by its greed.

4. xyz Silver badge

Pants down, pants down!??!

FFS...not only pants down but greased up and ready for a right good shafting. They're not describing a flaw, they're describing a ****ing great hole that you could herd elephants through. Data access to their entire database must have been built by an intern during his summer holidays or something.

5. Andrew Moore
    Alert

Hmmmm....

I wonder if this is why AT&T appear to have blocked traffic to/from PayPal???

6. Dennis
    WTF?

What about the testing ?

PayPal must have had their system independently tested.

So who were the incompetent penetration testers who missed this flaw. It's easy ... time consuming, but easy. Put strange values into every field and watch for unusual responses.

1. silent_count

Re: What about the testing ?

PayPal must have had their system independently tested.

Why would they do that? These waste-of-time exercises cost money, don'cher know.

1. Blane Bramble
        Meh

Having dealt with a few penetration testing companies on behalf of some of our customers, they seem to largely rely on using the same OS tools that anyone else would use and provide a report that is simply the unfiltered output, including such gems as proposing an ssh server is insecure because it reports its version (hint: this is required for interoperation between servers and clients).

2. nuked

"So who were the incompetent penetration testers who missed this flaw"

I don't know, but I think they're still sipping Champagne of their yaughts achored off the coast of Monaco.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

So who were the incompetent penetration testers who missed this flaw.

Who briefed the testers on what to test for? You do realise that in a great many countries the kind of software that you need to carry out penetration testing is considered and you may need waivers not just from the customer but also the software developers, the data centre operators, and maybe even special dispensation from the local law enforcement, etc. Even if you do get those permissions testing takes time and it is axiomatic in software development that no one ever allows enough time for testing.

Add to that the current paradigm of growing as quickly as possible with whatever works, depending on keeping your best programmers sweet until you IPO after which point, you want to replace them with cheaper ones who are expected to manage, maintain and extend largely undocumented and untested (see above) code.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

" ... time consuming, but easy. "

Err, don't these guys use some kind of script driven bot to just hammer the site with stupid s**t and see if any of it crashes?

I mean if it's your day job you'd streamline it, right?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Eradicate all BB entrants

This should have been spotted sooner .......

.....under PCIDSS scanning, you know, the requirement to make your systems rock solid against loss of customer card data. Or is it that because they are a psuedo bank they, like the normal banks, don't have to carry out these scans on their own systems?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This should have been spotted sooner .......

Posting anon, well, just because.

It could be that the address or URL wasn't provided to the tester. Which I see as a failing of the testing org. They shouldn't take their client's word for anything, but that makes it cost more because they have to use ARIN (or APNIC/AFRINIC/RIPE) and dns queries and traceroute, etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I worked at a place that was applying for PCI DSS accreditation recently. Do you realise that at least part of the final application process is a SELF COMPLETED questionnaire..?! The whole system is as much about keeping sweet online customers as it is real security.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: PCIDSS

It's worse than that, if you answer the questions truthfully you'll never gain accreditation because they ALL have to be answered with a `YES`, even if they don't apply to your business whatsoever. It's a form of indemnification for the card processors because in the event of any loss, they can just point the finger at the business and say "Well, they answered yes to that question so it's not our responsibility!"

3. TheWeddingPhotographer

You make a good point.

Many businesses use a third party payment provider to avoid the ball ache of making all of their systems compliant... in a way that's what you pay so much for

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vulnerability that's worth more and could've been picked up many times..

If it's in the GET parameter, a simple sqlmap scan would've revealed it: ./sqlmap.py -u (insert URL of choice here)

This is worrying as it means they are missing a whole stack of security:

- They clearly don't have an effective automated vulnerability scanner in place (Acunetix, Qualys, Nessus, etc.) Even a manual pentester would've discovered this, as it doesn't even seem too complex - if it was a blind sql injection it's harder to pick on a manual scan as it requires some kind of script to enumerate tables,etc. on blind injections

- It also indicates absence of a WAF (web application firewall) or one that's configured correctly. Any WAF will start ringing alarm bells if you're inserting SQL parameters in the GET parameter like so/page.php?id=3' or ''='

- Lastly, it means code-wise there's a defficiency. I don't remember whether paypal utilsies PHP or .NET but in any case functions already exist to sanitise all this input - mysqlrealescapestring() in PHP for example.

I admire the company that brought it to light - it would definitely have been worth far more than 3,000 USD on the black market and would've caused damage in the millions if it had been exposed via less savoury means - think pastebin.com or bitshacker....

Paypal escaped lightly this time.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Vulnerability that's worth more and could've been picked up many times..

"Paypal escaped lightly this time."

So what, I am more worried if I will escape lightly not removing my Paypal account.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As someone who programs but has never done SQL, can someone explain to me why SQL "evaluates" string-variables as (potential) program-code by default, instead of treating data and code very separate (like C)?

It's all very well saying "sanitise your input", but I don't understand why the potential for trouble was created in the first place. Sure it lets you write something akin to self-modifying code (but I thought we decided that was a bad idea yonks ago). Thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The problem is people writing bad code.

They should be using parametrized stored procedures or queries, where they pass in individual typed values for each parameter, which are treated as such. Then it works pretty much as you say it should - variables and code are distinct separate things.

But if you write code to piece together an SQL string, and then run that on the db, you're asking for trouble. Sanitizing inputs is just a sticking plaster, if you forget one, or don't do it right, you've got a vulnerability.

2. Bronek Kozicki

That's because SQL is interpreted language (kind of). This property of SQL is sometimes used by lazy developers to build dynamic queries by simple string concatenation, e.g. "SELECT * FROM orders WHERE id = " + request.id(); Assuming that request.id() is string provided by the client, it might be possible to put something "interesting" into it.

Of course there are many ways to prevent this from happening (most popular are 1. use precompiled queries with parameters 2. perform string sanitation on data supplied by the client) but, for "lazy developers" it's not worth the trouble. It seems more fun to just have the database hacked.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

That's because SQL is interpreted language (kind of).

This is the key security issue. Although the risk has been long understood and there are generally pretty reliable ways to pass data in separately so that is cannot, in theory, be run as code, it must be converted in SQL at some point and AFAIK most of SQL escaping techniques have in the past been breached, though I can't remember a server-based library having problems in the last few years. In the event of a breach additional precautions can be taken to limit the scope of any subsequent attack. But all this takes time and planning and you want to get your services out there as soon as possible.

3. Richard 26

The problem is not with SQL itself, rather that most SQL is generated dynamically from another language, and that the simplest way to do it is by passing a string. This leads to similar vulnerabilities as calling system() e.g. embedding a semicolon as statement separator.

11. Tom 38

I'm confused about how the security researches discovered this without breaking the law. Presumably, paypal didn't contract them to do this research, so this means they just started fuzzing paypal urls till something crashed.

Don't get me wrong, I think that is valuable research and should be legal. However, just altering the url a server gives you is enough to be considered hacking in the US (see iphone/AT&T snafu). How does one do security research and not get slammed in gitmo?

1. paj

Paypal's policies allow this

On most web sites you would have to break the law to discover this. However, Paypal have a particular policy, whereby if a researcher follows their rules, they will not be prosecuted. They were the first web site to have such a policy. It was warmly received by the security community, and has since been copied by other web sites.

http://jeremiahgrossman.blogspot.co.uk/2007/11/paypals-vulnerability-disclosure-policy.html

1. asdf

Re: Paypal's policies allow this

Wow paypal forward thinking and progressive on something. You do know April's fool's day was a few weeks ago right? Still kudos to them for at least doing something right.

12. Cubical Drone

Once again...

...Little Bobby Tables raises his ugly head.

1. tony2heads
      Thumb Up

Re: Once again...

You are of course referring to

http://xkcd.com/327/

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's Easy To Avoid SQL Injection

1. Don't use stored procedures, use embedded SQL in compiled programs.

2. Don't use dynamic SQL. All statements static; parameter driven.

If someone has broken security by social engineering or ID hijack; they can damage or steal whatever that ID can damage or steal; but no more.

This is hard to stick to on something like E-Bay (custom search strings); but on a transaction processing system, like PayPal; not so hard. We do this on the transaction processing app I work on at <censored for job retention>. Every year when we have our big security audit we have to explain to the external auditors why we need no protection against injection. Because it just can't be done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's Easy To Avoid SQL Injection

"Because it just can't be done." Slightly dangerous temptation of fate, I think.

Anon.. because you were. :)

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Flame

How much does PayPal turn over a year?

Sanitize your f**king input.

Everywhere,not just in the one place someone found for you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like