back to article Industry upstart: You know what high-end HPC needs? More DAY-GLO

One of the best things about industry events like the GPU Technology Conference (GTC 2013) is walking around the trade show floor. It gives me a chance to talk to smaller, niche companies who don’t get the media coverage given to the titans of the high-performance computing industry. (Or to Titan the supercomputer, for that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christian Berger

One of theese days...

I'm gonna get TheReg some old VHS-C camcorder so they can make proper online videos. This de-jittered mobile phone stuff is just nauseating to watch.

Also there is a new development in filming called "editing". It allows film makers to show different things without having to shake the camera around.

Plus there is another development called the "Tripod". I know there is a lot of opposition among free thinking people in the UK against Tripods since that 1980s BBC children's series, but a similar technology has been adopted to cameras enabling them to be moved around in an orderly manner.

1. danolds
      Unhappy

Re: One of theese days...

Damn it, I didn't use a mobile phone! I used a Cannon HFM300 on this one. But, that said, I think the auto image stabilization might have been 'off' rather than 'on'. That, plus the fact that I was drinking huge amounts of coffee throughout the day AND kicking my heroin habit at the same time, probably combined to make this video a bit shakier than others. What's funny is that when I uploaded it to YouTube, it asked if I wanted it to take out the shakiness. I said yes, but only watched a few minutes to see if it was posted correctly. I wonder if they magnified my natural jitter somehow?

It's pretty clumsy and cumbersome to carry a tri-pod around a crowded tradeshow floor, but I think I found the solution - the monopod. I'll use it at the upcoming ISC'13 show and see how it works.

1. Christian Berger

The image stabilization was on. You can tell by the weird way the image warps to compensate for camera movements. It's amazing actually to see what they can do.

As far as camcorders go. The ones you can carry on your shoulder are typically much easier to use. There you usually have rings on the lens to control focus and zoom. And you will get used used SD camcorders in excellent quality for about 500 Euros. That includes the Betacam SP recorder. Used correctly, that can give you beautiful images any way you want.

1. danolds
          Thumb Up

Back to shoulder stablized TAPE camcorders? Damn, I'd hate to have to lug around something that size, plus it would be more cumbersome to edit on the road.

I'll use the monopod first and see how that works. I'm using the Adobe Creative Suite and can try using the feature that removes camera jitter in either Premiere or AfterEffects. But I appreciate you taking the time to give me advice on it.

2. Christian Berger

Ohh a German hobbyists TV show once designed this:

http://www.sporton.de/cms/eurofilmer/files/Bauanleitung%20Schwebestativ.pdf

It's a hobbyists Steadycam. The PDF is German, but the plans are there, too.

2. Christian Berger

BTW, that table isn't really holographic, it's just normal stereoscopic with a head tracker. Still a cool device, but not really revolutionary.

3. FutureShock999
    Boffin

Wow...great stuff

Firstly, gotta agree with Christian - the video was shocking. Shockingly BAD. Mobile phones are not camcorders - they lack the ergonomics especially, meaning that you are always trembling or shaking your hands when holding them for any length of time. Camcorders are designed to allow a much better, more ergonomic grip, AND have better built-in anti-shake, in many cases mechanical as well as digital. This is like a 48kpbs MP3 recording compared to what should be a CD-quality sound.

With that moaning out of the way, the actual devices and application was very, very sweet. Really loved to see it come to life on the video wall. I think the new 4k-class projectors would also work well for that, especially if you can stitch the image together at the seams properly for 9 of them. But the use of GPUs is rapidly going mainstream, and it is great to see the level of code support for super-parellelism really take off.

1. danolds

Re: Wow...great stuff

See my comment about, re: "Damn it, I wasn't using a mobile phone!"....After replying to Christian's comments above, I went back and looked at how YouTube handled the shakiness. To me, it looks like it kept doing small zooms in and out to adjust for camera motion. I know that I didn't zoom all that much and definitely didn't make the small in's and out's that seem to be on the video now. Excuses aside, I do really appreciate the feedback and will try to improve the quality.

I also appreciate your comments on the 4k class projectors. I was at another vendor event last week and they recorded the proceedings in 4k. The camera man told me that shooting in Red actually consumed 6x the storage of 1080p (I had expected it to be 4x larger) and filled his hard drive equipped camera pretty fast. But what an image!

4. Annakan

But the MATTER is really interesting ... just to say ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like