back to article Microsoft to slap 9 patches on Windows junkies on Tuesday

Microsoft is lining up nine patches - two critical - as part of the April edition of its regular Patch Tuesday update cycle. The nine bulletins due on 9 April affect all versions of Windows, some Office and Server components as well as Windows Defender on Windows 8 and RT. The first of the two critical updates covers all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arctic fox
    Windows

@Andy Prough "We need to take him under our wings and teach him............

............. how to properly handle a computer system."

Indeed. However, though I have considerable respect for your kindly intentions I fear that you would be taking on a labour of Sisyphus. Every time you had just got that boulder to the top of the mountain.....etc....etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It wouldn't be an article about Windows...

...without Eadon chiming in with his completely predictable diatribe about how bad the most used OS in the world is.

1. Spoonsinger
      Headmaster

Re: It wouldn't be an article about Windows...

It's obviously the old double bluff. Mad man shouts against a perceived threat with not visible means to support the time he uses to support his actions. World weary intellectual types weighed down by the constant onslaught of random anti-something stuff, turn to the opposite of what the mad man thinks, and buys into that ideology. It's a classic attack, and MS, (in this case), gets, maybe five, extra license sales from it - probably.

3. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Megaphone

Sorry but

I think Windows is a load of bollocks as well

If they split the OS into admin space and user space and denied write access to anything in admin unless logged in as admin, then windows would be a fook sight more secure.

Come on guys.. since when does a browser in user space need the ability to write (and trash) the entire system? and how long has it been going on for.... 15... 16... 18 years?

But then linux is'nt helped by the nerds in charge of it going'search the forum newbie' to anyone asking a question where my answer would always be "Write some A1 documentation linux nerd before rushing off to create <spit> gnome 3"

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Sorry but

@Boris the Cockroach -

>"If they split the OS into admin space and user space and denied write access to anything in admin unless logged in as admin, then windows would be a fook sight more secure."

You might want to read up on types of users, and setting user level privileges

>"Come on guys.. since when does a browser in user space need the ability to write (and trash) the entire system? and how long has it been going on for.... 15... 16... 18 years?"

Browsers on my systems don't have that kind of access. Have you been enabling java and flash in browsers by default? If so, why?

>"But then linux is'nt helped by the nerds in charge of it going'search the forum newbie' to anyone asking a question where my answer would always be "Write some A1 documentation linux nerd before rushing off to create <spit> gnome 3""

YOU try writing documentation for software that is run on every last bit of hardware on the planet. Little bit easier when you are Apple and only support one piece of hardware, eh?

1. Richard Plinston

> for software that is run on every last bit of hardware on the planet.

Your view of the range of hardware that is in use seems to have been formed entirely in a retail shop and by reading only MS marketing blub.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Stop

>"Your view of the range of hardware that is in use seems to have been formed entirely in a retail shop and by reading only MS marketing blub."

I was responding to his Linux-lacks-perfect-documentation rant. Kind of hard to perfectly document software that is going to be run on everything from cars to televisions to satellites to phones to tablets to laptops to supercomputers and mainframes and web servers and - you get the point. I agree with you - Windows is far more limited than Linux, although it still runs on many orders-of-magnitude more hardware than OSX.

2. Gordon Fecyk
      WTF?

Where were you the past thirteen years?

If they split the OS into admin space and user space and denied write access to anything in admin unless logged in as admin, then windows would be a fook sight more secure.

Windows had this since NT 3.1, but didn't really support "non-NT" applications until Windows 2000. UAC on Vista took this further. Don't blame MS for people not using it, or vendors not respecting it.

Here's how it's done on Windows 8.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Whoo Hooo

Up the MS Fans!!!!

(and i DO include myself in there).

5. Stevie

Bah!

I've come to the conclusion that half the misconceptions parroted back as reasons MS Windows sucks boil down to "I did Unix in college and don't understand the security model on anything else, nor am I prepared to learn".

For all it's other failings failings, Windows designers at least understood that a proper approach to workstation computing does not require a user to switch security credentials every five minutes to get a job done. I might note in passing that it was only after the advent of Windows NT 4 and above that Unix and its clones began to encompass the idea that a person might have a role that cannot be described in the naive academic "person, group, world" model, despite all the years the Unix community had to understand and implement the idea.

No, I'm not especially pro Wndows. I just cut my IT teeth outside of the tunnel-vision that is IT today, where OS's are grouped into Unix-like and Windows (and God Forbid the Twain should Meet).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well put. I use Linux, BSD, Windows & (in the past) iOS. I have said positive and negative things about all of them. Due to this I have been accused of being a FOSS hating Microsoft shill, a Microsoft bashing FOSS lover & an Apple fanboy.

It's not cool to have an open mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like