back to article Richard Gere not obscene, rules Indian court

India's Supreme Court has thrown out an obscenity charge against the Dalai Lama's thesp chum Richard Gere, provoked by the campaigning actor's "repeated kisses on [Shilpa] Shetty's cheeks at an event to promote AIDS awareness in New Delhi" in April last year. The uninhibited Gere-on-Bollywood-Babe action was declared by some …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John A Blackley

"not obscene"

"Richard Gere not obscene, rules Indian court".

They haven't seen him 'act' then?

2. Tom Kelsall

I saw the video just the same as we all did...

...and if it wasn't obscene it was definitely deeply embarrassing to Shilpa and an unwarranted invasion into her personal space. Was Gere drunk at the time? He certainly seemed it.

3. Liam

obscene? from the nation that brought you the karma sutra?

hmmmmmmm

i suppose a lot of their ancient architecture is also classed as obscene? have you seen some of it - mass orgies carved on buildings.... bring back old india i say!

4. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Hmmmm...

"A two-judge bench headed by the Chief Justice of India, KG Balakrishnan, declared: "Richard Gere is free to enter the country. This is the end of the matter.""

...Doesn't say anything about LEAVING the country, does it?

5. John Edwards
    Paris Hilton

Paris yet again

I wonder what would happen if SHE visited India. Paris obviously.

6. Curtis W. Rendon
    Flame

@ obscene? from the nation that brought you the karma sutra?

Ghandi wanted all the ancient temples torn down because of "obscenity"

@Tom Kelsall

Haven't seen the video, so you may want to avoid the advertising flacks "all".

7. MD Rackham

But what about the gerbils?

Don't they deserve a day in court?

8. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    IT Angle

No IT angle, please move to some coffee table rag.

Why is this waste of bandwidth going up on what used to be one of the Web's premier tech news sites? Please, can't Lester save such fluff pieces for OK magazine?

9. Ted Powell

The nation that brought you what?

I do not think that phrase means what you think it means...

sutra -- a collection of rules or aphorisms

kama sutra -- a sutra about enjoying the world of the senses

karma sutra -- presumably a sutra about the sum total of the ethical consequences of a person's good or bad actions

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ obscene? from the nation that brought you the karma sutra?

I think Liam was referring to this place.

http://konark.nic.in/

Yeah. Seen it. Get a guide and expect to spend several hours on a lesuirely stroll.

Maybe Ghandi did want it torn down. That ought to mark him as pretty tainted by the British. Remarkable. Even more remarkable is that the British didn't tear it down - made it "safe" yes, but left the carvings for all to enjoy. So what was Ghandi's point I wonder. I've wondered about the transition of Indian society from the one that made those carvings on that temple and the one we have today. The guide I had on my tour said that in those days the population was small and now it doesn't need any encouragement.

And more remarkable - this temple is 700 years old give or take, built of sandstone and practically on the eastern coast of India. I think it's remarkable that there's anything left to take offence to.

BTW - take dollars. Foreigners pay 250 rupees or 5 USD. 5USD is the cheaper option. And take a hat.

11. V.Srikrishnan

for the Mahatma's sake....

its Gandhi , not Ghandi.....

rest arguments regarding ancient indian erotic stone carving are not really relevant. Cultural tastes change with time.

12. Sceptical Bastard

Good taste

Last laugh to Shilpa? She got snogged by Gere, not Jade Goody.

Talking of whom, the Big Bruvver troll-ette is surely most risible repulsive rebarbative retard to ever grace public awareness? And yet we deride Paris Hilton who is a moral and intellectual giant in comparision (as well as not being fat and criminally pig-ugly).

Sorry, everyone - felt the need to share.

13. Ajal Gujal
    Flame

@Liam and Anonymous

The Konark sun temple is very tame compared to the Kajuraho Temple.

Check out some pics here

http://www.jbech.de/gallery/Kajuraho

Official website

http://www.mptourism.com/dest/khajuraho.html

This topic is closed for new posts.