back to article USA's H-1B skilled worker visa applications open

Fancy a few years working in the US of A? If you possess a Bachelor's degree in computing or engineering, can prove skills and experience in the field and have found a stateside employer who wants your talents, get typing, dear reader, because for the next couple of days the USA is taking applications for the H-1B visa. The H- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. bazza Silver badge
    Pint

Think of the beer!

<--- Not worth it until they can do this properly...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Think of the beer!

They can, they just keep all the good stuff over there, there are thriving microbreweries and they're generally excellent.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Think of the beer!

Those of us who know can do it properly.... we drink imported beer (and Scotch)

<-- Cheers

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

The USA, a nation of polar extremes

They may brew many of the worst beers in the world, but they also brew many of the best.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: The USA, a nation of polar extremes

At the risk of perpetuating an International Beer Superiority war, I respectfully submit this.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: The USA, a nation of polar extremes

Certainly there are very good beers being produced in the UK but that looks like a list of 50 British beers, and is in poor agreement with what the online beer communities consider to be the best ones.

There's been a tremendous amount of experimentation and innovation by American microbreweries in the last few decades, which I don't believe could have happened in countries with a strong beer tradition such as those of the UK, or Germany etc.

And beer is better for it. There's an irony...

2. beardman
    Trollface

not attractive offer

especially given the fact that Norks declared war on this country

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: not attractive offer

Yeah, but I'll bet the Nork developers tasked with writing war simulations in COBOL wouldn't mind trading it in for one of those visas in the stanky land of the Golden Arches.

Of course, two years down the road they might end up unemployed and go postal with an AR-15, but that's another story...

3. MrXavia
    Pint

No thank you, I'll stick to countries where I can trust the tax office to be fair.....

The scare stories I've heard from Americans about the IRS give me nightmares..

No taxation without representation! yeah like that worked out well....

Beer, because if I paid US taxes I couldn't afford it!

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Only countries where you can trust the tax office

So when is your flight to the Moon?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the way to do it.

This is the correct way to handle immigration - an annual quota - not a free for all unlimited numbers approach like the UK. Given the relative size of the UK, that would mean around 10,000 maximum per year over all types of (supposedly) skilled worker.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is the way to do it.

Oh, and I am NOT a racist.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Stop

I wish Brits would stop parroting this nonsense about having open borders to the whole world. You dont!

There is a very strict limit on the number of foreign (read: non-EU) immigrants that can come to the UK. And to do that you have to show a ridiculous amount of documentation, perseverance and cough up a ridiculous amount of money (non-refundable of course) just to have your application looked at (with no guarantee that you will be accepted, and even if you do not get accepted you dont get your money back).

If you have a problem with immigration to the UK then get your MP to lobby to get you out of the EU. Because the EU allows free cross border immigration and you cant stop those european immigrants, so either get out of the EU (and block the european migrants) or instead quit your whinging and stop making scapegoats out of the rest of us.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There is no UK quota - that's the problem. It's as many as can complete the paperwork. Which is unwise from the point of view of protecting those job seekers living here.

In the US - every H1B applicant has to have a sponsoring employer (ie. a job) and strict rules apply to ensure it cannot be filled locally first.

In the UK a Tier 1 visa immigrant can (and do) just turn up and start competing for vacancies against locals. As I said - the US does it properly - the UK as usual screws everything to with immigration totally up.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Competing with locals is good.

If they can do better than the locals they get the job, the company does better, the company becomes succesfull and hires more people and pays more tax (snigger).

Would you rather ARM could hire the best coders in the world - even if they were American/Japanese/Korean - or be limited to Bert from Saffron Walden because you wouldn't want anyone coming from outside S Cambs and taking local jobs

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. YARR
              Thumb Down

"Competing with locals is good."

Good for whom? Not for local people in the countries open to immigration, where local people have to accept lower status jobs as a consequence and have less opportunity to develop their skills. Whereas when people emigrate from a country they vacate opportunities to those further down the education/skills ladder.

"Would you rather ARM could hire the best coders in the world - even if they were American/Japanese/Korean - or be limited to Bert from Saffron Walden because you wouldn't want anyone coming from outside S Cambs and taking local jobs"

That's your opinion, just don't make the mistake of having brand loyalty to a globalist corporation thinking you're helping your own country's economy. If we apply your logic then we should expect 99%+ of global corporation employees to be non-British since we make up <1% of the world's population. If they choose to keep their offices here, then it looks like Bert from Saffron Walden will have seek employment abroad for less pay, or be consigned to a sink-estate living on benefits. Same thing will happen to the next generation of immigrant children until the world's economies are equalised, or a new equilibrium is reached whereby "Western" countries have sucked all the available talent out of the rest of the world in a desperate attempt to maintain their economic status, without a care for what impact this has on local people.

2. Badvok

There is a UK quota: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2011/april/07annual-limit-immigration

But EU residents are all entitled to work here and are hence not classed as immigrants.

3. lglethal Silver badge
            Stop

Tier 1's cannot just "turn up". A Tier 1 visa must be applied for from outside of the country (the only exception being if you have just completed a Masters (or higher level) degree at an approved UK Higher Educational Institution (and there is actually only a select list of universities that count for this approval)).

If you have passed the ridiculously high entry bar, and paid out the over £1300 in non-refundable processing fees, then yes you can come and start looking for a job in England. But during the time where you dont have a job you are not entitled to any government assistance. Considering that one of the minimum requirements for a Tier 1 visa is to have a Masters degree level of education then its no real wonder that Tier 1's are usually able to find work relatively easily.

Oh and as someone has already said their is a quota for immigrants. Just dont include the europeans in that...

So quit your whinging. If Brits bothered to complete university degree level education in areas where there are skills shortages - engineering, science, medicine - then maybe things wouldnt be such a problem and you might be able to compete. Or get out of the EU, prevent the low skilled workers from eastern europe taking the jobs of the low skilled workers from the UK, and see how that turns out for you...

2. shawnfromnh

I agree, there is a limit and cross EU movement should absolutely be restricted to immigrants especially.

Just for a rough example say someone immigrated to France from a 3rd world country. They should not be allowed to just travel freely to another EU country even for temporary work for say 10 years or so just to make sure other countries don't become overwhelmed when they are turning away new immigrants. I am in the US but I'm watching the EU slowly being overrun with immigrants and a lot of them seem to be trying to change the EU instead of trying to fit in.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

They can't travel to another Eu country to get work until they are a citizen of the first Eu country - which normally takes years.

Think of the Eu like the US, if you become a US citizen in Texas you should be allowed to move to California within 10years.

2. Alfred
        Happy

"Oh, and I am NOT a racist."

In the same way that Fox News starts with "Fair and balanced", and some guy down the pub says "I'm not racist, but..."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "Oh, and I am NOT a racist."

Racist is not foreigner hatred/dislike/non-love (probably has some other name). Similarly, disliking Welsh people is not racist as the Welsh are a nationality, not a race.

Racist are quite capable of hating their own countrymen, who are of a different race.

So, I'm not a racist, but, the uk has some serious immigration issues to address.

1. Badvok
            Headmaster

"Racist are quite capable of hating their own countrymen, who are of a different race."

Sorry but you just shot yourself in the foot with that comment - there is no such thing as 'race' in the minds of those who are not racist.

1. Yag
              Headmaster

If there's no such thing as 'race', racism does not exist.

Not at all.

Shhhh...

*close eyes*

Those who are not racist may accept that 'races' exists, but :

- They also knows that, due to the long history of migrations, settlings, conflicts and rapes (good ol' days) there's no such thing as a 'pure race'

- They also knows what the concept of "racial purity" brought...

- They also acknowledge that the people they're talking to may have european/african/east asian/indian/plutonian* ancestry, but they simply *DON'T CARE* and talk to them as an individual. Being overcautious not to hurt "you people" seems actually quite racist to me...

* Well, i'm not racist, but those plutonian... They're not born on a real planet y'know...

1. Badvok

"Those who are not racist may accept that 'races' exists"

It has long been accepted by rational people that the concept of race is totally arbitrary and useless as anything other than an excuse for discrimination. It is an antiquated discriminatory label applied based on appearance only and has no scientific basis. There is more genetic difference between a man and a woman that there is between a white skinned man and a black skinned man, and there is about the same level of genetic difference between a redhead and a brunette as there is between a white skinned man and a brown skinned man.

The only people who hold onto the concept of race are those who want to be able to label people as different to themselves and thus treat them differently.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Sorry, I meant I AM a racist! Blooming spell checker!

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Shot myself in foot?

And by extension everyone must be sexist, unless for some reason you don't notice if you're talking to a male or female [unless you are on the internet].

Merely being aware of someones race, sex, religion etc does not make you racist or sexist or whatever. To suggest so is stupid.

I'm still not racist,but stupid people get on my tits.

5. Kingston Black
    Paris Hilton

"A year should be plenty of time for the average Reg reader to pull that off? ®"

Stop sniggering at the back. A year? More like a couple of minutes...

Paris - well obviously...

1. Crazy Operations Guy
      Coat

Re: "A year should be plenty of time for the average Reg reader to pull that off? ®"

If my coworkers are anything to go by, they'd be models for the 'Before' images for medical advertisements...

<-Coat, because I wish most of them kept theirs on...

6. Annihilator
    Headmaster

"you can always spend the year between now and the next round of H-1B applications making yourself as physically attractive as possible "

You sure you mean "physically attractive"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In the gravitational sense? The beer and chocolate should help with that.

7. Christian Berger

What I wonder is...

In Germany such regulations are usually there to get cheap employees... but the US already are a low wage country, with high cost of living and poor infrastructure.

This topic is closed for new posts.