back to article EMC rakes in more of the world's storage, others struggle

EMC is controlling more and more of the world's disk storage and Oracle is controlling less and less, according to trackers at Gartner. In a report on the worldwide external controller-based disk storage market released on Thursday, EMC had 34.2 per cent of the market in the quarter and recorded revenues of $2.067bn – a 6.7 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Facepalm

I didn't know Oracle made storage

I'm not trolling, this is genuine ignorance. I guess that means their marketing is letting the side down.

1. K

Re: I didn't know Oracle made storage

They just don't seem to pimp to anybody except existing customers. Never once have I been asked to consider Oracle hardware (I wouldn't), but my point is, they don't seem bothered or otherwise capable of finding new distributions channels.

2. J.T

Re: I didn't know Oracle made storage

He doesn't. He makes servers with flash pci cards in them, just like every other lame startup with no engineering chops but the ability to buy fusion io cards. Well, to be fair, they have a lot of tape units.

I realize by talking bad about Oracle I'll get a few thumbs down, but there's a few facts about Oracle "Storage" that make it awful.

1. ZFS and software raid. The amount of usable you will get is greatly reduced due to overhead, lack of proactive sparing, and other features that require a lot.

2. Growing trays require you to grow two at once

3. Once you go over 80% utilization the head changes its performance algortyhm to greatly reduce performance

4. No thought has been put into heating/cooling, so you're adding in a lot of furnaces to your data center.

5. Prices that make EMC look competative, especially when they hit you with the software maintenance

6. It's the same terrible SUN and Oracle support folded together.

There's a reason most SUN engineer based startups went titsup (3PAR a famous counter example), they have the software chops to get throughput but almost no basis in intelligent hardware design.

3. M. B.

Larry's ego makes storage...

...it was formerly Pillar Data Systems (majority owned by Larry) and Oracle bought up the company to try and expose it to more customers, I suppose. We have significant investments in Oracle software unfortunately, and they try to sell us the kitchen sink on occasion, but they have never once tried to sell me their storage.

Their ZFS appliances aren't bad, just badly priced. I can do NetApp for a whole lot less, especially in the entry and mid-range configurations, which means tons of good software to integrate the storage into my applications/systems.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could it be that everybody finally got that Oracle are slimebags

Slimebags you should avoid when ever you can?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like