back to article Experts doubt Anonymous Mossad spy outing claims are kosher

Hacktivists claim to have published leaked data on more than 30,000 Israeli officials, including members of Israel's Mossad secret service agency. The boast by members of Anonymous follows a denial of service attack against the Mossad website (www.mossad.gov.il) over the weekend as part of the ongoing #OpIsrael protest. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Naughtyhorse

list people with homes in Palestinian towns

so that will be _next weeks_ addresses then.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

Not kosher?

Is this the "Lasagne Dump"?

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: Not kosher?

Indeed, horse is not kosher

3. Andrew Moore
    Black Helicopters

Bias?

I would probably give the report a little more creedence if it wasn't coming from Tel Aviv...

1. Anonymous (Noel) Coward
      Devil

Re: Bias?

Yep, 30,000 is a definitely bit suss.

They should have said "Six Million".

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Facepalm

Members of the Israeli Defense Forces?

Given that military service is compulsory for most Israelis (quite a few orthodox Jews are exempt, despite being very militant), and can be called up at any time as reservists, it might be quicker to list those Israelis not in the IDF.

Just my tuppence

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Members of the Israeli Defense Forces?

No, ultra-orthodox haven't been exempt since August 1st, 2012. I do wish that people would stop asserting this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Members of the Israeli Defense Forces?

Yeah, I mean his information about another countries long standing local policies are about six months out of date...

2. Not That Andrew
        Thumb Up

Good. those shit stirrers are responsible for the present mess Israel is in.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

« Good. those shit stirrers are responsible for the present mess Israel is in. »

Who? Anonymous? :)

1. Not That Andrew

Re: Shit Stirrers

No, the Orthodox and Ultra-orthodox Jews and their political hangers-on. Murdered Yitzhak Rabin and then deliberately pissed off the Palestinians so much they restarted the Intifada.

5. Roger Stenning
    Flame

Oh for crying out loud...

...the Israelis aren't amateurs; they wouldn't put classified material like that on a system connected to the internet; it's most likely stored on a system isolated from the web, if it's even held on computer at all, rather than a tall filing cabinet holding a shitload of index cards (Noclist that, you hapless twerps!). That much is pure common sense, and ever so obvious.

As to "but the claims that they hacked the Mossad site and got a list of Mossad agents is most likely psychological warfare": Bullshit. It's not PsyOps. It's attempts by spotty-faced armchair warriors at bragging. Calling it PsyOps is plainly and simply wrong. PsyOps suggests a team of trick cyclists - ahem, excuse me, Psychiatrists - mapping out how to mentally destabilise an enemy military force in the run up to an invasion. Genuine national military services spend Lord knows how much money on such psychobabble stuff. A small group of spotty-faced teenagers wearing Guy Fawkes masks is not even close to having such resources.

Really, it grips my shit when some excuser comes along and tries to legitimise a bunch of armchair wankers who can't even shave yet.

Flames, because, well, obvious, innit >:-(

1. Chris G

Re: Oh for crying out loud...

Wot 'e said above.

Even the most amateurish security service would not keep a list of agents with addresses and contact details even close to an online source. They also do not keep info on large numbers of agents in a list of all or many of them otherwise you are looking at a blow one blow them all situation, even the boss would not know all of their assets. MI5 might have gone that route in the fifties when half of the staff were Russian agents anyway but unlikely nowadays.

1. John Deeb
        Big Brother

Or perhaps armchair movie and book lovers would just assume a foreign security service could not be that stupid only to find out reality can be way more crude and dumb than they ever would consider in their wildest fantasies.

2. John 90

You haven't seen Skyfall then?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. FrankAlphaXII
      Black Helicopters

I don't know.

I would say it does indeed count, its god awful but it counts. Its not very effective as it isn't really anything but a list of what is most likely publicly available information from some poorly secured Israeli CRM or sales database, but it does count. They're playing toward a Palestinian audience which is probably the most paranoid and prone to belief in conspiracy theories of the many various groups with an axe to grind in the middle east. Its not exactly surprising they're like that either given their circumstances.

Its very amateurish, but its still a psychological operation as defined as "induction or reinforcement of foreign attitudes and behavior favorable to U.S. national insert name of nation, group or organization here's objectives." (paraphrased from US Army FM 3.05-30). You're thinking way too narrowly about one aspect of the subject. To anyone who isn't pro-Palestinian, this isn't very credible, whereas I'm sure at least some of the papers in the West Bank, Gaza, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan are treating this as more fact than fiction already.

4. Naughtyhorse

I think Gary Mcinnon might disagree about secret info stored on net facing computers.

but what does he know about it?

A senior military officer at the Pentagon;

"This was not some harmless incident. He did very serious and deliberate damage to military and Nasa computers and left silly and anti-America messages. All the evidence was that someone was staging a very serious attack on US computer systems"

oh yes, quite a bit as it goes.

1. Psyx
        FAIL

There is a world of difference to what the USG describe as 'secret' when prosecuting people and an unencrypted list of sources, complete with their real names and addresses.

The idea that such a file would exist in a single compiled, uncompartmentalised form, complete with real names and addresses *on a web server* is laughable.

Kids bragging and talking shite is what this is.

It seems like fun and games until your mobile phone blows up, I'm sure...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Naughtlyhorse - I've seen it said a few times, from moderately reliable sources (which I would classify either side as) that McInnon deliberately carried out recursive file deletes on Windows and UNIX servers.

However, McInnon's side claim he just tried blank passwords, which is simply not credible as the chances of UNIX and Windows systems belonging to Air Force and NASA (ie: at least four different server builds) all having blank passwords is vanishingly unlikely.

I've also worked with several people who have Asberger's and they all knew the difference between legal and illegal/right and wrong. These were people who had sufficiently severe Asbergers that it was diagnosed before they were in their 40s. They are also of the generation where it wasn't picked up at school.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...it grips my shit..."

+1 for that phrase. It gives me something to move onto from the Aussie "shits me to tears"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It really doesn't matter

I expect those responsible for the DDoS and any hacking will die a very painful death - soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It really doesn't matter

It always amuses me the way everyone thinks Mossa'ad are awesome... except anyone who actually works in the intelligence business. I guess it's similar to the way CEOs think Accenture and Crapita are great, in the face of all evidence and sane reasoning.

I doubt if they got any actual operatives. Nobody's that stupid. Pretty stupid, yes, but not that stupid.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It always amuses me the way everyone thinks Mossa'ad are awesome... except anyone who actually works in the intelligence business

Hmm. Their main advantage is that they are not terribly encumbered by red tape, and as a consequence rather agile. Put another way, if Wikileaks had ever leaked real internal Mossad documents there would not be a large use of visitor Ferrero Rochers at the Ecuadorian embassy right now..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I expect those responsible for the DDoS and any hacking will die a very painful death - soon."

Hope you're right!

7. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Alert

Why are security services exempt from incompetence ?

I love the reasoning that this data can't possibly be real because "no one would be that incompetent".

I would submit that anyone whose posted that needs to step away from the internet now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Why are security services exempt from incompetence ?

I can second and triple that. Based on data I got into my fingers and which should never have been disclosed to me. Not by hacking, but by good-old theft by persons who were trusted by the owners to keep them secure.

Only data generated using typewriters will be secure, until they invent something which could be called a concealable mini-camera.

Computers, muhahahahaha. Every second sysadmin dick will pilfer your computer with his USB dongle if you let him close to your machine.

Embassies using freelance sysadmins...you connect the spots of dirt.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Typewriter data was obtained by swapping the ribbon. Especially the electric golfball machines were prone to that, if I recall correctly they used a one-time ribbon for character quality. Very helpful.

Anyone who only has one layer of defence (technology only) should not be in that business, or has been set up to deliberately leak information.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And I assume..

>#OpIsrael is building up to a planned attack on 7 April that aims at "erasing Israel from the internet" in protest >against its treatment of the Palestinian people.

.. that they'll also be erasing Thailand (because of their treatment of the Tamils), erasing China because of their treatment of Tibet, erase Russia because of their treatment of Jews, erase the Uk because of their treatment of whole civilisations during the Empire period, erase the US because of their treatment of minorities like American Indians, blacks, Asians..

Well, you get the idea. Nowt to stupid as blind prejudice from whichever side. That does include the Israelis as well as the Palestinians.

9. Stevie

Er...

Dangerous to tweak the nose of Mossad I would think.

Memory suggests they don't give a flying f*ck if you have Asperger's or not.

10. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

RE: Why are security services exempt from incompetence ?

There's a rumor that there is a sign in the CIA gift shop at Langley HQ warning NOC agents not to purchase items with their credit cards.

That they would even have to remind agents indicates they are employing those that aren't the brightest bulbs in the marquee.

11. hEdly
    Paris Hilton

irresponsible

even if they did get that information, it is really irresponsible of them to publish it. That makes them targets. if they are folks in the west bank and gaza, they could be informants that help with locating rocket sites.

Or maybe they are just people they are watching.

They will likely be dragged down the street before they can even get to explain. Really a dumb move that may endanger many countless lives.

- Paris, because even she knows innocent people could die from this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

......... innocent people could die from this.

There are no innocents on Mossad's books - only collateral damage.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Petraeus: Head of CIA, couldn't hide affair.

13. Gordon Pryra
    Pirate

Considering Mossads reputation.

That was a bit fucking stupid wasn't it?

if its true then the script kiddies time on earth is probably very limited

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Considering Mossads reputation.

And not a tear will be shed when that happens.

This topic is closed for new posts.