back to article Japanese boffin designs glasses for the absent minded

Finding your misplaced possessions may soon become a problem of the past. Boffins at a Japanese university have invented a pair of smart specs that recognise objects and record their locations to help you find them later. Image_recog_glasses Prof. Kuniyoshi's glasses remind you where you left things Image courtesy of The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bruce
    Coat

errr....

....ok, now where did I put my glasses?

2. Alan Donaly

If you are truly

absent minded you would leave these somewhere. I read (but I don't remember where) that these kinds of seeing devices tend to anger security guards, sort of like dogs and mylar balloons. I would hate to get beaten or shot just because I can't remember where I put my keys on a regular basis.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Have Some Frickin' Pride

If only they looked as cool as they sounded. Sorry, but if I wore something like that around, then I'd have to kick my own ass.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recursion

Now, where did I leave those damn glasses?

5. Dimitrov
    Unhappy

Ads

This presents endless oportunities for "smart" advertising. Just looking at a billboard will bombard you with dozens of rubbish info. Oh the joy. The future just became darker.

6. Amanda
    Alien

Year 2012

Can anyone tell me why 'year 2012' is crossed out? Is it because the end of the world is then??

7. Adam Foxton
    Thumb Down

Isn't this a bit useless...

... if you don't live alone? If you've got a dog/wife/husband/flatmate/burglar you'll suddenly find that everything is badly out of sync.

How would i know if something had been moved or if it was just underneath a sheet of paper on a desk (as is my most common cause of object loss)?

Would it work if the object was rotated/inverted?

Could it tell the difference between an open/closed/part open laptop?

Couldn't they have used those camera-equipped glasses and a HUD? Or made it work with a cameraphone?

And isn't this not actually that huge a step forwards from the Gizmondo and a hundred other Augmented Reality projects?

Also, as someone who routinely walks about with a camera/HMD/belt-mounted first-attempt-at-a-wearable-PC strapped to them, I'd still have to say that it looks rather nerdy and crap. Build it into a hat, at least!

8. adam roberts
    Paris Hilton

point

eh? You have to look at the object for it to tell you that its there!!

Surely if you can see it, you don't need a wacky device to tell you its there!

Maybe Paris should get one for her driving license

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like