back to article Smartphone running 'Facebook OS' said to debut this week

Facebook has sent out invitations to an event at its Menlo Park headquarters this week that many believe will see the launch of a new, Facebook-branded smartphone – and an Amazon phone may not be far behind. Facebook's invites themselves were fairly cryptic. "Come See Our New Home on Android" was all they said, along with the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Magani
    Unhappy

Why would a sane person buy one?

"...brand-new fork of Android that places special emphasis on Facebook's social services..."

As it's Farcebook, does that mean its users will be well and truly forked.

A.FB based phone is wrong on so many levels.

1. Andrew_b65
      FAIL

Faddy, played out

This is like chocolate flavoured Philadelphia cheese spread.

What a complete pile of poo!

1. BillG
        Mushroom

Re: Faddy, played out

A mobile OS totally focused around Facebook - PLUS...

Your mobile browsing history, private emails, Amazon purchases, photos taken, music played, etc. - PLUS...

...Facebook's famous attitude towards "privacy".

What could possibly go wrong???

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why would a sane person buy one?

This presumably means more IP income for Microsoft and Nokia, seeing as lots of things in Android are based on their patented tech innovations....I wonder if Facebook already negotiated licences?

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

... bit like a full frontal lobotomy ...

1. Master Rod

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.......

4. Annihilator
      Meh

Why do people install apps on their smartphones that replicate a web page? There are many bizarre choices that users make.

5. BrentRBrian

Because they are tired of their Win8 phone ??? Oh, you said SANE .... sorry.

6. LarsG
      Meh

Why? There are enough self-important Facebook users out there who think the unimportant, boring, uninteresting minutiae of their sad lives must be shared with the world. To them the pinnacle of smartphones would be a Facebook phone, in their minds this phone gives them affirmation, that they are important to the rest the Universe. Their circle of friends will of course coo and fawn over them and aspire and covet such a phone, thus increasing their own self-importance.

An Amazon phone on the other hand would probably be cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to replace Nd come with free delivery on all purchases. Not something you'd want to get out at the pub though.

7. GotThumbs
      Boffin

FB is trying hard to remain relevant as more and more users tyre of the worlds largest self-enrolling marketing pool IMO.

I can't say I blame (FB) them for trying to further entrench themselves in peoples lives, as its a way to remain relevant.. I'm sure there will be some fools...err followers that will bite, but as a non-Fbooker, I pass for the same reason I'll never own an IDevice. I prefer to use as open a system as I can. Google does offer lots of services, but I get to opt out any I wish and I still prefer making up my own mind, as opposed to letting some company tell me how its going to be.

for example: I'm able to stream all my music from my homeserver without the need to have any company (apple/google) host/control my content. Subsonic lets you stream music (even movies) without commercials/ads for a single one time donation (fee) and no need to upload any content like Google Play.

There are alternative solutions out there, if you're willing to look.

Best wishes,

8. Master Rod

I want nothing to do with Facebook, or anything else of their easily hacked crap. You must be mad, nay, insane to have such an addiction.

2. dssf

Gives a whole new meaning to "Insta(nt)Gram"...

Gives a whole new meaning to "Insta(nt)Gram"...

FaceGram? InstaBook, anyone?

A new world of "telegram" activity. Imagine the looks on the faces of Bell, Edison, and others from way back when if they could be reanimated to face today's world. Imagine now rich they'd be if they were alive to reap patents that might have flowed -- assuming US Patent laws were different.

FB will probably have a real-time, live-streaming camera server running with the messenger/chat feature embedded, enabling almost-live global image-feeding. Now, the news papers might be able to make money getting right-of-first-refusal access to fb users' photos. Wouldn't be too bad a deal as long as the photo authors get nice compensation, and maybe royalties, too, if the papers want to own the photo and all rights to the photo.

The papers probably won't even have to increase staff too much, either, since FB and other companies have object recognition, meaning news papers and even intel agencies might want to remote-command snapping of locales by random cameras since they can access or tease out the location of the phone. If so, expect some countries to REALLY clamp down on FB if they are paranoid...

3. Harvey Trowell

Portmanteau

Dear El Reg, if Facebook do indeed release their own Smartmobe, might I humbly request that you refer to it forevermore as the Fartmobe?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Portmanteau

No, don't do that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In other news, website The Register releases its own phone... Apps include a unit converter.

1. Julo
          Happy

... and it is rumored that the Register phone will come with Engish replacing Slangish (used in its regular edition)

4. JassMan

Will nobody think of the programmers

While most sane people agree that monopolies are a bad thing, fragmentation by forking cannot be good for the market. Testing apps for a smartphones/tablets will be so involved that developers will be forced out of the market or end up prducing software that only mostly works some of the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will nobody think of the programmers

I think Android is waaay past that now!

2. M Gale

"developers will be forced out of the market or end up prducing software that only mostly works some of the time."

My god yes. Isn't it just so wonderful that the PC has been so unified for the past 30-odd years?

As for a Facebook phone... unfortunately no developers will get another rating or review from me specifically because of the Plus requirement to do so now. If I wanted a Facebook account, I'd get a Facebook account.

Maybe the phone will be useful to some people, but.. no thanks.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ted Treen
        Devil

Re: @M Gale (29/03 23:57)

" If I wanted a Facebook account, I'd get a Facebook account."

Likewise - but I'd expect my family to have me sectioned well before I actually did it.

3. Richard Plinston

> fragmentation by forking cannot be good for the market.

It is called variety and choice. Choice is good for the consumers, which is why Android leads the market.

One OS vendor wants their OS to be identical from every OEM. That limits choice. That is not good for the market, as shown by the market share that it has.

> Testing apps for a smartphones/tablets will be so involved that developers will be forced out of the market or end up prducing software that only mostly works some of the time.

What complete nonsense. Most apps will run on any fork, it is only the Google branded stuff that gets removed. Developers may choose to only support vanilla Android, or may choose to use Google specific stuff, such as maps, and thus not run on facebook, or could use Facebook specific stuff and thus only be in the Facebook app store. It is called _choice_. Or they could do both.

There is a large enough base of users, and a large enough base of apps to not worry the developers or the users.

Using your argument then 'forking' Windows into Starter, Home, Professional, Ultimate, Server, Enterprise, Home Server, etc "cannot be good for the market" and "developers will be forced out".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Richard Plinston. I have a business developing across both iOS and Android. I can tell you for sure you're right that with a large enough market developers won't go away. But you couldn't be more wrong in your comparison of Android to Windows and trivialising the extent of the problem. We're allocating our test budget for Android has to be many multiples the budget for iOS. The problem is every small difference makes a very big difference to the number of tests that have to be run - you haven't said this, but it's often said by others that the various flavours of Android are "almost the same." Well that phrase hides a huge number of cases and headaches when it comes to testing.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is that why the Orange versions of otherwise nice phones are so shite?

4. Shagbag

Upvoted.

...for coming clean and posting a candid and concise comment that removes all doubt that its author is a fuckwit.

5. h3

Why will Google let HTC do this ? (When Acer was going to do the same thing they made them back off - this is potentially far worse as it is not for a China specific device).

1. Mikel
      Go

Open Handset Alliance

Amazon is not a member. Acer is. That is the difference. Members agree not to make incompatible forks, among other things. And they get benefits. Obviously Acer had briefly forgot that minor detail, and it is all straight now.

2. Paul Shirley

Depends on what they remove or replace.

Sony Ericsson manage to infest their devices with FaceBook integration and multiple FB apps, multiple Sony owned app stores, customise many default apps and reskin the UI. But they remove nothing Google cares about - maps is still there, the Play Store is still preinstalled and so on.

Nokia rejected Android because G wouldn't let them *replace* Google Maps. At the time Orange had no problems shipping devices with their own maps app prominently displayed along with the full G package - crucially including G Maps.

It's so easy to replace or modify key parts of the system you don't even need to fork to heavily customise Android. That said I expect FB will fork to ensure they capture as much profit as possible. With every app store containing the same apps it wont be too hard populating a shiny new FB version and they won't even need to pressure devs to include FB support since every damn app I see seems infected already.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re:

>"Why will Google let HTC do this ?"

Because Google doesn't make much profit through the play store. And even if it's a Facebook or Amazon phone, Google will still get all the search, maps, gmail, youtube, etc - which is where they actually make money on mobile.

4. SuccessCase

"Why will Google let HTC do this ?"

Because they don't have any choice. HTC have signed up with the Android handset alliance. Not Facebook. Google can stop HTC Forking Android if they wish to remain a member if the Alliance. But they can't, through the alliance, stop HTC being a hardware supplier to Facebook because that would get them a fast track referral to the FTC for anti-competitive practice. Threatening HTC with losing membership of the Alliance for supplying a competitor would be as clear a breach of the law as if they were to threaten the same if a member were to produce Windows or Tizen phones.

What is more interesting to me is that it's now clear that Google have lost control of the Android brand (it can be and is often used without referral to Google's legal dept), and that despite this loss of control (or perhaps because of it) most suppliers are moving away from referring to Android, what does Facebook's referral to Android mean in terms if the extent of collaboration between Facebook and Google? I guess we will find out soon.

6. Busby

Who wants to bet sharing is not only really easy when you want to but almost impossible to avoid when you don't?

Now in some respects there's not a lot of difference between Facebook and Google they both want to own us much of your data as possible. However Google want to sell an anonomised version to advertisers Facebook want to do that but also plaster it all over your wall as well.

Can see there being a one click to post to wall icon which is very easily pressed when using your phone for something you would prefer to keep private. Especially if as expected its like every other phone out there which is a slab that's all screen. Far too easy to hit the wrong thing on screen and can see a lot of accidents happening this way. If nothing else expect to see the amount of posts on Lamebook increase dramatically.

7. Blain Hamon
    Trollface

Yeah, but...

Will these run Google+ and Twitter?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How Mobe Makers Make Money

Interesting split between how the various manufacturers make their money...

Facebook & Google are mostly about advertising, and collecting as much info about you as possible to improve the value of those adverts.

Microsoft is all about software, selling that to other companies to make the actual phones.

Samsung & Apple (+HTC, etc) are mostly about selling hardware (though Apple arguably are fully integrated software + hardware + services).

Amazon... well I guess they want you to use their devices to buy content from them, which is where they make most money.

Of those, Facebook & Google are definitely least appealing, though along with Amazon are likely to be cheaper up-front to get you in.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: How Mobe Makers Make Money

> Microsoft is all about software,

No. Wrong. Microsoft is also about collecting data and targeting advertising.

> https://advertising.microsoft.com/splitter

"""Reach your audience through MSN, Xbox, and Skype"""

"""Find out how our insights and data can help increase your ROI"""

1. Air Supply

Re: How Mobe Makers Make Money

Unlike Google, less than 1% of their gross revenue comes from advertising though. Therefore Microsoft can do things like enabling DNT header by default in Internet Explorer, which is one of the thing Google will never do with their browsers.

9. pɹɐʍoɔ snoɯʎuouɐ

and que the eletists that know it all....

the thing with this, is that if somebody plans on making a facebook phone then they believe there is a market for it.... and there probably is.....

there are a lot of people that buy expensive phones and all they do is go on facebook anyway, so why not produce a phone that just has all the functions of facebook and sell it cheap, if not give it away with a 18 month data tariff?

Its not something I would buy, but there are quite a few people that use facebook that I know would use this...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: and que the eletists that know it all....

Speaking of elitists, is that cue or queue?

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Cue the French elitists to from a queue in front of the microphone, to say "Que?"

1. Ted Treen
          Boffin

Que (in French) means "That".

An interrogative - ¿Qué? - is Spanish.

10. drowninbleach

Ugh

I constantly wish I could get Facebook OFF of my phone. I can't even fathom why anyone would want an entirely FB based OS....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: Ugh

>"I constantly wish I could get Facebook OFF of my phone."

What kind of phone do you have that you can't get rid of Facebook? That and Twitter were the first things to go to the trash on my phone. If I recall, the icons wouldn't delete on my old Crackberry, but I just made them invisible and didn't worry about them - they weren't taking any real space on the system.

Paris - because we are both confused, and we both miss our Crackberry's.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My now bricked HTC Sensation ran Android 2.3. It had FarceBook and Twatter apps (and others) that couldn't be removed.

There are other builds of Android where these 'essential' apps can't be removed.

I bricked it trying to get a Cyanogen build onto it. Sigh. That's life.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But everyone knows that any issues with android are fixed by putting on your own image which is so simple your gran can do it.

2. Gil Grissum
      FAIL

Who is really so addicted to Facebook that they are willing to go on a two year contract and be stuck with a Facebook-centric phone? I don't call people on my Facebook list. I don't even have them lumped into my current phone's phone book. Given the privacy concerns with Facebook as it is, who's really going to buy into this? They won't sell as many of these as Microsoft and Blackberry has of theirs. This is going to be a huge failure for Facebook.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Imagine Facebook taking over your camera and continually uploading spy pics to FB HQ. G+ is bad enough

4. Ted Treen
      Pint

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

H.L. Mencken

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Too right. The FB app is by far the #1 most likely app on my phone to crash too. I typically use the browser and visit their web site when I want to look at my lolcats, rather than use their terrible app. An entire OS? It'll be the next Microsoft Kin. I may have checked to see if this was an April Fools joke, but it's not funny, and the dateline says it was a few days ago.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good lord no

"Facebook OS?" Kill it with fire!

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Good lord no

> "Facebook OS?" Kill it with fire!

I can understand why you wouldn't want one, but why would you care if others would want to buy it ? What harm does it do to you ?

It is almost like you want to reduce choice so that, perhaps, they _have_ to buy what you have chosen to suit your needs.

Do Nissan owners want to blow up Toyotas ?

1. Gavin King
        Joke

Re: Good lord no

Nah... The Nissan owners are ganging up together with the Toyota owners to blow up Subarus.

12. White Root Media

This is another step for Facebook in concreting itself in our daily lives. Another recent move was them incorporating online banking for certain banks. They want to own the social experience and their challenge is leading the way. Things evolve fast and they don't want to be the next MySpace.

Dusty

White Root Media

1. Richard Plinston

. This is another step for Facebook in concreting itself in our daily lives.

In what is it "concreting itself in" your life ? It certainly isn't doing that in mine - not at all.

Why would you care if others think that facebook is a good thing, does it reduce you, does it exclude you ?

1. david bates

Yes it does...

I want to comment on a website quite often these days it'll want me to log into Facebook first...sometimes G+ is another option, but its often just Facebook.

Not gonna happen

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

our daily lives

enough of the "our" sir.

13. nuked

Oh boy. Oh boy.

14. skeptical i
    Meh

Does this mean that Fecebook will then be contained on its own phones?

And not buggering the rest of the internet?

No? *sigh* Was a nice thought though, huh?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh super, that means that ill-informed (and ill-advised?) friends will now be handing over our contact details to Facebook in the form of a phone contacts list I presume?

1. MrT

Doesn't this already happen?

The FB app permissions are only one part of it...

16. AidanCheddar

Ooookay

And the point of this is...?

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Ooookay

I'm going with ego fapping.

17. Eddy Ito
    Facepalm

FB phone TOS

You'll have to agree to be called by FB advertisers pitching everything you "like" and everything any of your contacts "like". Best of all, it will upload all the data on your phone and automatically bill you for using their services unless you "opt out" by buying another non-FB phone.

18. Fihart

Another brick in the walled garden.

Didn't this kind of approach sink AOL as a popular ISP ?

Despite the efforts of other anachronistic regimes -- China etc -- it soon becomes obvious to users that the point of the internet (and of phones) is universal access, regardless of device, provider, location.

There was a time when AOL and Compuserve were dominant. The early cellphone internet services were severely restricted. And soon gone once universal internet access became available.

The other potential mishap is the strong likelihood that FB will trawl users contact lists (as it seems to do judging by the obscure "Friend" requests I get) and start pestering non-FB phone users. This viral approach would find any buyers of FB branded phone ostracised and forced to ditch FB, or ditch the phone.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Another brick in the walled garden.

But not before the suits made millions.

19. JaitcH
    Happy

" ... the device will boot directly into the user's Facebook home screen"

Not, thankfully, in all countries. They have better, higher priority, alternatives.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

whats wrong with facebook?

Ac because I don't want to be laughed out of these forums but really..... What's so bad about it?

privacy is an issue yes,but if you don't want something available for the world to see just don't put it online. People seem to really detest facebook round here and im just not sure why. The most annoying thing I find is the invites to daft games and stupid chain letters that the unwashed masses seem to send on religiously.

I expect a great many down votes for this, so the rule is, if you bother to Down vote at least answer my question!

1. Dropper

Re: whats wrong with facebook?

It depends on your point of view and how involved you get. If you trust a corporation to hold that much personal information about yourself then good for you, after all corporates have such a good track record keeping data safe and not selling it to whoever asks. For myself, I object mostly to the spyware posing as apps/games and the facile nature of people who believe interacting on Facebook is in someway important. Attempting to keep your personal data private is pretty much a waste of time in an era when government agencies sell whatever they can get their hands on, but jumping on a website and actually helping them on purpose seems a pretty obvious exercise in self harm.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

If you trust a corporation to hold that much personal information about yourself then good for you

I'm not fond of Facebook, but I've had an account for years, in order to receive event invitations from people who insist on sending them through Facebook. (I'd dispense with that use as well, but then my wife gets annoyed that I never know what's supposed to be happening in our social life.)

But Facebook doesn't "hold ... much personal information" about me. There's no need to give Facebook any great amount of personal information - certainly nothing that's not readily available to anyone who cares to do a bit of online research. Facebook doesn't force anyone to post status updates or "like" anything or join groups or play games or upload photos. It's entirely possible to have a Facebook account and still refrain from using the features you dislike.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's gone from being a simple site to a big portal. It will end up having it's own search engine, mapping system and beyond.

It has to earn money too, so you can imagine that your information is sold for analysis.

Try deleting your data, it takes two weeks for them to cancel your profile.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now it is all clear to me...

...The reason Google made the head of Chrome OS take charge of Android as well. Looks like Google will no longer spend any more resources on the Android as the competition forks Android and takes benefit of Google's work while not contributing back to Google. With Chrome OS, possibly this could be reduced.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh dear

...it seems that after all those Symbian phones weren't so bad after all.

Anyway if this happens then incompatibility comes creeping in when certain apps won't work on FB's or Amazon's iteration of Android. Which will inevitably lead to Android's demise. Or at least it will stop the overtaking o/t other platforms since it'll be a divided camp.

Then it'll become just as messy as Linux. With every Distro being slightly different (usually enough to break something). This is good news for Apple and Microsoft. Divide and conquer under the motto "more competition is better for capitalism". Fools

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

..given what a flaky unreliable pile of crap their native Android FB app is do you really want to have a phone running more software written byctjem?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes sense

Android is the perfect OS for companies that like to leach data off of phones so it's only natural FB went with that.

25. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Amazon and Facebook OSs?

About as appealing as DIY testicular surgery with nothing more than a rusty hole punch and a soldering iron

26. W. Anderson

The significant growth of the tablet market with Amazon Kindle series and B&B Nook devices based on Android kernel, and no the introduction of specialized smartphones from Amazon and Facebook must place an enormous burden on potential Microsoft Windows 8 smartphone sales, further exacerbated by the successful sales rollout of new Blackberry 10 phones.

I look forward to even more smartphone OS choices introduced into USA based on FirefoxOS and or Ubuntu Mobile mobile operating systems that were exceptionally well received in Europe and by the behemoths of Huawei and ZTE of China. This would certainly create a bonanza for purchaser choice, which would complimented by more mobile Carrier selections and more reasonable subscription rates.

Will Facebook and soon Google become direct Mobile carriers to compete with the big four?

27. Nanners
    FAIL

Facebook

Is about to fall on their face. It better be a blessed cheap piece of kit if they want it to sell. I can't thing of one demographic that would buy it.

28. Antoinette Lacroix
    Big Brother

Not so fast

As we speak, 4 ppl already asked if the phone can be pre-ordered. These things will sell like sliced bread, I'm afraid. Let's just hope the phones content won't automatically be uploaded to FB.

1. Charles Manning

Re: Not so fast

It's just the FB "cool kids". You know, the people who bought FB shares too.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It looks as if this "new" feature will be a home page add-on

Here's a WSJ article on the topic. It's apparently going to be a Facebook home page, not an Android fork.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887324685104578390400897458828?mg=reno64-wsj

30. JeffyPooh
    Pint

It'll be a privacy leak...

Every time one makes a telephone call, it'll post the details to your Facebook page: "Bob is calling Becky." "Bob is now calling Barbara, his wife." "Bob is calling Becky again."

Barbara has logged into Facebook. "Barbara is calling Fred, a divorce lawyer..."

Some people forget how Facebook works.

31. Charles Manning

Pity they didn't choose Winphone 8

At least with Android this FBPhone might actually work.

1. Rimpel

Re: Pity they didn't choose Winphone 8

Not sure which part of that comment was sarcasm...

The android FB app is utter shite, it works for 3 days out of 30 if you are lucky so I suspect that an Android FBPhone (sic) might actually _never_ work. Which is not a bad thing...

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

facebook is blocked here

Rather feebly, so it depends which provider you are on and whether the cafe's wifi owner has a VPN.

This very slack blocking is rather effective as no-one really tried to get around it, they just wait and go somewhere else... end result is an intermittent (at best) facebook connection..

It is rather disappointing that while many on here no doubt built the early web having to remember file sizes and load times, modern developers (particularly in the US) seem to assume an always on connection, which is not even possible with 4G .. yet fail to code to graceful failure.

Recently my samsung phone stopped making calls. The android parts are fine, but no calls. So since i expected this day, when the first iphone came along ("how long before they dont make calls anymore hehe").

I have gone back to a nokia 120 and its tablets all the way now... phones screens are too small anyway, hence the raft fo monster screen 'phones'.

Bring on the FB phone, i doubt it will be that significant a player for a long time, i know as a developer I wont be rushing to get any of the following:

FB Phone

Firefox Phone

Ubunto Phone.

Or code for them unless the client pays ALL the costs.

33. bruceld

Impending disconnection

Lately I've been paying less and less attention to my Facebook. I don't really login as much as I used to, I am deleting more and more of my info, deleting pics and posting less and less information about myself and I'm even considering ditching my Facebook account completely. My friends and family know how to contact me if something important comes up. I really doubt I'd miss Facebook at this point.

This article made me wonder...if Facebook is noticing a trend in people like me who are simply spending less and less time with it, losing interest and debating closing down our accounts.

It makes sense that Zuckspergers would create technology that makes his service an absolute essential service in order to use the device. An FB account with a warm body associated with it is very valuable to Zuckspergers and advertisers. It's all about Zuckspergers ego and investors after all.

Of course its all just speculation. The reality is I don't really give a grumpy cats arse. If I managed to survive never owning an iPhone I'm sure I can survive not having an FB phone, and I am quite sure I can survive without FB...period. Let someone else give away their personal details for free to some corporation that is earning billions of dollars off of you. I also wouldn't miss knowing that thanks to FBs 'privacy' features it makes it easier for my ex's to stalk me (which I do know for a fact that they do.)

My priorities are changing. Tech gadgets and memes are not on the top of my list anymore so Zuck can stick it where his aspergers don't shine.

One thing I'd miss though is...George Takai. But then again, I'd still survive.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bunch of self-righteous tossers

- A smartphone is an increasingly popular communications device.

- Lots of people use Facebook to communicate.

- Google would like to replace Facebook.

- Facebook would like more people to use Facebook.

I can see that for business reasons a Facebook-centric fork makes sense to Facebook.

I find it funny that you self-righteous tossers posting how shit Facebook is don't see the irony in posting your vapid opinions on the web.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

In your face, book!

> Complains about vapid opinions

> Posts a vapid opinion with 4 "facts" from which only one is undubitably true.

Come on Zuck, stop the astroturfing.

35. Confuciousmobil
    Devil

Wait!

You mean there are Smartphones that aren't iPhones? :confused:

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's how it will be

Instead of multiple apps running on a phone, perhaps we're moving to a world of one locked down app per phone, so I'll buy a twitterphone, a facebookphone, an amazonphone, a yahoo!phone (the size of a house brick, just showing last week's weather in California) and so on. Only the skypephone will let me make and take calls. Sometimes.

37. Stephen 2

What day is it?

I groaned but then realised the date.

38. scarshapedstar
    FAIL

So basically it has a homescreen widget that doesn't do Twitter. Also imports contacts from Facebook, an unheard-of feature.

Next.

39. Losmeme

Whaaaa?

FB can't even deploy a decent mobile app, now they want to release a phone?! Best joke I've heard all week, and yet a total yawn at the same time!

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a mess. Even more companies creating their own Android platforms infected with crapware and data gathering.

It's becoming like buying a Windows laptop and it arriving with a thousand icons and bits of software pre-installed.

41. ecofeco Silver badge
    Trollface

TEH STUPID

IT BURNS!!!!

42. JB
    Unhappy

A Facebook OS? They can't even do a version of their terrible app for Android tablets.

43. The_Regulator

FB Phone

I for one will ask all my friends who has a fb phone then rapidly delete them from my contacts to stop the spread of what surely will be one of the most invasive devices ever released.

44. marksmith85
    Terminator

Oh lord no

TBH I cant think of anything worse than a Facebook phone

Terminator Face - because Facebook could be Skynet in disguise.....

45. Intron
    WTF?

Activity

Dave just added contact "julie" to his phone contacts, Like 3 Comments 2

Dave Just called a contact "Sex Line" for 2 mins 3 seconds, Like 15 Comments 22

Dave just added contact "Annoying Fred" to his Blocked callers list , Like 2 Comments 2

Dave just took call while driving, Like 0 Comments 11

I can see having a friend with a Facebook phone being really really annoying.

46. Nelbert Noggins

So what will google turn into closed/paid access only next?

Maybe this is the year Google feel the pressure.

Samsung launch Tizen devices

Amazon launch a phone

Facebook take the lions share of low end phone?

looking around me travelling into work Facebook is the no 1 use of phones. Make a Facebook phone which is free on a low cost contract or payg and it become the fastest selling phone.

While i'm sure it won't be a popular opinion here, my cheap lumia 620 (1/2 the price) out performs my Galaxy Nexus for signal and data on the same network on the same journey to work. No drop-outs or disconnects with the lumia.

maybe i'm wierd because like to talk on my phone, as well as stream radio, so find having a mobile signal useful.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like