back to article Indonesia: e-commerce firms must have local domain

Indonesia will effectively ban cross-border e-commerce and make it harder for foreign firms looking to invest in the country, by mandating that anyone wanting to sell goods online must register a local .ID domain. The Communication and Information Ministry made the announcement as part of new rules for “electronic system …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Asylum Sam

tripple?

''the size of the local e-commerce market would triple from £0.9bn in 2011 to $10bn ''

0.9 trippled = 10?

2. Derichleau
    Thumb Up

We need this in the UK

I've started a petition for the UK to achieve something similar. Basically, if a company wants to specifically target UK consumers (and UK data subjects) by operating a .co.uk website, then they should be a UK-based data controller.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We need this in the UK

I thought the UK was a part of the EU?

2. streaky
      FAIL

Re: We need this in the UK

How do you define "specifically target" on the internet? Not for nothing but anything that even smells like what the article discusses is bad bad everybody everywhere in the first world - certainly isn't something to be emulated.

3. ecofeco Silver badge
    Facepalm

The very definition...

...of "unclear on the concept".

4. Herby

Simple solution...

...Just have a single domain for a lot of business, like 'com.id' (unless it has been taken) and then have the server do a bunch of re-directs. Pretty easy if you ask me.

As was one said: "The internet treats censorship as 'damage' and routes around it."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like