back to article Chinese search king Baidu testing Google Glass competitor

Baidu, the search firm that handles the requests of over three quarters of China's internet users, is trying out a wearable headset of its own – but it's hardly the svelte headset Sergey Brin's so fond of showing off. Baidu Glass prototype Sophisticated it ain't The first photos of the prototype on Sina Tech show a clunky …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS America, most of the cameras already in the country are made in China, but I bet your real problem isn't that it's made in China but that a Chinese brand is taking the money, come on, be honest with us okay?

Anyway I'm not sure that the glasses are the way of the future but I'm sure at some point a portable HUD will be the norm. Maybe not for a decade but someday, it's just such an obvious development that it seems odd that it wouldn't come about. Well unless the world lurches harder to the technophobic side then I suppose all of the technology will be hidden away for the technocrats to use while the good little people live in tree houses or some such. It does seem that at the moment that the interfaces are too primitive for it to be really practical.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well i for one will not be getting into the craze... I like the idea of google glass in principle, but not the idea that google holds the data...

Give google access to every photo you take? mad....

google+? great way to keep in touch with people, but instant upload? no thanks.....

1. Oninoshiko

Why are we talking about google glass?

This isn't about google glass, this is about baidu glass... which should probably scare you more.

3. Don Jefe

A Chineese Knockoff?

Who would have thought that the Chineese would be developing a cheap knockoff product! That's just crazy to think they would do that!

4. Barry Dingle

Imitating dumb with dumber

The sooner we can get brilliantly stupid folk walking into traffic while watching reruns, the better.

5. Mr Spock

Great.

You'd be walking along and suddenly everything would go black, as the Chinese government censors stopped you from seeing something they didn't want you to see. Walking around Tienanmen Square would be particularly hard.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Great.

Peril Sensitive Sunglasses - it's been done before

Mine's the one with the towel.

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: Great.

Worse....the GPS automatically detects your location and transmits anything interesting you see straight to the People's Committee for Industrial Espionage in Beijing. No more having to send "students" who get caught trying to board planes with one-way tickets and briefcases full of documents.

6. Trustme
    Stop

Not camera's watching you in cities?

Really? People are concerned that they might be captured on camera in the US and the UK? People don't trust Google with said pictures and videos?

I think you'll find that boat sailed many years ago, you are already captured on camera hundreds of times a day if you live in a major city, and far more nefarious organisations have access to the data collected that was put in place by your lovely governments (who would never abuse that position of course...). We're already saturated by cameras recording our every move, most large, reputable establishments have CCTV that is constantly recording, so the idea that you're offended/worried about Joe Bloggs catching you pick your nose on a train is a tad redundant.

7. Shagbag

Duke of Edinburgh

I wonder what Prince Philip woud say about it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like