back to article LSDigital drops federal botnet confession

A US-based hacker has admitted he reaped thousands of dollars by breaking into corporate computers in Europe and making them part of a botnet that automatically installed adware. Robert Matthew Bentley, 21, of Panama City, Florida, pleaded guilty to two felony charges related to his botnet activities, which took place over a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Herby

About time!

...enough said!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

1000's

I thought that game was more lucrative than that if thats all they get and the penalties are so stiff maybe it will become less popular.

PH because she knows how to make money for nothing.

3. Steve Roper
    Pirate

Got one!

Ch-klick... HOCK! OOOOORRRRRRAAAAAY!!!

4. Dave Bell

What's the chance of being caught?

If you can't catch the people in the first place, the penalty is irrelevant.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Extradition then?

So he'll be extradited to the EU for trial after serving his sentence in the US then?

6. Grant

@Extradition then?

Why do you want to house and feed this guy for years? Just cause Americans do stupid things is nor reason to want be stupid like them? Now if you had corpral unishment things would be different. Did he hack any Singaporean or Suadi computers?

7. R Callan
    Gates Horns

Monocultures

Even before finishing the article I knew that the problems were going to be with MS systems. The filename.exe confirmed it.

Why do companies run a known very insecure computer setup and have it exposed to the wild and wooly internet? They are asking for trouble and complaining when they get it. Just running a mixed environment where no one platform of as many as possible predominates would result in a more secure envronment.

8. theotherone

the gits

if you take down the gits that pay for this kind of thing, then perhaps nobody would bother with shitnets anymore....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ R Callan

And it would make it ten times harder to support, ten times harder to find business critical software (I’m talking specific industry software firm wide dictation software for example from my line of work) that works across all these platforms that you talk about.

I would point out that in terms of vulnerabilities it is a lot easier to deal with 10000 windows machines with their vulnerabilities than dealing, 2500 windows, 2500 unix, 2500 linux and 2500 mac’s with 4 different sets of vulnerabilities. And that’s ignoring the cost in training people in how to use 4 different 4 OS’s.

Out of interest what expertise or qualifications do you have that that back up your opinion?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like