back to article Microsoft's telly-over-the-net tech gobbled by Ericsson for mobes

Sweden's telecoms giant Ericsson has bought Mediaroom, the Microsoft-built technology that pipes TV over the internet. It gives the world's largest maker of mobile network gear the keys to a quarter of the world's video over IP (IPTV) market - and 400 staff to improve the delivery of telly to pockets, palms and living rooms. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least it will still be out there. Mediaroom was always so much smoother and faster to use than the Linux / Java flavoured crap that much of the rest of the market makes us put up with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Linux / Java flavoured crap"

"Mediaroom was always so much smoother and faster to use than the Linux / Java flavoured crap that much of the rest of the market makes us put up with."

I'm an outsider so I don't know whether my irony detector is working or not for that sentence.

I do know that a CEO-to-CEO deal, likely not involving engineers much at all, made BT Vision the lead customer for Microsoft's strategic set top box rollout (in the BT Vision STBs), back in the days when no one excpet BT's CEO could be persuaded to touch the thing with a bargepole.

I do also know that BT Vision, as of the Vision+ STB, are no longer a Microsoft customer for their STBs.

Maybe Ericsson just wants to buy the customer base?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Linux / Java flavoured crap"

"I'm an outsider so I don't know whether my irony detector is working or not for that sentence."

Seems clear enough to me. Java based solutions are almost always clunky. Just look at how long the average BluRay player takes to launch a 3D movie!

"back in the days when no one except BT's CEO could be persuaded to touch the thing with a bargepole."

BT were not Microsoft's first customer, so apparently bargepoles were not required. At least 40 different major customers run it, and Microsoft own about 25% of the market.

2. Fihart

Proof reader !!

"For a long time IPTV was considered the reserve of the ISP"

Preserve of the ISP would be correct.

3. D@v3

Desktop PC vs HTPC...?

In the comment "..more internet video on TV screens than on laptop or desktop computers.." where do desktop PC's connected to TV screens fit into it?

I (along with, i would imagine, many readers) have my main PC hooked up to my TV, mainly for the purpose of watching videos, both downloaded, and streamed.

Currently have no interest in 'connected' or 'smart' TV's due to the limitations compared to a full HTPC.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Tom 35

Keep trying

Sooner or later people will pay big bucks every month to watch TV on their phone. Maybe you are not charging enough?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like