back to article Join us now for all the storage whispers: Heard about the XtremIO buy?

The Vulture has been busy listening on the storage beat to rumour, (s)innuendo, gossip and insider info, taking it from the best of sources and bringing it to you for entertainment, wonder and schadenfreude. None of this is verified or conformed by vendors but it does come from the very best of sources, top table folks. Here …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M. B.

VMAX and VNX hybrid controllers...

Will this be VMAX2 and VNX2? Rumor has it the VNX2 will be a dual-socket family of systems (unlike the current single-socket systems), likely to be able to keep up with large pools of flash. I've been scouring the Internet and grilling account managers over the v2 models for a while, no one wants to spill the beans.

Fingers crossed for a big reveal at EMC World 2013.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: VMAX and VNX hybrid controllers...

EMCs own documents state that VNX currently has performance limitations with Thin Provisioning, so it does look like it needs more CPU power....I doubt they need Israeli tech to insert a dual CPU motherboard though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh my word

Looks like hybrid storage systems such as X-IO with their Hyper ISE are giving the All Flash Arrays a run for their money. Can they provide the same performance as the AFA for large datasets such as full provisioned VDI deployments?

1. Gavin Mc

Re: Oh my word

In all likelyhood, yes

The majority of full provisioned VDI deployments don't need crazy IOP numbers 100% of the time, they're extremely "bursty". Hybrid storage is all about smoothing out the bumps and delivering performance where its needed at sensible cost points.

(Disclosure - I work for X-IO)

3. Dave Nicholson

What is the mystery here?

EMC, arguably the most well-informed and well-heeled potential buyer of All-Flash Array technology, shopped around and looked at EVERYONE. Then a non-trivial amount of money was spent on the company they saw as best. XtremIO. The selection methodology probably used some sort of scorecard where each of the contenders was ranked. One can imagine that Pure scored most points for "funniest video with a dinosaur". Violin racked up serious scores in the "distance from 101 freeway" and "brightest sign" categories. Avere would have received an honorable mention for "At least they don't pretend that there will be no spinning disks in three years."

Disclosure: You guessed it. EMC guy. ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is the mystery here?

Avere also got points for dislike of NetApp.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hang on though, wasn't EMC an investor in XtremIO ?

Surely it's just a case of realising their investment and taking it to the next stage rather than some marketing-made-up due diligence process ?

1. Dave Nicholson

Apparently you will be shocked to learn that big companies invest lots of money in lots of companies.

This is the ultimate form of due diligence. Try before you buy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like