back to article USPTO backs down on iPad mini trademark objections

The US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has withdrawn its primary objections to Apple's trademark filing for the term "iPad mini" – but Cupertino is not completely off the hook quite yet. "Upon further review of the application, the examining attorney has determined that the following refusals issued in the initial Office …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Danny 14
    Pint

Aha so the money has started to find its way to the correct fundraiser/ball/lobbying fund.

Phew, that was a close one.

1. LarsG
      Meh

The judge and family have been given a few 'free' samples to examine.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Happy

Oh what cynics your are.

Me too, I guess

2. Shagbag

meanwhile, outside the USPTO...

...a man was seen exiting the building with a brushed-metal boot lodged firmly between his buttocks.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: meanwhile, outside the USPTO...

Hey! I was cleaning it in the bath and slipped!

2. andreas koch
    Paris Hilton

Not the same industry, but just denotes size too:

>

Berns, however, notes that there may still be reasons to deny trademark protection to "iPad mini". For one, although Berns has found "no similar registered mark that would bar registration" (her emphasis), there may be similar marks in "prior-filed pending applications" that would bar Apple from gaining a trademark.

<

http://boots.scene7.com/is/image/Boots/10001345?wid=280&hei=343&op_sharpen=1

Paris, because she's a lady . . .

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They've backtracked a little

Release one of the hostages.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe not so bad...maybe?

I'm not an Apple fan by any means, but was it just me thinking that the trademark of "iPad mini" was well within bounds, or at least reasonable? The other parts of the story I read a few days ago were laughable.

No, I don't like Apple, but this trademark for "iPad mini" seems reasonable in comparison to other trademarks like "TV Guide". Maybe the USPTO got one right, maybe the sun does shine on a dogs ass every once in awhile.

Regardless, you sure can tell the scheduling of government workers by the elapsed time. Notice the weekend gap were nobody was working the USPTO, if someone was this probably would of been decided on Saturday (Possibly Friday if enough people in the government were NOT sports fans and didn't take leave...Baseball is back).

1. Mephistro
      Holmes

Re: Maybe not so bad...maybe?

Sorry to disagree. The term iPad is already registered, so nobody except Apple could name a product "iPad mini". Why this redundancy, then? My guess is that they want to use this registration as a stepping stone for legally harassing any manufacturer who dares to use the word 'mini' in their products. Yes, if the case ever goes to court chances are that the case will be dismissed or ruled against Apple, but most companies just lack the money to fight Apple in a court.

IMHO, the only thing Apple is getting better at lately is at gaming the system. :-(

1. Someone Else Silver badge
        Coat

My guess is that they want to use this registration as a stepping stone for legally harassing any manufacturer who dares to use the word 'mini' in their products.

Kotex is in trouble, then....

2. Mephistro
        Thumb Up

Re: Maybe not so bad...maybe? (2)

I forgot to add that Lee-Anne Berns seems to agree on the reasons why Apple is trying to copyright the terms "iPad mini", as suggested by this paragraph in the article:

"In addition, and as in the earlier ruling, she requires that Apple amend its trademark application to include a disclaimer that it doesn't seek to trademark the term "mini" per se, and that it makes no claim on that term other than in the product-identifying term "iPad mini".

It seems that the USPTO has at least someone who understands the issue. Kudos to Mrs. Berns.

1. VinceH
          Thumb Up

Re: Maybe not so bad...maybe? (2)

"It seems that the USPTO has at least someone who understands the issue. Kudos to Mrs. Berns."

That was almost exactly my thinking when I read the paragraph you quoted.

2. Rattus Rattus

"Regardless, you sure can tell the scheduling of government workers by the elapsed time. Notice the weekend gap were nobody was working the USPTO"

I fail to see the point of this statement. Are you perhaps saying that government workers work sensible, reasonable hours? The kinds of hours that are but a memory for private industry workers? I fail to see any reason why an office worker ought to be at work on the weekend except in very rare, specific cases.

5. Caesarius
    WTF?

Really, WTF?

A Mini is a car, dammit.

1. Steve Foster
      Facepalm

Re: Really, WTF?

Yes, but assuming the application goes through, surely you realise that it will have been invented by Apple...

2. Ralph B
      FAIL

Re: Really, WTF?

The Austin Mini Countryman (1961–1969) was 2.1m long and weighed ~690kg . The BMW Mini Countryman (2010-present) is 4.1m long and weighs 1,265kg. That is, nearly twice as long and twice as heavy!

If there was any justice in this world, BMW should lose the right to use the "Mini" name. Apple, by producing something "smaller than the original", have at least demonstrated that they grasp the meaning of the word.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Mushroom

"The examining attorney apologizes for any inconvenience caused."

Oh dear. Someone admitted liability for causing inconvenience. AND it's an attorney!

Shirly that must be grounds to sue for a couple of BEEELION in compo.

7. Herby
    Joke

So if combine things and get...

An 'iPad Mini Cooper' it might not fly??

8. Phil Endecott

Wasn't the original story an

April Fool? I read the first couple of paragraphs and then remembered the date.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what's a mini

OK -- so the Greeks already had it (though a short skirt and pom pom shoes doesn't scream battle honours to me) and Issigonis had the mini in production.

But if push came to shove, would we want the Quant mini banned?

I'm fine with consigning the maxi to the scrap heap, the midi was just a skirt, but the mini...

OK so some people got a little excited by a pdp 8e, but honestly I think we can generally agree a mini is something that I will refer to as a belt when my daughter attempts to go out for an evening wearing one.

[she will then roll eyes and we'll proceed to re-enact some classic drama during which doors will be slammed (front or bedroom) and I'll laugh my head off because it'll never be shorter than the stuff her aunts wore]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like