back to article Holden bakes Siri into Barinas

General Motors' antipodean outpost, Holden, is trying to put a bit of cool into its four-cylinder shopping trolley, the Barina, by integrating Siri into its electronics. Well, not just cool: with a suitable iPhone running iOS 6 connected to its electronic innards, Siri will let drivers make “eyes-free” calls, and to avoid …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Siri...

...remind me again why I spent good money on a car with such twattish accessories.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Siri...

...remind me again why I bought a Barina.

2. Magani
    FAIL

What about the rest of us...

... who don't (or won't) own an iPhone?

What's next? Siri in Commodores and utes?

Fail, GMH, for locking in one particular brand of phone.

1. 20legend
      FAIL

Re: What about the rest of us...

The rest of us can save some cash by not specifying the iTwat option on the car order form, and then just use something sensible like Google Now, with no ongoing obligation to be tied to it as it's only on our phones, not baked into our cars.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How are you going to use Google Now if you can't even touch your phone? I just read of the Google Now site and it doesn't make any mention of it being hands free activation...

..or did you not read the part about NSW drivers NOT BEING ALLOWED TO TOUCH their phones while in a moving car?

2. rwerkh

No the twat is the person who thinks that having the ability to use one product somehow means lock-in.

Apple provides Siri and the option for car manufacturers to integrate with it.

Samsung has their own voice activation but no option for car manufacturers - so what was Holden to do? Not support the only option available?

Seriously get over this whole insane ignorant hate thing.

Buy a Barina and use whatever phone you want - you won't get Siri integration without Siri to integrate with.

What you are saying is as insane as whinging about Bluetooth cause your phone doesn't have it would be.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I'm looking for a new car

I certainly won't buy one that relies on a phone that will be obsolete in two years, and is made by a company that has a history of using non-standard interfaces which it arbitrarily changes. That and the fact that I despise Apple ensures that I'll be looking elsewhere.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Barely Holden-together

I always thought the Barina was in the large motorcycle class.

Or is that just siri?

5. DigiGuy
    Happy

Siri ??

In 2011,here in Oz, I bought a Linux VW instead of an iHolden or a Microsoft Ford. My Nokia N9 works fine with the Blue Tooth setup for calls and streaming music etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like