back to article Geolocation tech to save 60 Londoners from being run over next year

The Metropolitan Police will be using software from Croydon-based GGP Systems to analyse road traffic accidents in the capital, continuing a 30-year-old process to minimise road deaths. The plan is to reduce the number people being killed and seriously injured on London's roads by 40 per cent by 2020. That's Mayor Boris …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jess--

I wonder whether a fall in the number of road deaths in london would also correlate with a fall in average road speeds in london and an increase in traffic amounts (it's a bit harder to hit something hard enough to kill someone in a traffic jam)

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Yes - sub 20mph cars are unlikely to kill someone. OTOH 40+mph are very likely to.

It's interesting reading and a bunch of the stuff that Surrey has been doing recently is directly at odds with the recommendations in the report.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Guess what the answer will be?

(other than '42')

Ban the infernal combustion engine, ban wearing of headphones and the like so that can hear the leccy cars and get everyone onto 'Boris Bikes'

You know it makes sense!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ollie, in hospital: "You bought me flowers?"

Malcom Tucker: "Bought? Nah, it's just one of the many advantages of living near an accident hotspot"

4. JaitcH
    FAIL

The GLC was dismantled ...

Yet another Thatcher 'success' story.

'Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead'

1. Rufus McDufus

Re: The GLC was dismantled ...

Yet London's roads are safer now than when the GLC is power, despite more traffic. You want to kill people, is that what you're saying?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The GLC was dismantled ...

" You want to kill people, is that what you're saying?"

No, I think JaitcH was just announcing to the world that he's a bitter twat, part of that section of the population that think Mrs Thatcher is to blame for everything. Obviously he was (at best) in short trousers at the time, and can't remember the loony behaviours of the GLC, and its mates in third world hell holes like Brent and Haringey.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Harsh but fair...

Death penalty for failure to use indicators.

Problem, if not solved, at least hugely diminished

1. Nuke
      Thumb Up

@Madra - Re: Harsh but fair...

Wrote :- "Death penalty for failure to use indicators."

Using indicators would also save a lot of time/holdups. Many a time I could have pulled out of a junction if only I had known that an approaching car was going to turn into it.

However, in many people's minds, giving indications is like showing your cards in a game of poker.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: @Madra - Harsh but fair...

Especially those who don't use them on mini-roundabouts.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: @Madra - Harsh but fair...

Indeed, hence BRAKE, indicate, SWERVE

IIRC the road code says indicators have to be on 3 seconds before beginning the manouvere - where "beginning" is the slowing down part. It's certainly the way I was taught - and police in my part of the world would have strong words with anyone they saw who failed to use 'em (The explanation is that it allowed them to check for other stuff like drunk driving/untaxed/unlicenced/bald tyres/etc, which usually go with poor driving.)

I believe you can be fined for failing to use indicators or hit with careless driving charges if things get bad enough - and with the proliferation of dashcams it's not going to be long before we see reports in the Daily Fail about some motorist convicted on the basis of what the cam recorded.

3. Graham Marsden
        WTF?

@Nuke - Re: @Madra - Harsh but fair...

"Many a time I could have pulled out of a junction if only I had known that an approaching car was going to turn into it."

You mean you actually *trust* people to do what they're indicating?!

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: @Nuke - @Graham Marsden

You have hit the nail on the head. Up here around the land of "Jam, Jute and Journalism" there seem to be three types of driver - the ones that completely ignore the indicator stalk, the ones that use the indicator stalk as a "curry hook", and people that don't come from here originally - with the former in the majority. I don't know what the locals are taught, but it isn't the same Highway Code I know ... even (some) driving instructors omit the use of indicators!

2. hamcheeseandonion
      Childcatcher

Re: Harsh but fair...

But....it's not their fault!

I find it barely credible that car manufacturers can actually offer most of their models, with indicators as an Optional Extra, and those poor wee souls, who want a decent car on a low budget, obviously take the alloys before indicators option...I mean, who wouldn't.

So please...don't fume at those who don't indicate, it's not their fault......really.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The plan is to reduce the number people being killed and seriously injured on London's roads by 40 per cent by 2020. That's Mayor Boris Johnson's intention, but making it happen is largely down to the police." by standing on every street corner and stopping the f*cking retard from stepping out without looking!

Leave them to get splattered! Stop trying to save everyone.

I would suggest that we highlight the parents of those retards who are hit, and make sure eeryone knows just how bad they are at parenting. Highlight their schools and their teachers who clearly failed to get the road safety lessons through to them.

7. Jellied Eel Silver badge
    Childcatcher

There's an app in this

Spam people with urgent messages as they're approaching accident blackspots

Send follow-up spam from personal injury claim chasers

Profit!

8. A Long Fellow

But... _which_ 60 Londoners?

In principle, this seems like a good idea. However, I would very much like to know exactly _which_ 60 Londoners won't be culled from the gene pool. These things matter.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like