back to article Microsoft says WinPhone outselling iPhone, BlackBerry

Windows Phone is outselling the iPhone in seven nations, says Microsoft mouthpiece corporate vice president of corporate communications Frank X Shaw. “Windows Phone has reached 10 percent market share in a number of countries, and according to IDC’s latest report, has shipped more than Blackberry in 26 markets and more than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. keith.nicholas
    Meh

*YAWN*

1. N13L5

Someone ought to travel over to Poland and Ukraine and point out to them how crappy Microsoft products and policies are.

2. Don Jefe
    Meh

Percentages

My old CEO used to say that talking in percentages is for when you're trying to gloss over unflattering numbers. I've found that to be correct at least 50% of the time.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not surprised, Nokia's budget Lumias are nice bits of kit and I see a lot more visibility/marketing of their stuff when I'm in India compared to here in HK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I see a lot more visibility/marketing of their stuff when I'm in India

Nothing to do with there being no Apple phone in the medium and low price range? In India that's not exactly a recipe for success (Yes, I know there are rich Indians, but far fewer than equally rich Americans).

The cheapest Lumia in the UK is now being priced to compete with the cheapest old Blackberry model. That's one way to get market share.

1. Shagbag

cheapest Lumia in the UK is now being priced to compete with the cheapest old Blackberry

And yet I STILL can't bring myself to buy WinPho (after the experience I had with WP7).

I'll take the Blackberry.

Every time.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I see a lot more visibility/marketing of their stuff when I'm in India

Funny how people whine about Apple kit being expensive, yet if Nokia produces affordable hardware it is seen as "cheap".

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

Desperation PR

How embarrassing.

6. Philip Lewis
    Megaphone

Pont of view

Point of view

When I look at that graph I see 3 things.

1: iOS's share rose last quarter

2: Adroid's share fell last quarter

3: "the rest" share fell last quarter

Another headline might have been ...

"Android's share plummets, its days are numbered - declining global share hints at fandroid exodus! (Windows Phone still irrelevant)"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Point of view

You could also say:

1. Symbian still outsells windows phones (way to pick 'em there Elop)

2. Linux based OSes outsell WinPhone, Blackberry and iOS combined

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pont of view

Beat me to it. Have an upvote.

3. csumpi
      Paris Hilton

"1: iOS's share rose last quarter

2: Adroid's share fell last quarter"

And you really believe that? After the beating AAPL took for slowing iDevice sales? And GOOG going through the roof?

Paris, obviously, because she's a virgin.

1. Steve Todd
        Stop

You seem not to understand the word "slowing". Sales were up by a healthy percentage, but not quite as much as the market were hoping. Not exponential != "slowing".

2. Philip Lewis

Re: Pont of view @csumpi

You must be the visually challenged induhvidual who down voted me.

It's not a question of what I believe. I simply used my personal examples of the Mk. I eyeball on the graphs as shown. I didn't make the graphs and it matters not a tot if I or anyone else believes them.

I am sorry if you are functionally blind and reality refuses to align with your bigoted world view.

Paris: At least she wears spectacles when needed

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Bring out your dead!

Old Man:"I feel happppppyyyyy!"

Son:No, you don't. You'll keel over any minute.

Old Man:"I think I'll go for a walk!"

*Son clubs old man and puts him on the cart*

I don't know why, but this Monty Python sketch seems very appropriate right now...

8. Erno Aho
    WTF?

Statcounter tells us something else

I'm not sure what kind of statistics Microsoft uses but for example in Russia which was mentioned as one of the Windows Phone success lands Statcounter statistics shows that WP share has been quite stable 2.5% for the last 6 months while iOS has grown from 16% to over 25% market share.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-RU-monthly-201209-201302

Statcounter puts WP to "other" category in many other of those mentioned success countries for example India and Poland, so it's hard to tell exactly how they are "kicking Apple in the core".

1. csumpi
      Paris Hilton

Re: Statcounter tells us something else

Statcounter also tells you that from January to February, Android lost some 25% market share in China.

Paris, still a virgin.

9. Mr Spock

Yeah right!

The spin gets more outrageous every time. Looking forward to hearing Tomi Ahonen on this one.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blimey, Russia "poor in GDP" per capita, bracketed together with India?

2011 GDP

Russia 21.246 (better than Argentina and Barbados, and much the same as Hungary and Poland and much of the EU)

India 3,627 (better than Papua New Guinea, but then again, less than Iraq...)

So, in round figures, Russia's GDP per capita is apporximately 6x or 600% that of India's.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except everything in Russia is owned by six people; the rest are eating out of bins.

11. Dan 55 Silver badge

"corporate vice president of corporate communications"

Now this must be an important bloke who should be listened to, he's got the word 'corporate' twice in his job title.

12. awn

It's not hard to outsel iPhone in Ukraine considering that Apple just doesn't sell it in that country at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed so, and possibly they are also blocking the presumably illegally imported ones...

“This just isn’t fair,” wept one (Ukrainian) iPhone user. “How can I now show the ladies how cool I am?”

http://www.whatson-kiev.com/index.php?go=News&in=view&id=10163

Seems no problem getting other iKit officially there though, oddly ......

13. startstuff

Cheap phones

Probably you'll find one of those phones inside cereal boxes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cheap phones

"Probably you'll find one of those phones inside cereal boxes.

No room left. Cereal boxes will be full of Nintendo Wii-Us for the foreseeable future...

14. Simon Rockman

If you are thinking about the products you are missing the point

It's all about distribution. Nokia has fantastic retail distribution, it's the world leader with Samsung in second place. I've heard drug companies complain that they can't distribute medicine to many places that Nokia (and Coca Cola) can reach.

A retailer in India makes a tiny margin on a phone and only gets three days credit. Nokia can do next day delivery, everyone else takes a week. So a retailer can sell a Nokia phone before he has to pay for it while he has to find cashflow for other devices.

Typically this is low end phone like the 1200 but when the cost of the devices ramps up it becomes even more significant.

People in India do want iPhones, A mobile phone is a significant status symbol and Apple is right there at the top, but the retailers want to sell Nokias.

It's going to be a race between Apple building out it's distribution network and the operators closing in on the "Over The Top players", by which they mean Apple and Google.

LatAm is particularly interesting, again Nokia is dominant, it was a two-horse race with Motorola but I suspect Google will have pissed that away by shutting down "non-core operations". At the moment Android is the strong LatAm OS, and that's keeping Apple out, but Telefonica is backing Firefox it a bid to fight both iOS and Android. I spoke to one senior exec of Telefonica LatAM on a bus at MWC who said he'd stop selling Andriod tomorrow if he could.

Bear in mind this is all about power over the consumer. How good or bad the phone is has nothing, or at least very little, to do with it.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. sebbie
    Happy

Subsidised phones

Being from Poland I can explain this "phenomenon" easily. There are no reasonable Apple offers from carriers, handset is available at handful of places and availability is very restricted. In Poland main criteria for buying phone is to get it free on 2-3 years contract. Nokia Lumias are free so people get them instead of feature phones. They do not use them as smartphones, rarely ever picking up handset for something other than calls, text and picture.

Is Microsoft successful only when people don't have a choice? That does remind me something... ;)

18. Ramazan

iPhones in Ukraine

As I've been told, until 2013 there were _no official sales_ of iPhones in Ukraine at all (only gray market - iPhones smuggled in from UK and Russia), but there are official iPads, iPods etc nevertheless. It's impossible to find an iPhone officially designated to be sold in Ukraine (with EU style charger at least), so actual official sales must be exactly zero.

At the same time, 5 out of 10 smartphone owners in Kiev own an iPhone, and from my 100+ acquaintances I know only one person to have a /Lumia/.

19. James Gosling
    Facepalm

Somehow I doubt....

Somehow I still doubt they are in profit, I'm pretty sure they will have spent more pushing it than they have made selling it. Seems to be the Microsoft way at present.

Their entire culture is one of inflicting products on users with an underlying assumption that the user will accept whatever they turn out, and that just isn't the reality of a world where Microsoft are increasingly less relevant.

1. Mr Spock

Re: Somehow I doubt....

> Somehow I still doubt they are in profit, I'm pretty sure they will have spent more pushing it than they have made selling it.

They have indeed. Recent stats [citation needed] show a 49% loss per handset on each Lumia sold. That's fairly horrid.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Somehow I doubt....

Correction: Nokia have lost 49% [citation needed].

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're not though are they?

Do micro€oft believe their own dog doo and eat it?

21. Toothpick
    Unhappy

That picture of Balmer is scary

Bring me solo and the Wookie.

22. Robert Moore
    Terminator

Phones on the street Vancouver Canada

I am looking to get a new phone soon, so I have been paying attention lately.

This is what I see in an average day.

iPhones Nearly half of the phone I see

Various android phones Probably close to 30% (Increasing rapidly)

Blackberry I would say about 15% and falling.

Non-smart phones 10%

I have never seen a windows phone in the wild.

Full disclosure. I have an iPhone 4, and am probably replacing it with an Android phone.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has Microsoft's PR firm been working for NK on the side?

Has Microsoft's PR firm been working for North Korea on the side? Recent releases from both have been equally bizarre.

24. The_Regulator

Low Sales Does Not Mean It's Bad

To be honest just because apple and android phones sell more doesn't mean anything other than just that. Having been an iPhone and android user in the past I enjoy the experience with my Lumia 920 more than either one of those devices, I could also care less how much people want to say MSFT sucks as it does not affect me one iota.

It is funny though how the publicity war is fought and how propaganda is used. Finally, wasn't the article published in the NY Times and what does MSFT have to do with that??

1. Michael Habel
      Facepalm

Re: Low Sales Does Not Mean It's Bad

No it just means that crapy just off Screen Tiles look like total utter shite to my eye, and I for One ain't having any of that. I've got no other problems with the tillyness of WinPho7 & 8 but those hanging tiles on the edge need to go! YUCK!

25. W.O.Frobozz

as leonard nimoy would say...

"The following story is true. And by true, I mean false."

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lame Spin.

In a few unspecified markets, some percentage numbers were vaguely mentioned without an reference to ACTUAL numbers sold.

However in the markets that matter, Windows Phone has bombed. THAT IS FACT.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like