back to article Bill Gates offers big bucks for better condoms

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has rolled out a new project: a quest to find better condoms, with up to $1.1m for those who can come up with ideas that are a snug fit for some pressing problems. The quest for a better condom has become one of the Foundation's Grand Challenges in Global Health, a in order to address the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. samlebon23
    Headmaster

Imagine a condom the size of Steve Ballmer.That way, we could prevent catching the Microsoft disease.

1. Elmer Phud

It's called the 'Cameron' but Steve Bell has rights to it.

2. Bob Vistakin

Wait a minute ... this Microsoft disease - does it affect all senior management in ways too filthy for mere mortals to comprehend? I mean, here we are reading about how Bill Gates is into condoms now, whereas the last we heard he was into toilets. Is Windows 8 the logical product of this unhealthy obsession?

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Imagine a condom the size of Steve Ballmer.That way, we could prevent catching the Microsoft disease."

Not happening, something that large would be too porous. It'd leak through.

And down Bill's leg...

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

When I was but a lad...

I used to find condoms useful, for the very "drawback" mentionned by Mr Gates.

Now I find them to be a fire hazard.

They might become a MrFreeze's wrap soon.

It's hard to be a man -and to stay so.

;-)

3. Ragequit
    Joke

Hmmm..

I know graphene is flexible but I don't believe it's that flexible. Even if you could get it into that configuration it might chafe a bit. It is an excellent conductor of heat which could be helpful. Supposedly a sheet of graphene of moderate thickness can take the weight of a elephant balanced on a pencil so being hung like one shouldn't pose any issues.

The DVD bake method can even double as a handy applicator.

4. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Tech company condoms

iSheath - it's shiny, the packet has rounded corners, very well made, but too expensive for the third world.

Linux French Letters - it's free and open so you can never be sure who has used it before hand!

Windows For Love Makers 3.11 - Industry standard but very unreliable - best to use it with a third party spermicide.

Raspberry Pi-dom - Very affordable and extremely flexible but in order to cut costs there's no foil wrapper!

Java Johnnies - These have been recalled due to their poor viral resilience!

Adobe Ultra Sensitive - Thin and unreliable - used to be popular about a decade ago but rapidly declining in usage.

El Reg Rubber Ticklers - Strong premium quality latex with strategically placed pleasure notches. 8 out of 10 sex workers recommend them! or for the more demanding customer...

El Reg Paris Extra Safe - An Industrial grade prophylactic that's been clinically proven to provide the highest level of protection for the more adventurous consumer with a riskier lifestyle. You can rely on the El Reg Paris range of condoms for piece of mind no matter how debauched things get!

1. FrankAlphaXII
      Thumb Up

Re: Tech company condoms

You Sir, win the Internet. Too bad they don't do Cash n' Carrion anymore 'round these parts. I'm sure the El Reg condoms would fly off the shelves.

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Happy

Oh yes, I can just imagine they would! The branding would look quite cool too I reckon with the vulture logo on the packet and a striking red design that's bound to stand out on any chemist's shelves!

I'm pleased to hear I win the internet too, I did start wondering that obviously I have too much time on my hands to have written that, it's good to know I'm making a difference! lol

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would think the Paris Extra Safe would be a cross of a regular condom and a dental dam. This way not only is your wang (IT term) protected but so is the whole pubic area.

3. M. B.
      Thumb Up

At first I didn't know why I bothered to click on this article.

Now I do.

4. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"El Reg Paris Extra Safe"

A three meter thick layer of protection. Even gamma radiation can't penetrate it!

Or pleasure.

Or much of anything else.

Can one say, oh...

Isolated system?

5. stanimir

also make an effective family planning tool

Unless someone considers one night stands family planning, the condoms are very far from effective w/ their fail rate:

With proper knowledge and application technique—and use at every act of intercourse—women whose partners use male condoms experience a 2% per-year pregnancy rate with perfect use and a 15% per-year pregnancy rate with typical use

I understand Bill Gates may not take security seriously but that's beyond laughable - 2% w/ perfect usage and 15% w/ typical :). Here, pals we have 15% fail rate as "effective"

1. Filippo Silver badge

They're very effective compared to not using them. Also, your numbers suggest that investing in development of improved condoms is probably a good idea.

1. stanimir

I am suggesting that citing current condoms as efficient birth-control is overstatement.

For instance: Fertility "Awareness based methods e.g. standard days method, symptothermal method." are reported as 75-99% (compared to the 85% of the condom). So no exactly true "more effective than not using them".

I cannot support more condoms for STD/I prevention, yet I do not see them as effective birth-control method.

1. Triggerfish

Standard days method

My ex shared a house with a girl who used standard days method, (didn't want condoms or using the pill, etc)

It was either 3 or 4 abortions she had by the end of uni. (sorry cant remember exactly long time ago and lack of sympathy from me about the trauma of their abortions), anyway that as a mehod for birth control compared to condoms is a fail.

1. Grikath
            Boffin

Re: Standard days method

"The scientific term for women who solely rely on their period for contraception is "mother". "

2. James Micallef Silver badge
      FAIL

@stanimir - bollocks

Do you mind to share where that quote came from? Because to me it sounds like bollocks promoted by conservative christan abstinence-only family planning propaganda. AFAIK condoms are over 99% effective in real clinical trials.

15% fail rate with 'typical' usage implies more than 1 pregnancy for every 7 encounters, 2% fail rate implies 1 in 50. I'm pretty sure I don't have THAT many kids.

1. stanimir

Re: @stanimir - bollocks

Ohh, I seriously thought I had provided the source (I do not quote w/o sources). Firstly I looked up wikipedia which has adopted it from http://www.fpq.com.au/pdf/Contraception_Efficacy.pdf

Looks pretty fine source and the 98.x % I have seen written on the leaflet w/ the condoms.

The main problem w/ condoms is the friction and then then not-proper placement or size. Wrong sizes can result into a burst/tear and men are often unlikely to pull out to check if the condom is still whole.

Church propaganda would be the last thing I'd do as the Church is significantly unrepresented where I live and has close to zero influence.

Having yourself as anecdotal evidence doesn't work either. The reported rates are from females using the method.

Also 2% fail rate based on attempts would be 0.98^50 ~ .36 chance to get pregnant after 50 attempts w/ 2% chance - I mean your math is incorrect.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Re: @stanimir

Thanks for the link and the maths correction... I'll have to give myself a downvote :)

> 30% chance of pregnancy after 50 'perfect uses' still seems a bit on the high side to me but I guess they know what they're talking about - the site seems kosher.

"The main problem w/ condoms is the friction and then then not-proper placement or size. Wrong sizes can result into a burst/tear and men are often unlikely to pull out to check if the condom is still whole."

Yes that's right, having a combination of strength + sensistivity is th 'holy grail' that I guess Mr Gates is looking for. Of course compared to all the other contraceptive methods, condoms have 1 more 'killer' functionality, which is prophylactic, which none of the other methods provide, so still required.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @stanimir

30% chance of pregnancy after 50 'perfect uses'

That would be better phrased as a 30% chance that you might get pregnant after 50 "perfect uses". Not that you will, as it appears to say, also without protection, those trying to get pregnant will find it takes 50odd tries, sometimes more.

1. stanimir

Re:30% chance of pregnancy after 50 'perfect uses'

I didn't discuss getting pregnant in general as that involves ovulation, the swimmers actually being able to make it to the final destination and so on.

It was only regarding Math and probabilities. But yeah, probably unclear.

1. Grikath

Re: Re:30% chance of pregnancy after 50 'perfect uses'

And you're still getting your Maths wrong... Each and every time you use a condom the chance of failure due to [list of circumstances] is simply 2%. It's a die-toss, not compound chance.

Even so, the main reason to use condoms, especially when you sleep around a bit ( or if you're lucky, a lot) , is not contraception, but the prevention of attracting/transmitting an STD. There's a reason Chlamydia and Gonorrhea are on the rise again.... And the former can be carried by males, the latter by females without any serious symptoms, if at all in the early stages, even when they are infectuous right from the start..

But hey...the things are "inconvenient".

1. John 48
                  WTF?

Re: Re:30% chance of pregnancy after 50 'perfect uses'

I seem to recall reading that the effectiveness stats were actually based on couples using them correctly for a year rather than the failure rate per shag. So a 2% failure rate would suggest 2 unwanted pregnancies in a year of correct usage by 100 couples. Still not perfect but far better odds.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @stanimir - bollocks

"and a 15% PER-YEAR pregnancy rate with typical use"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you've missed the point - Bill is trying to get a more effective condom developed. That means more user friendly in terms of those whining males who refuse to wear them "because it doesn't feel the same" despite the risk of transmission of fatal diseases and less prone to failure.

I realise that people here love to demonise Bill, but really your attempt is piss poor. A recent study found that ~60% of girls in the upper years of South African schools were HIV+, comparing to ~4% of boys (IIRC). If the men that are having sex with these girls could be persuaded to wear condoms those girls would have a life to look forward to. What Bill is doing is a very good thing.

6. Kevin Johnston

A Thought

am I allowed to mention Microsoft, condoms and (in)security holes in the same phrase?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A Thought

"am I allowed to mention Microsoft, condoms and (in)security holes in the same phrase?"

Just so long that I can point out that Linux distributions have a lot more (in)security holes than any Microsoft product....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just some bigger ones that don't break would be a good thing.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Spray-on condoms! *

* idea courtesy of Ben Elton

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just give us a male pill already

More and more the advice is to use two forms of contraception. Condom + Male pill sounds like a combo I would be happy with so where is it?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Just give us a male pill already

Then men will either use the pill or lie about being on the pill rather than use a condom, and continue to spread diseases.

2. tkioz

The male pill has been in the pipeline since forever. Even if it was only, say, 90% effective, combine it with the female pill, and you've got a damn near perfect contraception.

Unfortunately, the male pill wont really solve the major problems better condoms help with, STD transmission in Africa, and it wont make it out into the developing world due to patents and prices.

3. James Micallef Silver badge

Was reading about this last year, some guy in India invented a way to do a 'reversible vasectomy' basically inserting some sort of gel to block the tubes*. No health company wanted to touch it because it would destroy their research efforts for male pill + their nice little cash cows for the female pill. I think he's been getting some grant from Indian gov to develop the idea.

But even so, that (and a 'male pill') will only 'solve' the contraception problem, not the prophylactic one, so, great for committed partners who want to experience more pleasure and less inconvenience... but still I would think that a huge proportion of human sexual activity is carried out with a casual partner, and it would take crazy reckless or completely ignorant** to trust a random guy/girl at their word that they're 'clean'. So better condoms is a great initiative from Mr. Gates

*oversimplification warning!

**in the true sense of the word of 'not knowing', this does NOT mean stupid

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I served in the Army with a bloke who CLAIMED to have what amounted to an on-off switch in his plumbing. According to him, his doctor had inserted very small, gold-plated, valves in his vas deferens and he could turn them off until he was ready to start popping out rug rats... Of course, he had to visit his doctor to make the change. No one in the company believed him, and he had no way to prove it... at least not without an x-ray.

1. Vic

> his doctor had inserted very small, gold-plated, valves in his vas deferens

Dubbed the "Phaser" by its inventor, the "Golden Tap" (IIRC) by the Americans, and the "Stopcock" by the brits.

Sank without trace, it appears...

Vic.

4. Corinne

I think of all the guys I've know (in both the biblical and platonic sense!) there's about 3 I would trust with sole control of contraception - and one of them I'm not 100% sure about! This is simply down to the fact that the potential downside of contraceptive failure is nowhere near as life changing for a man as it is for a woman, and therefore not as high a priority for them.

I'm afraid I'd have to know a guy really well to trust them if they told me they'd taken their pill every day on time with no misses!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which is part of the reason why they recommend multiple forms of contraception. Let both parties take responsibility at the same time.

There are 0 women I would trust with sole control of contraception. It's too big a deal for one party to take it over.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Too big a deal for one party

Truer words have rarely been spoken:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/274495936.html

9. Cliff

Jokes aside, credit to the man.

The foundation he set up with his wife isn't constrained by appeasing donors sensitivities, so can back some grander plans. Malaria research is one of their big areas as it isn't 'sexy' so doesn't attract big pharmaceutical company investment as there is no 'return'.

Similarly, I can't see swathes of Catholics for instance wanting to donate to a condom competition, but the foundation has clearly thought the problem through, bit of cost benefit analysis, and thought this worth a punt as the benefit is globally staggering.

Full credit where due.

10. tkioz

Odd that they didn't have a category for reusable condoms. Wait before you throw something at me, they use to exist before the latex condoms came into vogue, but they were terrible things.

A condom that is reusable, reliable, and enhances pleasure could go a long way to help with the STD epidemics in Africa. Of course so could religious leaders getting off their moral high horse and endorsing them...

1. JDX Gold badge

In countries where hygiene is a problem, you want them to try washing condoms? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Another con is that it would have to be much more durable and therefore it's harder to make it as comfortable as current disposables.

A pro, you can make it more expensive so different materials are in reach.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

"Odd that they didn't have a category for reusable condoms. Wait before you throw something at me, they use to exist before the latex condoms came into vogue, but they were terrible things."

Geronimo!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Reusable....

A Scottsman went into the chemists, and laid the remains of a tattered prophylactic on the counter. "How much tae fix this?"

The chemist, biting back his nausea, said "Look, I have a full box here, 20p. Why don'"

The Scottsman interrupts "Thots tae much! Just how much tae repair?"

"Look, I'm not supposed to do this, but: there's 10 in a pack, I'll sell you one for 2p"

And again, the Scottsman interrupts "I'm nae made o money, am I lad?"

The chemist finally says "OK, look, maybe with a bit of rubber cement I can fix this for 1p, but really? 2p for a new one?"

The Scottsman holds up a finger, and steps out of the shop. A few moments later, he steps back in.

"Your offer is good, but the regiment votes to repair!"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fair enough

Given that he's been a dick all his life he should have some valuable insight.

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: Fair enough

Oh yeah, the guy who has been dedicating most of his life and profit to charity. What a dick.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

"Oh yeah, the guy who has been dedicating most of his life and profit to charity. What a dick."

Yep. Stealing money off people by corrupt and crooked means is being a dick.

Using that money to buy himself a reputation is still being a dick.

If he wants to give that money back, I'll be happy to decide for myself which charity to support with it, and I won't even insist that they put my name over the door or buy my company's products in return. That would be something only a dick would insist on.

2. MacGyver
      Happy

He started out with the wrong mindset, he came around when it counted, now he acts like we all should. He now tries to make the world a better place, there is nothing wrong with that.

12. Skrrp
    Thumb Up

He doesn't need to go on a search for a better condom

They exist; Pasante Unique:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=3456 *

Non latex, silicon lube safe, thin and strong. Amazing things. G/f and I love them.

* Other shops are available, couldn't find the actual manufacturer on the first page of Google. Yes, I am lazy.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: He doesn't need to go on a search for a better condom

Good mob Pasante...had a mousemat from them (courtesy of my wife who was a Sexual Health Nurse at the time) which showed a range of their condoms with sizes. You wouldn't believe how many people at work tried to steal it from me, had to take it back home in the end or risk losing it.

13. Homer 1
    Childcatcher

Philanthropy?

Is this about HIV or eugenics?

1. Thecowking

Re: Philanthropy?

It's about diseases, including HIV.

Hope that clears it up for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Philanthropy?

"It's about diseases, including HIV.

Hope that clears it up for you."

Wrong. It's about Bill Gate's ego.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Talking of Wang

I couldn't find this on a quick google at work, but Wang ran a full page advert back in the 80's.

It had a one word strap-line. I'm not making this up, it said "Cares".

It only ran for a couple of weeks for some reason? :-)

15. Paul Bullough

X-Box

Somehow, the X-Box brand name seems more appropriate for condoms than consoles.

16. IronSteve

I don't even think it's the sensation that's the problem..Durex Featherlites are pretty decent.

...Now if they can invent something that takes away that awkward moment when you have to interrupt foreplay to hunch over (bare arsed) at the side of the bed and fumble around in the dark (or even worse..turn the light on) to fiddle with a fuckin' sachet while an increasingly impatient woman getting more and more out of the mood is peering over your shoulder....

17. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

what is the HIV growth rate in the thrid world these days?

High IIRC.

I think this is an excellent idea. Making it work is going to be tricky but the payoff is huge.

HIV/AIDS and other STDs are a huge burden and barrier methods are the only real way that this is going to be stopped. It's sad someone gets these diseases and they cannot be cured but why should their wives/mistreses/prostitutes pay for their stupidity.

It'll be interesting if the get static from the swivel eyed loons religious right in America for this.

Thumbs up for working on a big issue that the US govt probably won't touch.

1. sisk

Re: what is the HIV growth rate in the thrid world these days?

Actually recent (VERY recent, like yesterday) reports show that they may now be able to 'functionally cure' HIV if they catch it early enough. My medical knowledge is above average*, but I'm still not quite sure what they mean by 'functionally cure' and the article I read was in a medical periodical so it didn't go into details for the uninitiated.

*Mostly due to being around medical professionals (both my parents, several aunts, an uncle, my sister, and numerous friends of the family) a lot. Sort of like how my wife knows more about computers than the average person just from having had to puzzle out what I'm talking about so often even though she's not a geek by any definition.

18. Rol

Psst, fancy a shag?

Place a small "hood" over the end and liberally spray on an aerosol of rubber solution.

This will stay put through the ups and downs and obviously one can fits all.

It can also be applied before the blood rushes out of your brain, so avoiding the fumbling moments pre coital.

Might want to shave first, or scream later. Yeah, I'm still working on that oversight, anyone got any solvent that releases rubber from an intimate fit.

1. sisk
      Joke

Re: Psst, fancy a shag?

anyone got any solvent that releases rubber from an intimate fit.

Actually yes. Acid of the hydrochloric or sulfuric types works well for removing rubber. There's a slight flaw in there somewhere that I can't quite get a grip on.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Psst, fancy a shag?

@sisk

"...I can't quite get a grip on"

you're holding it wrong.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But God hates condoms

But who listens to him anymore, eh?

20. stu 4
    Holmes

japseye bag

I was thinking - as long as your primary purpose was family planning and not disease control - what you want to a wee inflatable bag you stick in yer japs-eye - sort of plugs in with an expanding plastic plug.

has a wee rubber teat on the end that hold the man juice.

pros: no loss of feeling

cons: might be a bit of a difficult sell to get folk to plop into their bell end.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: japseye bag

Have you considered that "japseye" is a pretty racist comment?

No? Think about it for a second.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Have you considered that "japseye" is a pretty racist comment?"

Yes. And? I always believe in calling a spade a spade....

2. Triggerfish

My brother had a urinary catheter removed while in a cheap hospital in Asia years ago, he claims with no anesthetic. On balance after hearing about it I think no. :)

21. sisk

Nanotech in condoms??

Wouldn't putting nanotech into condoms make them a bit too expensive to ever be as widespread as the current latex models are?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free cpndoms make safer sex??

One way to popularize them in the Free World would be to give them away.

Perhaps Microsoft would pay for having their logo and "Windows 8" in neon color on the product?

1. Allen Versfeld

Re: Free cpndoms make safer sex??

In South Africa they are free, wrapped in 10-packs in dispensers all over the place: I've seen them in Corporate, university and government toilets. The dispensers are usually empty, though - demand exceeds supply. Which is weird because they're supplied by the state, meaning lowest cost bidder: Inconsistent lubrication (Often only enough to cover the first 5 cm's or so...), and nice thick latex. Given the choice between sex with one of those babies and no sex at all... well it's not an easy choice.

They do make EXCELLENT water balloons, though - easily take 5 litres without bursting!

23. Herby
    Coat

Too many jokes here to enumerate them all

Just sayin'

Probably many of them are NSFW as well.

Bye...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could this be...

...the only good thing for mankind that Bill has done? Well, he hasn't done it yet, but I would sure like to see some advancement in both the application and experience side of things.

25. Richard 15

How about we start with more proper sizes?

Some condoms are just too damn narrow.

What we really need are custom fit condoms that can go on quickly and still be safe.

I saw something close being advertised for Europe, but never heard more to think

it went into release.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree

I struggle to get them over my head, and they never go past my shoulders!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Large and flavoured please.

I can buy large* condoms. I can buy flavoured condoms. But there aren't any which are both large and flavoured. The large ones all have the standard spermicide which smells and tastes disgusting, it is very off-putting. So please, let me buy a large one which isn't covered in that unpalatable stuff!

*Yes I have a large penis. Some guys do, deal with it.

27. Urh
    Trollface

This is the one time....

....where a single-install EULA would actually make sense for a Microsoft product. Will I use one? Probably not. Considering the reputation Microsoft products have when it comes to viruses, I'm understandably cautious.

This topic is closed for new posts.