back to article DropBox adds single sign-on

DropBox has implemented single sign-on as the company strives to get inside enterprises before larger companies commodify its file storage technology. Single sign-on (SSO) gives enterprise IT admins a way to manage use of DropBox by employees, the company announced on Tuesday. Alongside its introduction, DropBox has changed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stu 18
    Thumb Down

What would be useful is multi box

At the moment, I have dropbox for personal use, so that precludes me using them for work unless I have separate profiles for 'personal' and 'work' use on my computer (not going to happen.)

What I want is to be able to sign into half a dozen dropbox accounts, work ones, client ones, personal - then it would be useful for business.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What would be useful is multi box

You can do this. Although it's not officially supported, it's fairly easy to set up. At least it was on my OSX machine, where I have two instances of Dropbox running side by side —one for work and one for personal.

It involved setting up a second "Dropbox-alt" folder in the Finder and then adding a short Applescript to my startup items which logs into Dropbox on a 2nd account and connects it to that folder. As to how easy it is to do on other OSes, I don't know, but if you search for "multiple dropbox instances", you'll find plenty of info out there.

2. liquidsmoke66
    Go

Sharefile

Citrix sharefile also offers SSO to your data. It also features functionality such as storage zones to overcome some data protection laws.

3. Chris 3

Key management?

So when Dropbox first launched, they explained that they would hold all the encryption keys protecting your data to make the service simple. This also gives them the ability to see your data, or course. I'm sure they said they would look into giving users the ability to set up their own keys.

That would be my prerequisite for using Dropbox with company confidential files.

... And no, I don't want to have to bother encrypting files before uploading them.

4. Halfmad

I don't trust dropbox with anything personal which is even vaguely important due to their track record, why on earth would I suggest or approve using it in a corporate environment? It's laughable.

They have to allow us to set the encryption keys and take any access away from their own employees before I'd even consider it. Let's not mention SLAs or where the data is hosted though..

5. Syx
    Facepalm

Business use?

Trusting a third party supplier to hold potentially sensitive business documents securely?

Nope, can't see any issues with that.

Dropbox will never be suitable for anything other than personal use.

1. An0n C0w4rd

Re: Business use?

Businesses are doing it already in much larger numbers than people think. SalesForce is the prime example. If used as a sales tool and not just CRM/support, not only do they hold your internal price lists but also full records of all current, past and prospective customers and your relationships with them.

Then you've got a whole slew of SMEs using Google Apps, etc.

Do I agree with the outsourcing of business critical data like this? Not particularly, but then again I appear to be in the minority. Co-workers have no issues uploading sensitive data to Dropbox, Basecamp, Google Apps, SalesForce, etc. I used to point out to people the risks they were taking (especially since we have internal resources for doing file sharing, collaboration, etc), but I've long since given up.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

commodify...

seems to me that commodify would be to turn something into a toilet, and commoditize would be to turn something into a commodity... wait, which were you going for?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like